Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its almost 1700 canadian for me to get them, and while it does get a nice gain... is it 1700 worth of gain?

why are they $1000 better than other headers?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Other headers usualy do not include a y-pipe and high flow cats if i remember correctly. This header setup also doesnt require you to modify any of the stock parts such as cutting any heat shields of that sort. It also comes with the o2 sensor extensions so you wont get any CEL's just buy it :p i cant wait t o get mine in.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Other headers usualy do not include a y-pipe and high flow cats if i remember correctly. This header setup also doesnt require you to modify any of the stock parts such as cutting any heat shields of that sort. It also comes with the o2 sensor extensions so you wont get any CEL's just buy it :p i cant wait t o get mine in.
[/b]

Actually you will have to move the altenator. The reason the headers off what they claim is because it comes w/ an A/F tune much like their intake system. I don't think this system will sell anywhere nearly as much as their intake system since most people can't justify spending $1500+ on a system where the $550 intake offers roughly the same gains.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Actually you will have to move the altenator. The reason the headers off what they claim is because it comes w/ an A/F tune much like their intake system. I don't think this system will sell anywhere nearly as much as their intake system since most people can't justify spending $1500+ on a system where the $550 intake offers roughly the same gains.
[/b]
I agree, I think the reason why the headers are so much more than the intake given they have the same gains is because the headers probably cost alot more to produce than the intake.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Im not doubting their quality but for the effort I think your money would be best spent on other perfomance mods.

IE) Clutch upgrades/ligher flywheel or upgraded valvebody/tq for the atx. Lightweight rims and tires. Or hell go unichip or sniper tuning to take full control of your ecu.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i know you have the move the alternator but it comes with the tools to do so instead of the wagner one where it doesnt say anything about it and then u find out u have to cut some heat shield :\ I ordered the headers so i will be able to give my 2 cents on them when they arrive hopefully very soon.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i know you have the move the alternator but it comes with the tools to do so instead of the wagner one where it doesnt say anything about it and then u find out u have to cut some heat shield :\ I ordered the headers so i will be able to give my 2 cents on them when they arrive hopefully very soon.
[/b]

I think you are confusing the headers that require to cut the heatshield (MSDS Headers); the Wagner headers had some worse problems surrounding fitment issues. I look forward to hearing what the equal length headers with 2 cats sound like; also hearing how fun the headers will be to install for the do it yourselfers (it's like a little jigsaw puzzle down there with the confined space).

·
Registered
264 Posts
its almost 1700 canadian for me to get them, and while it does get a nice gain... is it 1700 worth of gain?

why are they $1000 better than other headers?
[/b]
With the favorable exchange rate I went for the group buy and also ordered the stage one trans kit.
If you want to play you've got to pay :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
With the favorable exchange rate I went for the group buy and also ordered the stage one trans kit.
If you want to play you've got to pay :yesnod:
[/b]
Wow, someone is going to have a much improved driving experience. I'm jealous...not so much about the Stage 1 kit, but thats a serious chunk of money to throw down for your car, if only I could bring myself to it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm gonna quote someone from the subs/electronics section. I dont remember who was it, but they said, "you gotta pay, to play," which is so true. and i for one am saving up my lunch money for these headers.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I can't wait till everyone gets them, I Want to get them this summer!!! And I will lol, but to hear clips and reaction will be fabualous!
[/b]
Hopefully Marko, I will have them by Mid-Ohio! Then you can hear then up close and personal!

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
They're actually very competitively priced. If you pull out jeg's catalogs and point at headers going "look its only 220 for a v8 long tube header! WTF CP-E is overpriced!!!", you're out of your freaking mind. Compare the pricing to "similar" products, not cars that have 50+ aftermarket companies making the same product, or have 10 million models on the road.

A similar comparison would be something like the APS Equal length headers for the sti. They sell for around 995 USD ....and thats for a boxter engine (2 less pipes) on a non transverse platform. (That price doesn't include a y pipe, or any highflow cat's)
http://mzmperformance.com/Merchant2/mercha...de=wrxstiheader

Alot of people also forget that these headers drop a significant amount of weight off the nose of the 6s. Actually I believe they drop MORE weight then the seibon CF hood's AND the battery tray's...combine those two items together and you've almost paid for the headers...and that's ignoring any actual power gains!

·
Registered
134 Posts
They're actually very competitively priced. If you pull out jeg's catalogs and point at headers going "look its only 220 for a v8 long tube header! WTF CP-E is overpriced!!!", you're out of your freaking mind. Compare the pricing to "similar" products, not cars that have 50+ aftermarket companies making the same product, or have 10 million models on the road.

A similar comparison would be something like the APS Equal length headers for the sti. They sell for around 995 USD ....and thats for a boxter engine (2 less pipes) on a non transverse platform. (That price doesn't include a y pipe, or any highflow cat's)
http://mzmperformance.com/Merchant2/mercha...de=wrxstiheader
[/b]
sorry i'm used to my 98 z28 prices, they are much cheaper, so that is my reasoning behind why i think it is overpriced, i'm sure it is competitivley priced but that is in a small aftermarket. Maybe for some strange reason the aftermarket will grow for this car and prices will go down.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Alot of people also forget that these headers drop a significant amount of weight off the nose of the 6s. Actually I believe they drop MORE weight then the seibon CF hood's AND the battery tray's...combine those two items together and you've almost paid for the headers...and that's ignoring any actual power gains!
[/b]
This is a great point, how much weight will they drop? Consider with the full y-pipe and cats and everything, do you save 50lbs? 75lbs? Guess this will have to be a consideration.......

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ya you can't compare this car's aftermarket to something like a camaro, or a stang. Completely different beasts.

I mean heck, a camaro's aftermarket is expensive compared to a honda civic's...why is that? :)
[/b]
:laugh: funny thing is i had a turbo civic too, only expensive thing on that car was the actual turbo.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
28 Participants
z6speed
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing