Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Will there be a navigation system availible on the 6 as an option in the U.S.?'

I don't think they could hope to compete without one. And seeing as we're getting everything that everyone else is and more (v6). I would assume NAV will come here as well.

My friends can't wait for me to finally get a Nav system so I can stop gettin lost :D ... God knows I need one

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Will there be a navigation system availible on the 6 as an option in the U.S.?'

Originally posted by AliAL

I don't think they could hope to compete without one.  And seeing as we're getting everything that everyone else is and more (v6). I would assume NAV will come here as well.

My friends can't wait for me to finally get a Nav system so I can stop gettin lost :D ...  God knows I need one[/b]
Yes, there is no reason why not. GPS, which is the basis of the system, is an american system. So it would be stupid not to offer it to you guys...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

MazdaUSA says nothing about offering a nav system...And I do recall seeing the location of the nav system referred to as a pocket for sunglasses.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I think I've read in a couple of different sources that it will not be offered in North America. *Sigh* If our customers were smarter then we wouldn't get decontented like this! In Europe and Japan gets the self leveling rear suspension. US? No dice. GPS Nav? Sorry. Oh well, at least we get the V6.

·
Registered
211 Posts

GPS nav will be around $2,000 right?...or will it be lower?

·
Registered
319 Posts

Self leveling rear suspension? Now that is something I'm definitely glad we're NEVER gonna see. What a bunch of crap on a car like the 6. Maybe necessary in the wagon, but unless you are hauling a carload of concrete, I doubt that'd be necessary.

Navigation I don't believe is planned to be offered. However, I look at it this way: The car is already designed to have it (as it is available in other countries); so the only thing they'd need is a DVD written with American roads and in English. Second, it is a great stand alone option, they don't need/have to group it with anything else, and I would think it would have a high profit margin. Lastly, the 6 is supposed to replace both the 626 and Millenia (though more the 626); and I would imagine that when it arrives a fully loaded to the teeth V6 6 will be a VERY "fancy" car, and navigation would be a great way to give that extra sense of sophistication and class that you just can't find in ANY competitor, save more expensive entry level luxury models such as the ES300 or 3.2TL. So, while there will be plenty of people who will get the models that are more comparable to the accord and camry, why not at least offer those luxury items you can only find on the more expensive cars, especially when the car is ready to go with the install?? look at the passat, it competes with the accord at one end, but they do quite well with the "every option possible" "very expensive too" crowd. Navigation is a good key to that.

As a side note, I also think they are nuts not to offer the Dynamic Stability Control. Package that along with ABS or something, and put it on. It is such a great safety item, especially in snowy areas, and again, it is already designed to be built in. Put it on as an option. Again it is one of those nice luxury items that would help bring in those who might not take a look at the 6.

Nav and DSC are MUST HAVE options in my opinion. It will help the car cover a broad spectrum of customers and help it to differentiate it from its competitors, something Mazda could use some of anyway.

Personally, I'd probably shy away from nav, a map is cheaper, and I'm good with directions anyway, but there are many customers out there who would CONSIDER the 6 if it has nav as an option, but would not even look if it didn't. As far as DSC, I'd buy that all the way. It is one of those great safety advances I put up there with airbags and ABS, and to me is one of those "must have" safety devices (as long as it can be disabled ;) ).

Mazda, I think you must do some really quick thinking before the 6 arrives in the US. Nearly every person I've talked with and almost every internet post I've seen has their heart set on the hatchback, not the sedan. You will lose many, many sales to people who cannot wait for the hatch. If the hatch is what the customers want, it is what you should deliver, and quickly. Again, the hatch is also something that would help you to distinguish yourself from the also-rans. As far as Nav, and DSC, again, I seriously think you should be looking closely at this as well. If not nav, at least DSC.

The 6 is such a standout car already, why not make it hands down the best in class vehicle it is within inches of being? Nav, DSC, and the hatch right now are the way to do that. Don't do us the typical coming in the 2 year update BS, just do it now. I promise the sales you gain now by having these things available at the start will more than offset any sales you might not get 2 years later with a less significant update (okay, I can't guarantee it, but it seems to me that this would be the case :) )

Sorry for the long post. Mazda, I hope you're listening.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Navigation ... it is a great stand alone option[/b]
Agreed. Nav system should be an option.

As a side note, I also think they are nuts not to offer the Dynamic Stability Control.  [/b]
No DSC? I thought that was an option on the "i", and standard on the "s". Maybe it was just traction control I saw. That is disappointing.

Nearly every person I've talked with and almost every internet post I've seen has their heart set on the hatchback, not the sedan.[/b]
I will be looking for a new car (hopefully) around the time the '6 is released here in the US. We need a familymobile. When the '6 sedan comes out, it will be another sedan in a sea of sedans. But if Mazda released the hatchback, it is so distinctive and useful, I wouldn't even shop around.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Originally posted by Jerome81

... and I would imagine that when it arrives a fully loaded to the teeth V6 6 will be a VERY "fancy" car, and navigation would be a great way to give that extra sense of sophistication and class that you just can't find in ANY competitor, save more expensive entry level luxury models such as the ES300 or 3.2TL. So, while there will be plenty of people who will get the models that are more comparable to the accord and camry, why not at least offer those luxury items you can only find on the more expensive cars, ...[/b]
Camry and Accord do offer navigational systems. It's not just an entry level luxury option anymore. If not offered, Mazda will be considered, here in the States, to be behind the times .

