Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody knows if the windshield for the speed 6 is different than for the normal 2006 mazda 6. I will be needing to replace mine very soon - a small rock jumped diagonally across the highway from 2 lanes over and gave me a star crack. By the time I got home, one of the cracks grew by an inch.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just wondering if anybody knows if the windshield for the speed 6 is different than for the normal 2006 mazda 6. I will be needing to replace mine very soon - a small rock jumped diagonally across the highway from 2 lanes over and gave me a star crack. By the time I got home, one of the cracks grew by an inch.
[/b]

Can't answer your question, but I totally know how much that sucks. I was following a gravel truck by about 200ft at 65 mph in my supercrew and saw a 2" rock fly from the dump bed and bounce a couple times - seemed like in slow motion - then smack into my hood creating a nice ding, then crashed into my windshield creating a huge crack. The irony is had I been in the MS6 it would have bounced right over me! $250 later I had a new windshield...

bummer, sorry man

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yea they are different!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Holy cow! Don't you guys have glass coverage on your insurance? (It's called comprehensive.)

Coming back from Colorado when our 6 was less than a year old some gravel from a truck on the interstate flew up and chipped the windshield in two places. A day later both chips had expanded into lateral cracks. I had it replaced at the best auto glass place in town and insurance paid for it all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Holy cow! Don't you guys have glass coverage on your insurance? (It's called comprehensive.)

Coming back from Colorado when our 6 was less than a year old some gravel from a truck on the interstate flew up and chipped the windshield in two places. A day later both chips had expanded into lateral cracks. I had it replaced at the best auto glass place in town and insurance paid for it all.
[/b]

Yes it's different and no the mazda6 windshield wont fit. and the VIN hole is in the wrong place. I ate a windshield 400 miles into ownership then the glass place tried to bang in a standard 6 windsheild and thought I wouldnt notice.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

[/b]
Yes, I have comprehensive, but the deductible is higher than the cost of a windshield in most cases (last time I had a windshield replace -16 months ago - it was only just over 200) - not worth it.

Anyway, thanks for the info about the vin location, etc. I will contact my glass place and let them know - the crack has now grown to over a foot long.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes it's different and no the mazda6 windshield wont fit. and the VIN hole is in the wrong place. I ate a windshield 400 miles into ownership then the glass place tried to bang in a standard 6 windsheild and thought I wouldnt notice.
[/b]
Uhh, the windshield will in fact fit, but the VIN hole is wrong. I had a standard Mazda6 windshield on my MS6 for approx 2 weeks while the replacement was on order.

·
Registered
127 Posts
And most windshields come with the mirror mount pre-attached (at least the ones I've done on my other cars.

That said...the MIRROR MOUNT ain't the same either as a standard 6.

Sux...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And most windshields come with the mirror mount pre-attached (at least the ones I've done on my other cars.

That said...the MIRROR MOUNT ain't the same either as a standard 6.

Sux...
[/b]
I am actually talking to the glass dealer about just taking the normal 6 one, taking off the black stuff so my vin will show and going with that. They are having trouble getting speed6 one even from dealers and as for the mirror mount, I was wanting to get an autodim/compass anyway so I would need to switch the mount then anyway.

The more time goes by, the less I like this car. Who ever heard of different windshields for different trim levels on the same car (yes, I know, I know - MS6 made in japan, blah blah blah).

·
Registered
201 Posts
The more time goes by, the less I like this car. Who ever heard of different windshields for different trim levels on the same car (yes, I know, I know - MS6 made in japan, blah blah blah).
[/b]
I would have never thought someone would look at this as a NEGATIVE. The fact that this car is the only 6 built in Japan was a HUGE selling point for me.

I was the one that ran into all of the difficulties in this thread Speed6 Windshield. Eventually you learn that owning a semi-exclusive (>5000) car comes with its downfalls... but it has a HUGE amount of positives to someone that is into cars. This windshield issue was minor compared to some of the things I have had to deal with in the past.

I'm really over all of the negativity. This car is fun as hell to drive, has a useable back seat for us "old folk" and looks awesome to boot. Yes... it has it's bugs, but so does EVERY car out there.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would have never thought someone would look at this as a NEGATIVE. The fact that this car is the only 6 built in Japan was a HUGE selling point for me.

I was the one that ran into all of the difficulties in this thread Speed6 Windshield. Eventually you learn that owning a semi-exclusive (>5000) car comes with its downfalls... but it has a HUGE amount of positives to someone that is into cars. This windshield issue was minor compared to some of the things I have had to deal with in the past.

I'm really over all of the negativity. This car is fun as hell to drive, has a useable back seat for us "old folk" and looks awesome to boot. Yes... it has it's bugs, but so does EVERY car out there.
[/b]
I am an old folk too - I bought this car instead of something like and STi or EVO because it seems more refined and mature. The back seat is nice (a bit bigger than my Focus SVT 5 door), but I really missed having the hatchback a couple weeks ago when I needed to pick up a couple of cabinets. :)

My father worked for Ford most of his life and this is my second Japanese car (wife got an RSX last year) and to be quite honest, I am noticing more problems than I had on my domestic cars. Of all the things that could be different I just wonder why does the VIN has to be in a different place? I have had exclusive cars before (SVTs) produced in similar numbers and fortunately they shared things like windshields. ;)

I am unhappy about some strangeness going on with my clutch (pedal pressure varies from day to day and sometimes I smell something that may be clutch). I am unhappy with the performance since the flash - the car is just not the same (plus I lost a couple mpg since then also). Yesterday pulling out of the glass place, the engine stumbled bad pulling out onto the highway - like a bad misfire or something.

At this point I just want to get the windshield replaced (I could care less if they use a normal 6 windshield as long as they make the VIN visible) so I can focus on other things (like putting some winter tires on and figuring out what is wrong with the clutch).

I hope things straighten out soon. I was one of the people that bought before they started dropping prices (I got S-Plan on a GT - 30K) so I can't even trade the thing in at this point without losing my ass. :(

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was wanting to get an autodim/compass anyway so I would need to switch the mount then anyway.[/b]
I originally ordered the mirror with Homelink -- that one is not available for the MS6 with the Japanese mount.

However, the compass autodim is available and is installed in the car. You should be able to get that from Mazda for the MS6.

What a waste of money....I would not have paid for it. I really wanted Homelink instead.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I originally ordered the mirror with Homelink -- that one is not available for the MS6 with the Japanese mount.

However, the compass autodim is available and is installed in the car. You should be able to get that from Mazda for the MS6.

What a waste of money....I would not have paid for it. I really wanted Homelink instead.
[/b]
This was actually the bright spot I had when my windshield was replaced. The guy from Glass Doctor was nice enough to remove the mirror button from the stock windshield and replace it with the correct one... which I beilieve is a standard "Ford" style.

The AutoDimming/Compass/Homelink mirror now fits like a charm in mine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts