Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more for New Jersey 6 owners. Does anyone know what the law is for tinting windows in New Jersey. I would like to tint all the windows (Not the windshield) and still be able to pass inspection.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Reading Topic: Window Tint

You can tint the back window and the rear seat windows as dark as you'd like. However, you're not allowed to tint the front windows or the front windshield at all. You might be able to get away with a very light tint on the front windows and no more than 3 inches at the top of the front windshield, but it's a risk.

A friend of mine and I were pulled over in his truck because he had all his windows tinted. The cop told him that by law (state law); he's not allowed to have the front windows tinted because it obstructs the view of the driver (both for the cop to see in and for the driver to see out). He didn't give my friend a ticket, but said he would get one if he got pulled over again and still had them tinted.

It sucks I know because it looks very stupid to have the back half of your car tinted and the front half not. Like I said, you can try going for a very light tint on the front windows but it might be a waste of money. If anything, just register the car in NY so that you can tint all your windows. I know a few people who have done that and the law doesn't apply to them.

·
Registered
657 Posts

What's the law regarding tint in NYC? I've asked around, and they say LEGALLY you can't have any, but you can get by with 35%, which is very light.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I hate tint. I had it on the rear of another car I bought used. Hated it. Had it removed. Affected my vision at night.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Window Tint'

Originally posted by Entropism

What's the law regarding tint in NYC?  I've asked around, and they say LEGALLY you can't have any, but you can get by with 35%, which is very light.[/b]
It IS LEGAL in New York to have any of your windows tinted. However, there are limits on how dark you can tint them, depending on the window.

On the front windshield, you can tint up to 6" from the top in any percentage of tint.

On the front and rear side windows you can use up to I think 35% tint. Yes, it's light but at least it's a form of tint.

And on the back window you can tint up to any percentage you'd like.

Originally posted by applejax

I hate tint.  I had it on the rear of another car I bought used.  Hated it.  Had it removed.  Affected my vision at night.[/b]
It depends on the grade of tint. I agree that having too dark a tint on the back window can severely affect your vision, especially at night. However, if you get the light tint (I think it's 45%) it doesn't affect your vision nearly as much but it does provide you with at least some tint.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Here in Australia the max legal is 35% on side and rear windows, 0% on the front windshield. Even so, the 35% really cuts down on summer heat in the cabin, so it's still worth it imho, probably not so much in colder climates :)

-- Rainchild

·
Registered
39 Posts

Tint in America goes with low rider trucks and ricers. It's an image thing and has no true function but for the driver to look cool and be "mysterious". If you deck your car out with silver stripes, tuba sized exhaust tips and tint you have problems. As for function buy a nice pair of Oakleys. Put all the toys you want on your car but it's still not as nice as a stock BMW.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Window Tint'

Originally posted by dusk
            Tint in America goes with low rider trucks and ricers.  It's an image thing and has no true function but for the driver to look cool and be "mysterious".  If you deck your car out with silver stripes, tuba sized exhaust tips and tint you have problems.  As for function buy a nice pair of Oakleys.  Put all the toys you want on your car but it's still not as nice as a stock BMW.  [/b]
While the part about image is partially true, I disagree with the notion that tint has no function. I had tint on my Mustang and even though it had dark interior, the tint really helped in the 100°F summer days. I don't remember what % it was, as I bought the car used and already with the tint...it wasn't too dark, but it sure was nice to have in the summer.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Bah!! Window tint has been around for decades and been done on all sorts of cars. People will still be tinting windows long after coffee-can exhausts and vinyl striping go the way of the Dodo bird.

Does BMW even make a car to compete directly with the 6 and its counterparts? I thought it took about 10 grand more, so it had BETTER be nicer.

In some climates, tinting serves a valid purpose. For others, it's preference and style. I don't think of a ricer when I see tinted windows. I can't, since I see it on stuff as different as F150's and Mini Coopers.

Call it vanity if you like, I don't care.

If it serves no purpose, then side skirts, spoilers and aluminum gas caps are in the same boat when placed on a daily-driver. It's only for getting from A to B, so why do it? Simple, people like it.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

In Florida 35% is the darkest legal limit on the front, and 25% is the darkest on the back. Personally I think 35% is plenty dark enough, especially in the evening. I started to go 35/25 on the front and back, but with the auto-dimming mirror it really wasn't necessary.

I am with Ruefus, tint is far from 'ricer' material. It not only keeps the interior up to 40% cooler in the summer....and it gets plenty hot here, it also cuts down on the glare from people who do have 'ricers', not to mention it protects the interior of the car as well as your eyes from damaging UV radiation. Call it what you want, I tinted my silver 6 the very next day. Even in the winter here, it was amazing how hot the interior got without it and personally I thought the car was simply way too plain without it. The tint was the final finishing touch in my opinion.

Tint can be a bit obstructive at night, but every car I've ever owned has had some form of tint, so you get used to it. If you need to see that badly, you can always put down the window and look through the side mirrors, but its very rare that this is necessary if you are used to it. The importance if tint is evidenced by the number of SUV's you simply can't buy withought it. States like New Jersey had to make amendments to their laws allowing factory tint on the back windows, because SUV's (4Runners for instance) can't be bought withought it.

Hardly seems likely a 'ricer' would come with a mandatory feature from the factory.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

My main concern is the back windows, because the wife and I have a baby on the way and would like to protect it from the sunlight.

I won't by a pair of Oakleys because Maui Jim's lenses are ten times better.

And as for the BMW comment. Hello we are talking about the legality of tint and it use in NJ. Not about whos car is better looking. I think Ruefus said it best "Does BMW even make a car to compete directly with the 6 and its counterparts? I thought it took about 10 grand more, so it had BETTER be nicer.

·
Registered
39 Posts

HEHE just trying to get some response. It's a decent check of what type of people we have here. Glad we didn't get "My 100% Tint Roxorz Jer Ride Foo". I totally agree with getting some decent tint to keep it cool in the summer. DC has had some nasty summers the past few years. Obviously my last sentence was to infuse some passion into the forum. I think it's fairly universal with the 35% tint though I have seen many go beyond that at their own risk.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Bangadrum5.....there are the window shades that kind of suction cup to the window which I've seen some cars utilizing. I would assume this is legal anywhere in the US. If you don't mind telling the whole world that you are past your teenage yrs and instead are married with children :) maybe that's an option for you. Also, I've seen some cars with the shades that attach to the frame which you pull down and velcro to the bottom of the window somehow, this could be an option too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yes past the teenage years, but those dam suction cup shades just make a car look awful.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Yeah those with a smiling cat face on them :D They are actually very good, but as Bangadrum5 (what a nick! :)) said it's not so great looking.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Window Tint

So we all definitely agree...it's not a very cosmetic approach, but it will serve the purpose if necessary. Just take the thing off whenever the baby isn't with you, or keep the child in the middle seat. After all, humans have been enduring sunlight for generations longer than any kind of manmade tint has been available. Course these days according to the FDA, everything causes cancer, even breathing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts