Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i'd post an update. to recap from a previous topic i can't find...

live in delaware, got a ticket in maryland for tint.

went to court today.
all i had to do was tell the judge what i was pleading (not guilty of course)
and that's all i had to say, he read the books and concluded the way Maryland's law is written that the tint laws only apply to vehicles registered in maryland.

good news to all of those that have asked this question, more than likely most states are worded the same way!
:drive: :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Sweet. Glad you were able to get it removed.

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Congrats, I'm glad to hear a tint victory. Pssst!! We tried that with a NY judge and he said tint is illegal in NJ and he knows the law. A$$hole!!! :irate: :swearin: My wife's car is registered in Nj and she received a ticket in NY.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Congrats.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I share the feeling. I live 5 min over the PA line and work in MD so I would say 99% of my driving is done in MD. Although I was never pulled over by MD cops I always wondered if they left me along because of my tags or what.
I used to have 20% all around on my Protégé MP3 including the entire windshield and never had problems with MD cops. PA on the other hand got my twice, out of the 5 cops in town they got me on both my old Protégé (cop was kinda pissed with the entire windshield tinted) and now again on the 6. SUCKS!
Well, glad to hear you made out good and GREAT info to share with us on the MD/DE/PA/VA or even WV lines, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
good news to all of those that have asked this question, more than likely most states are worded the same way!
[/b]
Not a good assumption. Just south of the river from you in Virginia, you can get ticketed for tint whether your car is registered here or not.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a good assumption. Just south of the river from you in Virginia, you can get ticketed for tint whether your car is registered here or not.
[/b]

it might come down to the interpretation that the judge makes on the law.
The maryland law state that no vehicle operated on md roads can have tint above the 35% limit, and defines a vehicle in maryland based on another law it refers to. That referred law is a registration law, so the judge had to dig a couple levels deep to convince himself of it.
if you get a judge that's a prick then it might be more difficult, but check out your state laws, if you ask the right questions you probably have a better chance getting out of it. even my judge said these state registration laws are funny because of their gray areas...

·
Registered
107 Posts
it might come down to the interpretation that the judge makes on the law.
The maryland law state that no vehicle operated on md roads can have tint above the 35% limit, and defines a vehicle in maryland based on another law it refers to. That referred law is a registration law, so the judge had to dig a couple levels deep to convince himself of it.
if you get a judge that's a prick then it might be more difficult, but check out your state laws, if you ask the right questions you probably have a better chance getting out of it. even my judge said these state registration laws are funny because of their gray areas...
[/b]
You wouldn't happen to have the case #? This ruling sets a legal precedent in the state of MD relative to tickets given to out of state residents for window tint. Hell, it may even work for other things that aren't legal in MD but legal in other states.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You wouldn't happen to have the case #? This ruling sets a legal precedent in the state of MD relative to tickets given to out of state residents for window tint. Hell, it may even work for other things that aren't legal in MD but legal in other states.
[/b]
i can get the case # i think.. have to check...
i think the main reason why this works for out of state is because of the discrepancies of state vehicle registration law and requirements of that vehicle. Other offenses of vehicular nature and other offenses not related to vehicles do not have that same discrepancy.

I knew you would win that one! Congrats![/b]
thanks! i'll have to drink an Orange Jubilee tonight to celebrate, haha.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Congrats!!!! this is good news...because we don't have a set tint limit in Ontario....it makes it nice to know that when i cross a coundary where my tint could be concidered illegal i have some reference by which i can go back to....

Personally...I have found that if i don't speed too much that it doesnt draw attention to my car anyways...its jsut another plain silver family sedan....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
CLaman
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing