Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not exactly the right place to ask, but does anyone know how to properly remove a window tint? As I mentioned in another topic, the car I will be driving for the next 3 months or so has tinted rear side windows (done by previous owner). They are quite dark and don't even look good (cheap - purpleish, not quite black); and they really bother me especially at this time of year when it's still dark in the morning when I go to work and already dark again when I go back home.

I might still leave it the way it is (my girlfriend, who owns the car, is still unsure whether she must keep the windows that way or not :sarc) but if anyone has experience with or suggestions on this, I would appreciate a comment.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Window tint...'

I'd take a hair dryer and would heat that part of the tint that I'd like to pull off. I'd do this until the whole tint would come off. Then I'd take lamp oil and smuther the whole window whith it. Let it soak in a while, then try to wipe or rub it off.

It's a question of how that tint has been brought on. Glued probably? Maybe someone else knows a better way to get it off.:sarc

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That's just it.. I don't want to be stuck with a layer of glue on the windows that won't come off - I think I prefer the tint over that :D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

It's not sure glue is involved at all. Some of this tints are applied electrostatically. Try to pull in a corner and see what happens...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Will try, thanks Steve.. but as I said, it's a cheap tint (at least that's what it looks like) and probably glued.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

The best substance I've ever used on sticker type of glue is nailpolish remover. It takes it right off!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks guys - will try when I get a chance!
Will post pictures if it didn't work ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Noo that's boring - we all know what a car with NO messed up tint looks like :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts