Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading "What Car?" on line and found this quote...

The 6 is powered by the same engine range as the Mondeo, which has just been boosted by the launch of its 218bhp 3.0 V6 flagship, the ST220.
A company insider told What Car?: 'These engines can give a lot more power, so we will have to use the new four-wheel-drive chassis to cope with it.'
The 6 is built on an all-new platform, and this electronically controlled four-wheel-drive system will become available on the Sport Wagon estate later in the year. Its suspension was refined and tuned by Ford experts who helped design the agile Mondeo.

If you want to read a very good car mag, one that doesn't suck up to every car maker, and a mag that really tells you if a car sucks, check out www.whatcar.com
By the way this is my first stop here and I am really impressed with the forums. I am deploying to Bosnia this summer and will be back in the States early to mid 2004. On my return I hope to be able to purchase a Mazdaspeed-6 with AWD! That would be some screamer.
Cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Will N. America get

19kilo, welcome to the boards! Good luck on your deployment. What branch of the service are you in? What is your MOS (or equivalent)?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but I'll try to clarify details in the article as best I can.

The 6 is powered by the same 3.0L Duratec engine, but using Mazda heads and other parts. To the best of my knowledge, it is not the same as the engine in the Mondeo ST220.

The current generation Mondeo isn't built on the same platform as the 6. The NEXT generation Mondeo however is slated to share the 6's platform. The 6 platform is rigged to allow for AWD. AWD is already an option in Europe and Japan on the wagon only. There is no reason why they couldn't offer it as an option on the sedan and hatch as well, but it hasn't happened as yet.

The Mazdaspeed 6 hasn't been announced for production yet, and at this point looks a little doubtful for the US market. Keep your fingers crossed though.

I like What Car, but prefer Car and Evo as far as European mags go. All the Euro mags seem to keep manufacturer pandering to a minimum. It is always refreshing to hear them rip into a car, rather than the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" school that American mags seem to be stuck on. Grow a pair, that's what I say.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Will N. America get'

The same 6 platform will also be used for the next American Ford Taurus. Although Ford may drop the Taurus name since it may remind people the ugly POS in the last decade.

Looks like American brands are smarting up. Infusing European design into American products.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reading Topic: Will N. America get

kenoka, I am in the MN National Guard. Currently a Captain branched Armor, been a tanker my hole career.
My wife is a Portuguese national and I have spent a lot of time in europe and enjoy their honesty vs. U.S. mags.
As far as MazdaSpeed goes, I understand that we may NEVER see one but look at what Subaru and the WRX has brought to our shores. First the Rex, then Mitsu brings the Lancer EVO now Soob is brining their 300+hp STi WRX Impreza over to America.
I hope that Mazda will continue the same thought pattern, first the MP3 great chasis, poor preformance, then with the great demand comes the Protege MazdaSpeed unequaled dynamics and finally a powerplant to compliment the great handling chasis.
When Mazda/Ford sees the great success of Mazda6 it would not take much R&D $$$ to bring over a version to our shores.
Living up in Minnesota, having a car with 230hp and only driving 2 wheels is a crazy thing 1/2 of the year. Add AWD and 40 hp then you could have a car that will compete with the next gen Soob Legacy that will have have the 2.5 litre turbo and AWD and possibly 260+ hp.
Finally, with my father-in-law and his pension from Ford I can "Y" plan a Mazda at a great price.
Tim
SFOR-14

1 - 5 of 5 Posts