Whether a lot of customers opt for the Nav system or not, is not the point. Mazda has repeatedly stated that when designing the 6 they realized that to customers perceived quality is just as important as actual quality. If they put that kind of effort into the sound quality of the doors opening and closing then you'd think they would realize that offering a navigation system as an option helps instill in customers the perception (as well as will be the reality) that the 6 is as good or better than the competition. Not offering it says the opposite. Not to mention the fact that since Honda and Toyota offer this feature then car mags (i.e Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc..) are going to jump all over the fact that the 6 doesn’t offer a Nav system found in it’s competition. Mazda needs all the good publicity it can’t get when it comes to creature comforts, because the truth is that in the Camry, Accord, and Altima market segment many people buy a car for the comfortable feel, ride, features and space, rather, then for the performance of a car through the twisties.

As for DSC… sadly, in my humble opinion, I don’t think that most customers in the market segment their going after even know what it means. But for those of us that do I hope we’re not in for a let down here.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

My guess is that Mazda is working really hard to hit a price point and so the decontenting is part and parcel of that. I don't know if anyone remembers when Subaru released the SVX. It was an awesome car with lots of content. Luxurious interior, sporty yet supple ride, and the most powerful engine Subaru had ever released here. Fully loaded it was priced at something like $34000 (ten years ago!). Everyone gagged at the thought of a $34000 Subaru, and it sold like plague ridden rat carcasses. Many of us have expressed the opinion that Mazda needs to be priced below its competitors. Right now Mazda doesn't have the brand equity (do I sound like a marketing nerd or what?) to offer cars at the $30k level. I think with a successful launch to the 6, they could easily do it within a year or two. Then suddenly the 6 would have DSC, self leveling rear suspension, nav, etc. Maybe they'll "introduce" all these features on the MazdaSpeed 6. As a "halo" car it wouldn't suffer as much from the brand equity issue, and it should be feature packed anyway. I guess we'll see.
Some of Mazda's decontenting seems patently ridiculous though: losing the whip antenna for in glass and no folding mirrors? Bollocks!

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts

Self leveling rear suspension?  Now that is something I'm definitely glad we're NEVER gonna see.  What a bunch of crap on a car like the 6.  Maybe necessary in the wagon, but unless you are hauling a carload of concrete, I doubt that'd be necessary.[/b]
They were thinking of putting that on a 6??

Lol, yeah that would be a little insane. My dad's '98 MPV 4x4 has got that in the back, and its pretty sweet since we move heavy items lot of the times. But man, to replace those shocks? Expensive as hell, we're lookin at $400 EACH.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

My guess is that Mazda is working really hard to hit a price point and so the decontenting is part and parcel of that.[/b]
I can understand that if we're talking about Standard features. But Nav and DSC would be optional features that the customer wouldn't need to choose if they didn't want to spend as much.

Most manufacturers, when advertising a price, display the price without these extra options. So Mazda could still advertise $23,000 (wishfull thinking) for a V6 sports hatch.

A couple I know just spent about $30,000 on a new Camry beacause of all the options they choose. The new Accord get's real expensive too if you choose the Navigation system, DVD player mounted in rear with wireless headphones, MP3 player, dual climate zones, spoiler. etc..

When compared to the new Accord the 6's interior options wiil seem sparse if they don't offer Navigation.

·
Registered
319 Posts

I am nearly certain that neither the Camry, nor the Accord, nor the Altima offer a Nav system right now. Even Passat doesn't offer it. That is why I think Mazda could really get a jump on things if they were to offer it.

Same with Nissan offering Xenons on the Altima....only one in class. On that point, will the 6 have optional Xenons??

In fact, I just built my own camry at toyota.com, and no mention of nav anywhere.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I am nearly certain that neither the Camry, nor the Accord, nor the Altima offer a Nav system right now.  Even Passat doesn't offer it.[/b]
I am almost positive that a Nav system is offered with the new Camry, and I am also pretty sure that it will also be offered in the '03 Accords.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Yes, I just verified - a Nav system is offered in the Camry as part of package with manufacturer code GL and GW (package #5 and #9, respectively)

And I have also verified that the 2003 Accords will have a voice-activated DVD Nav system as well.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Offcourse there will be an optional NAV-system! I mean...why not? It is availeble in Europe, so why not in the USA? It shouldn't be more difficult or less cheaper...

Here in Holland it costs 1500 euro.....it won't be more less than in the USA

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

From Edmunds:

and where models in other markets can house an optional navigation system in the top of the dashboard, Mazda 6s bound for the U.S. get a large covered storage bin.

·
Registered
87 Posts

That's absolutely retarded. My Sentra has a storage bin, and I expect that in a cheap car. But in a car that costs 23k, that's absolutely ridiculous. I thought Mazda expected this to be a replacement for the millenia. What bullshit.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

People, this is simple:

talk lost business to Mazda, and you'll have that NAV system in no time. That is a language ANY company understands, but especially companies struggling to get back into the market.

Just put it this way to your dealer: give me that NAV system, or I won't buy the car.

Expect this to delay your vehicle by a month or two, but start making these demands NOW!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Steve's right. If enough people gripe, they'll start making it available to us, if they haven't already done so.

Here's an observation.. the MazdaUSA site has had the 360% view page for the exterior of the car up for a while, as well as a bunch of other exterior pictures... but no interior pictures. Hmmm. If the US specifications have already been fully decided upon by Mazda and set in stone then why wouldn't they have interior pics out there. Is it possible their trying to work on getting some options, like, lets says.... a navigation system into the works and so are holding off from putting up any interior pics until they have ironed everything out. I wonder..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts