Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently deployed overseas. The wife sent me this picture of the window trim on her 07 Mazda 6, this is on all 4 door windows. Will a windshield replacement place fix this or should I have her take it to the dealer?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've never seen that happen before, even to cars older than 10 years. Do you have any idea how that happened? As for fixing the issue, I would have her call around and ask. There shouldn't be any charge for a price quote over the phone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know what caused it. I'm in Iraq so my wife took it to the dealer for repair. It was expensive.
Dealer told my wife it happens to several cars and have no idea was causes it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
same thing happening on my passenger side. shit looks really brittle.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
mine is still pretty pliable. but i could def understand wanting it fixed if it did happen. really ruins the car, and gives it a dated look.

the parts cant be much to replace. specially if you did your own install. but obviousely thats not so easy for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
same thing happening on my passenger side. shit looks really brittle.
I suggest have Mazda order the parts and you do it yourself. I'm working overseas and as soon as my wife informed me about it, I asked here and didn't get any replies so I told her to take it to the stealer/dealer.

It is brittle, the night before the replacement, I asked her to bend it and she said it broke very easy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
VioletGray 07, Any update on the Trim problem?
This is very common up in Canada. My 2005 Mazda 6, and wife's 2005 Mazda 3 both show the same damage. IMO its our careless/aggressive use of the ice scraper on the side windows trying to remove Ice & Frost while rushing to get to work. The cold temperatures make the trim very brittle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VioletGray 07, Any update on the Trim problem?
This is very common up in Canada. My 2005 Mazda 6, and wife's 2005 Mazda 3 both show the same damage. IMO its our careless/aggressive use of the ice scraper on the side windows trying to remove Ice & Frost while rushing to get to work. The cold temperatures make the trim very brittle.
The new window trim has held up well but it better since it's only a 3 months old. The cold makes sense since we live in a cold area.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 04 6s is doing the same thing don't know why but I don't like it. I thought about using a razor and trying to cut it along the bottom where its breaking at.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,550 Posts
Never had that problem with my '04, despite having to scrape the windows almost daily from November to April.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The clown at the stealer told my wife that this was common on some Mazdas. He never said what caused it. It does look like crap. If you take it in ask him if this is common and ask if they know why it happens.

At least your car is an 04 and this is just happening. This happened to the wife's 07.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mines an o4 and its been doing that for awhile. I can tell you what causes it, its the sun drying out the rubber seal. It gets weathered and dry and goes through the daily beating of being touched, carwashes, rock chips and things like that and it starts to break. It should be pretty easy to replace, probably expensive as hell, so if its not happening to you, put some armor all on them so they dont dry out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My '06 MS6 has had this problem on the front windows. Dealer replaced it under warranty about 8 months ago.

The problem showed up on the rear windows a few weeks ago, and it is as the dealer as I write this getting the rear trim replaced under warranty (warranty ends in November of this year for my 2006).

So if your car is under warranty, the trim should be covered for free.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My04' wagon has the same issue. I need to find the correct part name so I can order it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The part you're all probably looking for is the "Belt Molding." I needed one for one of my rear doors too, and while I haven't ordered it yet it looks about right. Here's a link to give you a better idea:

Online Mazda Parts

It's the part enclosed in the square in the illustration; the one ID'd as "2." This one is for a rear door of a non-speed6, but you could easily go through the menu to find one for the front doors/MS6 doors (dunno how different they are, but apparently they are!).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my '05 6S. If I trim it as hypergt mentioned will I have any moisture problems. Am thinking of trimming before replacing the molding.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To prevent these kinds of issues you should do use Silicon Lubricant spray after ever deep wash. Deep meaning after using a heaving wax removing soap to clean gum and stuff off the paint.

You should do this to ALL window seals. I do mine about every 3-6 months.

Hope this helps. I would tell you the product name but I have been told that I am spamming.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any advice on installing? I have same issue on all four doors ... I've seen some Youtube vids on install this ... but none on Mazda models...
Let me know ... thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts