Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, the car is about 5300km in... I was thinking of waiting until the first oil change, but this has been happening, and seeming to get more noticeable over the last 2000km. Its usually under a normal accel, not hard accel, that I notice it .. and the feeling is as if the tranny is slipping, or the turbo is stuttering or choking, more or less just not boosting right. My first tank of gas I had 670km on and filled up with ultra 94 and was like 56L in the 60L tank. Every time since its been around 53-57L and I am only getting about 575km max. Now I know that since I have gotten accustomed to the car, I should be able to drive it better, and not always be flooring it for the fun.. so I should be able to mainting 600km per tank. As for the turbo stutter, any ideas? Should I take this to the dealer or what? Thanks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey everyone, the car is about 5300km in... I was thinking of waiting until the first oil change, but this has been happening, and seeming to get more noticeable over the last 2000km. Its usually under a normal accel, not hard accel, that I notice it .. and the feeling is as if the tranny is slipping, or the turbo is stuttering or choking, more or less just not boosting right. My first tank of gas I had 670km on and filled up with ultra 94 and was like 56L in the 60L tank. Every time since its been around 53-57L and I am only getting about 575km max. Now I know that since I have gotten accustomed to the car, I should be able to drive it better, and not always be flooring it for the fun.. so I should be able to mainting 600km per tank. As for the turbo stutter, any ideas? Should I take this to the dealer or what? Thanks.
[/b]
I'm starting to guess from hearing from a few folks about a "stutter" type problem that perhaps the plugs are fouling out on these cars.

The fact of the pig rich A/F ratio of 10 leads me to believe we may see serious carbon buildup problems, especially if the car is not run hard. I'd try a few bottles of injector cleaner and some good gas like Shell V power and see if that helps, otherwise have the plugs looked at as an easy first guess.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had been using Sunoco Ultra 94, only used ESSO 91 once, and SHELL only offers 87, 89, and 91 or bronze blah blah.. v-power... I thought it was actually lower than 94, so I preferred to gas up at either GTO or SUNOCO. I did fill up with 87 at a shell, and tried a bottle of Penzoil octane booster... whats the thoughts on that? I would have thought the plugs are fouling too, its the same type of feel... however its not all the time, only really noticeable in 3rd and 4th gear, and only around those rpms... I'm not sure if its the power loss thing that everyone else is talking about, I think the car has lots of balls in the lower gears, as long as I am on the gas... but higher up it seems to drop off.. and as for the stutter, it almost feels like turbo is leaking off boost?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had been using Sunoco Ultra 94, only used ESSO 91 once, and SHELL only offers 87, 89, and 91 or bronze blah blah.. v-power... I thought it was actually lower than 94, so I preferred to gas up at either GTO or SUNOCO. I did fill up with 87 at a shell, and tried a bottle of Penzoil octane booster... whats the thoughts on that? I would have thought the plugs are fouling too, its the same type of feel... however its not all the time, only really noticeable in 3rd and 4th gear, and only around those rpms... I'm not sure if its the power loss thing that everyone else is talking about, I think the car has lots of balls in the lower gears, as long as I am on the gas... but higher up it seems to drop off.. and as for the stutter, it almost feels like turbo is leaking off boost?
[/b]

lol u used 87 with 1 bottle of octane booster.........yeah....... :nono: :laugh:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Its the AWD system doing its job. It feels like a shutter or jerk sometimes. I've noticed it since new.

·
Registered
440 Posts
.. and as for the stutter, it almost feels like turbo is leaking off boost?
[/b]
FWIW...A boost leak will not stutter, it'll just feel like there's less power. I don't know, perhaps there's a bad spot in the fuel map of the ECU?

Is this the point the VVT kicks in?

Its the AWD system doing its job. It feels like a shutter or jerk sometimes. I've noticed it since new.
[/b]
mine does not do it.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i've experienced it only twice, since the reflash. i have over 11k miles and it only started after the reflash @10.5k miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its definately right where I start to feel boost... 2500rpm, and it only does it for a few seconds until about 3300rpm then the turbo spools good and the car takes off excellent. I had a friend with me, that drives a GTP, and he thought it was just under powered.. rpms were too low, and bogged down the engine with fuel? I blew that off though, as I know the feeling of shifting up and being over geared for the rpms... you can feel the turbo spool, and the power starting to pull, but it just seems as if something starts kinda spitting and then once it stops its a steady smooth power band. I'd really like to get the Boost Gauge installed to figure out whats happening with the turbo... I just need some wiring info, and where to tee the line under the hood. I would have thought there was a how to on the site, but thus far I have been unable to locate it :S

·
Registered
440 Posts
Its definately right where I start to feel boost... 2500rpm, and it only does it for a few seconds until about 3300rpm then the turbo spools good and the car takes off excellent. I had a friend with me, that drives a GTP, and he thought it was just under powered.. rpms were too low, and bogged down the engine with fuel? I blew that off though, as I know the feeling of shifting up and being over geared for the rpms... you can feel the turbo spool, and the power starting to pull, but it just seems as if something starts kinda spitting and then once it stops its a steady smooth power band. I'd really like to get the Boost Gauge installed to figure out whats happening with the turbo... I just need some wiring info, and where to tee the line under the hood. I would have thought there was a how to on the site, but thus far I have been unable to locate it :S
[/b]
It's not a boost issue, it's either spark or fuel.

boost..... or the lack thereoff will not cause sputtering in and of itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not saying its a boost problem, I would just like to see where the boost is, and if its actually jumping when this is happening, or if its staying constant. I just need to figure out where under the hood is the best place... hopefully VIA a picture, to install the tee for the gauge.

·
Registered
998 Posts
[/b]
This is for you dabears:

:search:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm starting to guess from hearing from a few folks about a "stutter" type problem that perhaps the plugs are fouling out on these cars.

The fact of the pig rich A/F ratio of 10 leads me to believe we may see serious carbon buildup problems, especially if the car is not run hard. I'd try a few bottles of injector cleaner and some good gas like Shell V power and see if that helps, otherwise have the plugs looked at as an easy first guess.
[/b]
It's not the carbon or the gap on the plugs. This was covered in another post where I pulled the plugs because this stutter was bugging the shit out of me. I narrowed the rpm range down from about 2800 to 3400 is when this occurs. My best guess at the time is the air/fuel mixture is off, from looking at some of the dyno sheets on here. But 4000 miles later it doesn't seem as obtrusive. I don't know if I got used to it or the CPU got used to me.

Check this post (near the end) http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...&hl=stutter

·
Registered
364 Posts
i have only had this happen when the car is not fully up to operating temp

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know this is off topic, but 670 km per tank? 575 km per tank? Wow, I'm lucky to hit 450 km and this is just normal city driving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts