Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found that normal test drives often don't show up issues with a car like long-term seat comfort. Renting something that I want to buy gives me a chance to check it out thoroughly on my home turf, if you will.

Is the 6 likely to wind up in rental fleets? I'd assume that Ford-owned Hertz would be happy not to buy Altimas and Camrys as their mid-sized option. (Yeah, I'd probably only be able to rent a 6i sedan, but the suspension and seats should be similar to the 6s wagon I'm waiting not-so-patiently for.)

Tom

·
Registered
446 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Will the 6 go into rental fleets?'

Couldn't you test drive one? I realize it won't give you a good amount of time to try it out but it's something.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Some dealer, if you really serious about buying the car. You have to really talk to them over and over again showing comittment then they will just let you drive it for a good while. Enough to give you a sense of what the car is all about.

This is the only way I would sign the paper. I will need the key for a good 20-30 minute drive all over the city and on the highway.

You have to buddy with the salesperson and they will let you have the ride.

At least that is my experience.

I don't know how much time you need to try the car but I find 1/2 an hour is plenty.

·
Registered
167 Posts

My first test drive was 20 minutes. When I came back two weeks later and wanted another one, it was no problem to have the car for an hour, because I showed real interest.

An hour gives you a pretty good impression of the car (it was more than enough for me in this case - I think I would actually have taken it after 10 minutes of driving it :D); but I guess a full day with real-life conditions is better to prove that the car is what you're looking for.

Peter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the input. I know that I could just test drive one, but I often use the car for long trips, and I'm finding that seat comfort issues appear in my Passat after an hour that don't appear on shorter runs. Renting a Saab 9-3SE from Budget actually saved me about $26k - I wanted one, but a long blast across Florida showed ergonomic shortcomings that drove me batty. (My MS is in ergonomics, so I'm sensitive to the issue.)

Besides, I'd just like something better than a Grand Am to rent anyway. ;)

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, there is a lot of input on the web that makes it probable that the Mazda6 will end up at the top of the fleet-buyers charts.

Low price, low costs and it's loaded with equipment and very comfortable. Look for the fleet-buyers guide on the web, there's plenty about the Mazda6.

·
Registered
355 Posts

I have heard that in many countries it is a problem to get a car for a test drive for long enough... Two hours is minimum what I ask. Sometimes they gave me the car for a weekend (not so common though, that depends on the sales person and how often interested I seem to be). But usually 2 hours is enough to tell if the car doesn't feel good for me (with BMW 325 I needed to return it early just after half an hour, it gave me ache all around my body).

Exception to this has been Mazda6... No matter how many times I have tested it, I still want to try again... I still haven't found the uncomfy stuff about it, that is why I need one as my own to figure those things out... ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts