Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Reading Topic: Will the hatch be avaialable as MY2005 in USA?

Why do you prefer the hatchback over the sedan? I've never owned one so I don't know the advantages.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Saintor - Info from MNAO says a first quarter 2004 release for the hatch and wagon, so that would likely be a 2005MY.

Gecko_2k2 - Many people prefer the hatch to the sedan for two reasons: flexibility and looks. Lots of us think the hatch is the best looking of the three models (sedan, hatch, wagon). Even Mazda executives think so. When they first released the 6/Atenza, they stated that the hatch best exemplified their design goals for the car. A hatchback has much better utility and cargo flexibility than a sedan. Try cramming a 31" TV in its box into a sedan sometime. Try cramming a crapload of gardening tools and a little wheelbarrow into a sedan. You can do all this, and still have a sexy looking car. It's the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Considering the sedan is already out and will likely go to the '04 model this Fall (late Q3 or early Q4) it doesn't seem right that they'd release the hatch in early '04 and call it an '05 model. They'd just confuse everyone by having an '04 sedan and an '05 hatch, or skipping the '04 model year.

If they're going to do it, I'd bet it'll be when the '04 models are released, the hatch will simply be added to the lineup.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That mostly because of the look. The sedan rear quarter looks a bit like a Cavalier.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I have noticed that the rear end of the sedan slopes somewhat. I don't like this with sedans since it makes the rear end "melt" with the windows and make some kind of "ski slope". Now the midline of the 6 rise so much backwards, and there IS a clear difference between the angle of the rear window and the trunk lid area. An extreme example of the "ski slope syndrome" is, I belive, the newer Taurus cars (the once that are too round for their own good). A Sport 6 with the rear wing makes this a little less obvios, but it's still there.

My ranking is:
#1 Wagon
#2 Hatchback
#3 Sedan

I like the lines of the wagon better (beuty wise) but the hatch is a little sportier. Hard choise if I where to buy one on my own but I think I would take the wagon anyway, it takes the "sleeper" feeling one step further :) */me likes Volvo who raced in BTCC with estate :D*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts