Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized I had some LED bulbs laying around still in the package from when I had my dakota and checked out what they were. I found out they are WLED 5-LED Wide Angle LED bulb from superbrightleds.com . I bought 9 to do my dakota dash in blue and had a few left over so I'm wondering can I use these? Here is the link to the bulb: http://superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html . scroll down the page to the 5th one down. I'm not sure if these'll work but let me know. If they do I'll put em' in and snap some pics tonight. If anyone else decides that they like them I'll have 4 extra unless they can be used in other parts of the car.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
If you mean to put this
through the opening of the parker light socket? I highly doubt it. But it worths the try as it is very easy to get to for the parker anyway.

·
Registered
814 Posts
they didnt work in my 194 slots....and if you bend the corner lights on that LED just a bit it won't work. And if you were to actually get it in somehow...I would be concerned about having to get them back out at some point. 194s bouncing around at the bottom of a headlight housing would be a buzz kill for sure :)

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i just said forget it and tried it. they fit through with very minimal pushing/clearance issues. i have to say they aren't all that bright but they sure do look cool with the way the LED shines. i'll snap some shots tonight so you guys can see how they look.

·
Registered
978 Posts
hope you get longer life out of your superbrights than I...started to get the strobe of death spiral after 6 months on the 6leds. but a pic would be good...do you get the halo look at all?

·
Registered
315 Posts
hope you get longer life out of your superbrights than I...started to get the strobe of death spiral after 6 months on the 6leds. but a pic would be good...do you get the halo look at all?
[/b]

The heat from the high beam is what kills them. LEDs are sensitive to heat and voltage spikes. I had LEDs for parking lights, and they didn't last very long either.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[/b]
i'm going to take pics soon and post em'. here are pics you tell me if they give more of a halo or not.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would also like to see sum pictures too. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pics added.

·
Registered
978 Posts
thanks for the pics...yeah, looks like you get a lot more of a halo effect there. looks really good! I tried putting in the 5led's but was feeling like it was a bit tight so didn't try to force them in.

crappy thing is, I never use my high beams (except maybe to flash slowpokes) so the heat from the fogs and lowbeams must be enough to shorten their life. I'm going to see if I can find some PIAA's (non-led's) and call it done. Don't really want to be taking off my bumper and passenger headlight every 6 months to change a $5 bulb...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i've got PIAA's on order that'll be here friday according to shipping lol. i plan on doing a swap out and taking pics again and showing just so people can see the difference in the two. i know not a lot of people want to spend the 30 bucks on 194's so i'm trying to give a cheaper/alternate route. they do look good though i like em'.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
any other comments before i swap em' out for the PIAA's?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here are the piaa's vs. the 5wled's. would you guys return the piaa's or keep em' and use 6 of the 5wled's inside my cab?pictures are below. the one's from PIAA are on the drivers side the WLED-x5 LED Wedge Base Bulbs from superbrightleds.com are on the passenger side:

both head on:

PIAA by itself:

the 5w LED's:

Now the WLED-x5 LED Wedge Base Bulbs are 12.48 shipped, the PIAA's are 24+ shipping. IMO not worth the extra 25 bucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts