Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will 5w-30 oil hurt the 6s 3.0L engine that is stated to be used with 5w-20 oil? I only ask as my bud has 6 quarts left over unused that he'll give me for free and well, free beats 65 bucks lol. So if 5w-30 won't hurt my engine even in Tx i'll just use that and save my $ for clear side markers :D.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry i'm so freaking tired that my post made almost no sense lol. i was asking if using 5w-30 instead of the 5w-20 the manual and oil cap call for would hurt the engine in Tx heat. I mean i highly doubted it would but wanted to make sure before i did it.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
No it doesn't hurt the engine. You might see a slight drop in fuel economy (1 mpg) but that's about it.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
No it doesn't hurt the engine. You might see a slight drop in fuel economy (1 mpg) but that's about it.
[/b]
That's exactly what I noticed when I did it. I'm back in 5-20 now that I could find it in Pennzoil Plat.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That's exactly what I noticed when I did it. I'm back in 5-20 now that I could find it in Pennzoil Plat.
[/b]
To explain multi-weight oil ratings- the number with the "W" is the winter or cold rating, the 2nd numbeer is its flow when warm. The higher the number, the slower it flows (viscosity). The 5W-30 will be somewhat heavier than a 5W-20 when warm which can increase the resistance on moving parts-this the decrease of fuel economy. You can look up more info at any of the oil websites for more info.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey i went from my r/t that was getting about 10 city/12 highway due to the power i added so the 22 down to 20-21 i'll get in my 6 is fine by me. figure that 1mpg will take quite a bit of time to justify the 65-70 bucks it is for synthetic oil.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
It shouldn't hurt anything.I screwed up and put 5w30 in mine once by grabbing the wrong bottles off the shelf at work and dropped 1-2 mpg avg for the 3000 miles other than that it wasn't harmful

1 - 8 of 8 Posts