Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any excessive windnoise around the front doors? Has anyone tried a DIY fix? The dealer really can't do much...maybe MAYBE refit the door but it'll look like sh!t. Anyone have any solutions?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Does anyone have any excessive windnoise around the front doors? Has anyone tried a DIY fix? The dealer really can't do much...maybe MAYBE refit the door but it'll look like sh!t. Anyone have any solutions?
[/b]
Only time I get windnoise at the A-pillars is going against a strong headwind, like when a cold front comes in otherwise it's just general road noise.

That said, my wife had this problem in her Explorer and they had to replace the front door seals. Perhaps that might be it?

·
Registered
436 Posts
would those window wind deflectors help minimize this?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
No... Those help keep wind outta your face "sorta" but if anything cause extra noise.

The speed6 was "loud" as a lot of reviewers mentioned in their articles and stories about the car. Personally I think the car is just about average. Engine is SUPER quiet compared to my GF's new Jetta... her 5 cyl. Jetta is loud as heck compared...

I've noticed that with windows down at higher speed it seems more "violent" than in other vehicles... I used to leave my windows fully down in my civic on the freeway all the time. I find myself rolling them up in the speed6 as my face gets a beating...

·
Registered
156 Posts
The wind noise I hear seems to come from behind the front seats. It is not consistant. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
As "dumb" as it may sound.. try opening your doors.. and sticking old "socks" or such... in the joints.. and closing the doors... Not enough to bend or break anything.. but enough to be 100% sure there is a super tight seal... if you notice the noise is gone... then you probably have a bad seal... or whatever...

I can't explain exactly how / or what I mean... but I used random cloth objects to seal up my civic and help locate "leaks"... which I later fixed up with rubber window molding type stuff I got at local hardware store... But my civic was old... new car like this.. if you do have problems... dealer should take care of you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
There is some wind noise generated around the side mirrors on this car - and I'm not sure you can do much about it

·
Registered
27 Posts
As "dumb" as it may sound.. try opening your doors.. and sticking old "socks" or such... in the joints.. and closing the doors... Not enough to bend or break anything.. but enough to be 100% sure there is a super tight seal... if you notice the noise is gone... then you probably have a bad seal... or whatever...

I can't explain exactly how / or what I mean... but I used random cloth objects to seal up my civic and help locate "leaks"... which I later fixed up with rubber window molding type stuff I got at local hardware store... But my civic was old... new car like this.. if you do have problems... dealer should take care of you.
[/b]
this is the only complaint i have had out of my speed. The wind noise is very excessive, even at low speeds. i have taken it to the dealer twice for it and they said it was normal. drives me nuts. :swearin: I know i can turn the radio up but i shouldnt have too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
this is the only complaint i have had out of my speed. The wind noise is very excessive, even at low speeds. i have taken it to the dealer twice for it and they said it was normal. drives me nuts. :swearin: I know i can turn the radio up but i shouldnt have too.
[/b]

Agree with you. It is excessive. I took the car to the dealer they said they replaced the right rear door seal. I don't believe they did and the noise is still there. It's actually pretty loud and annoying. My Spec V was quieter (before extensive modding).

·
Registered
115 Posts
The noise you are hearing is from the rear differential. It is common on the speed 6's. Look for the post with "howling" in the topic.

It's not necessarily a problem.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The noise you are hearing is from the rear differential. It is common on the speed 6's. Look for the post with "howling" in the topic.

It's not necessarily a problem.
[/b]
That I have -- I can certainly hear it at slower speeds. The wind noise is a problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Agree with you. It is excessive. I took the car to the dealer they said they replaced the right rear door seal. I don't believe they did and the noise is still there. It's actually pretty loud and annoying. My Spec V was quieter (before extensive modding).
[/b]
that is a different noise. this is definitely a wind noise from both front doors about 1/2 way up the a pillars. It is very annoying. My dealer is pretty good but they are firm that there isnt anything they can do. I dont recall the noise when i bought the car so it should be fixed.

·
Registered
787 Posts
that is a different noise. this is definitely a wind noise from both front doors about 1/2 way up the a pillars. It is very annoying. My dealer is pretty good but they are firm that there isnt anything they can do. I dont recall the noise when i bought the car so it should be fixed.
[/b]
Of course they "can't" fix it: it takes work and the correct tools. They can pressurise the interior and run an ultrasonic tool around all the seals to check for leaks, but since it may only occur with the car moving it can mean a test drive by a mechanic with a good ear. That adds up to a lotta shop time, so they just blow you off. Bottom line: they'll lose a lot more $ chasing it than they'll get from Mazda for warranty work. Test drive another 6, speed or not. If the other one doesn't have the sound, there's your proof. But don't expect them to fix it until you push them. You paid for a brand new car; it should run like a brand new car.
Good luck, post back when it finally gets fixed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts