Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 Mazda6 a few months back and I just recently got it tinted. On the four windows, there is a crease/line near the top of the windows (about 1/4" down, where it rolls up). I took it back to the tint place to see if they would retint the windows, but the owner said that is due to the tight window seals of a new car and not because of the tint job. I'm not sure whether the owner is just lying to me or if this actually happens to everyone's cars. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this? Does anyone have a 2006 with a tint job where this didn't happen?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have had friends tell me that they had too keep thier windows closed for a fews day too ensure the tint does not get damaged due too openning the windows.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Sorry, maybe I needed to post a little more detail.

After I got the windows tinted, I didn't roll down the windows for at least a week (maybe even longer on the back two windows), so I don't think that was the cause. When I first rolled it down is when i noticed the line was there, but figured it would go away after time. I'd say its been about a month now and the lines are still there. It looks like the window seals actually pushed the tint down when the windows were rolled up, which is weird because none of the tint on my other cars ever did this.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Sorry, maybe I needed to post a little more detail.

After I got the windows tinted, I didn't roll down the windows for at least a week (maybe even longer on the back two windows), so I don't think that was the cause. When I first rolled it down is when i noticed the line was there, but figured it would go away after time. I'd say its been about a month now and the lines are still there. It looks like the window seals actually pushed the tint down when the windows were rolled up, which is weird because none of the tint on my other cars ever did this.
[/b]

Yea...get it fixed if it isn't gone after a month.

·
Registered
59 Posts

[/b]

They really should re-do the job. I had all 3 of my Mazda's tinted by a professional tinter who also does jobs on the side (and of mine were all on the side). He guarantee's his work and came back to replace the window that wrinkled like you described.

·
Registered
13 Posts

[/b]
I have a 2006 Mazda6 also. I had my windows tinted the 2nd week after purchase and have not had any problems. Your problem sounds like exactly what you think. There should not be any wrinkles or creases in your tint. I have had several cars tinted at the same shop and have never heard anyone blame tight seals on a new car causing such a problem. I would suspect that such a condition would occur if someone rolled the window down then back up before the tint had a chance to cure, since it wasn't you and if no one else had access to your car then that would point to the tint installer who may have goofed! Anyway laying all blame aside a reputable tint shop should fix it. I wouldn't wait any longer to get it fixed I don't think the wrinkles will go away now on their own.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts

[/b]
When I picked up my newly tinted ride a month ago. I noticed waitied a few days bfroe rolling my windows down also. When I did I realized that they had not put the tint all the way to the top of the glass. When rolled up all you see is tint. But when down you can see about 3 mm of glass at the top. I asked why they stopped, as no other car I have had had this done. They told me to prevent seperating the tint film and glass they do this. Our cars do have a great seal. This may be the cause.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I just bought a 2006 Mazda6 a few months back and I just recently got it tinted. On the four windows, there is a crease/line near the top of the windows (about 1/4" down, where it rolls up). I took it back to the tint place to see if they would retint the windows, but the owner said that is due to the tight window seals of a new car and not because of the tint job. I'm not sure whether the owner is just lying to me or if this actually happens to everyone's cars. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this? Does anyone have a 2006 with a tint job where this didn't happen? [/b]
I've had my 2006 6s sedan tinted since day 3 of having the car. The side window tint has about an 1/8" gap at the top which is how they apply it to allow for the window going up into the seal, but no creases. I don't think any sort of ripple or crease in the tint film is normal or correct. It appears he's not willing to make good on a mistake, not sure what your best course of action is but I would suggest having another discussion with him. if you paid by credit card you always have the option of disputing the charge until the problem is resolved. :irate:
I'd check around with local new car dealers and see who they use, you might find someone who will do it better. Maybe taking it to another shop and getting their opinion might be helpful also. :yesnod:
The rear window on the sedan is a PITA, mine kept bubbling at the bottom for the first week after it was tinted, they just had to press it back down. Now it's fine.
You should not roll down freshly tinted windows for several days, usually 3-4. :nono: Rolling them down too soon after the film is applied will cause it to seperate when the windows go up into the seals, maybe thats what's happening to yours?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i would go back to the tint shop and ask for a refund and go to another shop to get it tinted, normally there will be a little gap where the tint stops at the top but there shouldnt be a wrinkle in the tint. just bitch until they give you your money back or they fix the problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay...sounds like I'd better make another trip to the tint shop and maybe another shop in town (for a second opinion). Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Okay...sounds like I'd better make another trip to the tint shop and maybe another shop in town (for a second opinion). Thanks for the replies everyone!!!
[/b]

NP, just don't make them make you drive to another shop because of something they should have done right, make them do it over and do it right, don't have to waste your money on tint installation from another place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
has anyone else dipped their windows? i got mine done in may, and am so happy with them. They have all that 100% guaruntee, and if for any reason it starts to fade, or crack, they will re do that window and all the other ones. a little more expensive, but my car had the windows down when i went back to pick it up. its a great alternative to those cheap guys who give you a deal if you use cash....

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I just bought a 2006 Mazda6 a few months back and I just recently got it tinted. On the four windows, there is a crease/line near the top of the windows (about 1/4" down, where it rolls up). I took it back to the tint place to see if they would retint the windows, but the owner said that is due to the tight window seals of a new car and not because of the tint job. I'm not sure whether the owner is just lying to me or if this actually happens to everyone's cars. Has anyone else had this problem or heard of this? Does anyone have a 2006 with a tint job where this didn't happen?
[/b]
I would have to say depends on what you mean by crease. Do you have a pic? I have had my windows tinted twice now, damn cops, and the first time I had a minor ripple but I thought that had to do with 3M tint being thick. Now I have another brand and 2 layers of 15% (on on top of the other) and I dont have that problem, so to answer you it maybe the type of tint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts