Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever notice those big pieces of tire that are laying around on the side of the road? Ever wonder how they got there and what it must be like to see it happen?

Driving back on the Mass. Pike from Boston this week and all of a sudden, I don't wonder anymore. An 18-wheeler about 6 cars in front of me was in the middle of passing another trailer when all of a sudden, there was screeching and brake lights flashing at me like tumbling dominoes. I thought some jackass had just decided to slow down a bit too much until I noticed the debris flying everywhere and cars swerving likewise. It was like flying thru the asteroid field in Armageddon.

The CRV in front of me with its ground clearance managed to tumble over a portion of the tire that was clearly about 1/3 of its total and kick it up at me. I caught it with the left front portion of the bumper and patted my chest to calm my heart before pulling off at the next rest station to take a look.

It scuffed the bumper in parts but actually gouged and dug into the paint in an area of about a foot wide. Deep scratches to reveal the black guts of a white bumper. *OUCH*.

Breathe easy... my M6 is still 2 weeks from delivery. I was driving my brothers Acura TL. He will proceed to kick my ass later. In the meantime, I'm gonna go pickup a front mask for my 6. Originally, it was just to protect the front end of the car from small rocks and such on long road trips. Now that list includes exploded truck tire debris.

There's no harm in putting the thing on for the length of road trips only, is there? I would never keep it on otherwise...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Reading Topic: Why one would purchase the front mask...

The only problems I have seen with the Car Bra's are the risk of paint fading. Either water sits underneath and causes extra harm or the rest of the car fades faster than the part that is covered.

I don't know if this is still a problem nowadays with advances in paints and clearcoats, but just be advised.

Now just puttin it on for road trips, I don't think there would be any problem other than the hassle of putting it on and taking it off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Why one would purchase the front mask...'

even if you only use it for road trips "make sure you don't get any dirt under it " or inthe meterial that comes in contact with your paint you know what that would do to your paint job

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Really? Even for short trips? Keeping it clean wouldn't be a problem on trips unless it rained. Then Of course the rain would leak water and dirt under the bra and up against the car. But do you really think that the short exposure- say on a 5 hour road trip or less, would still cause damage?

·
Registered
628 Posts

I think on 1-day trips you would be fine. Just take car when you take it off...And be sure to clean the area before you put it on...

·
Registered
105 Posts

I thought about the same thing but the problem with a bra...(there are many possible directions for this thread to go now...) is that it traps water and grit and acts more like sandpaper as you drive along.

I think that I will just buy a bra when I go to sell the car to cover up any unsightly scrapes and chips that might be (and probably will be there at that time.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by toluidine

I think that I will just buy a bra when I go to sell the car to cover up any unsightly scrapes and chips that might be (and probably will be there at that time.[/b]
That is what Bras are for.

Think about it once. You washed your car yesterday, today I walk up with a dry "clean" diaper and start rubbing back and forth on the bumper.

Would you be pissed? I would. And that's just what you are doing putting on that fitted bra. The you drive at 60+ MPH as you watch the bra vibro sanding the surface.

JMHO

·
Registered
231 Posts

well, consider yourself blessed - the above scenario happened to me 2 weeks ago in my mazda6, and i now have 2 small gouges in the driver's-side front bumper to show for it. they're only visible if you're on the ground in front of the car, but still - ARGH.

i would still recommend against a front mask ("bra"); because those can wreak havoc on the paint. do a search on "xpel" instead. i'll be going this route in the very-near future.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hmmm. Point taken. No real protection against asteroids then...

Does Pep-Boys sell shields like the ones from Star Wars yet? ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts

You know, if you had gotten the license plate of the truck that "exploded", his insurance is responsible for your damage.

Joe

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I thought of that. However, I was still about 5-6 cars behind it and a little shaken up. Not to mention every other car between us must have felt the same as they also slowed down considerably. I also got off the next chance I got so that's my fault. I should have hawked his ass down.

Is that a fact, though? If a truck's tire explodes and gets you, they are responsible? I was wondering if this would have been along the lines of being "an act of God" like hitting a deer is considered.

·
Registered
895 Posts

Yes, their insurance would pick up the bill. It was their tire, not God's tire.

Well, I suppose it sort of was God's tire. God probably has insurance, give him a ring and see what you can get.

·
Registered
111 Posts

just put a lot of coats of wax on the front end I do that with my Miata and it does help not against stones but bugs come right off with a spray bottle of H2o

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

NY bugs are impervious to wax. But I'll give it a whirl.

By the way, I could just start taking down all the plate #'s of all the trucks I see and start calling them to claim damage from an exploded tire, huh?
If they didn't have one explode, then I just hang up and move to the next one... sooner or later I'm bound to ge one that did...

I could get them fixing something for me free!:p

·
Registered
322 Posts

The other thing you can do, is leave a decent following space between you and the vehicles in front, so you have the chance to slam on the breaks and get the fuck out :)

·
Registered
526 Posts

Those damn bras or, 'front end covers', if you want to get all politically correct suck. When I was given one with my last car the dealer said to take it off the instant it got wet, don't leave it on for more than three weeks at a time (and then leave it off for a week) to resist paint fade.

My life is complex enough as it is.

And - ever see the covers on other cars? Most of the time, some portion of it is flapping in the wind. Looks harmless - until you realize that the high-speed oscillation is slowly wearing a hole in your clearcoat. Should take all of about an hour on the freeway to do some expensive damage. But you, the driver are oblivious - it looks fine sitting still.

I put Xpel on my car and so far have no regrets.

A

·
0 Posts

I used a bra on 1990 Olds Cutlas Supreme and didn't have the problems you all are talking about. The paint wasn't scratched or pitted. I bought a breathable one that water would not set under for it air dried while driving. I just took it off each time I washed and waxed the car and also washed the bra underside each time. It had cloth backing on it that was just as softas the one you wipe your cars down with when waxing it. Of course I wax my car more then most. I had a 1970 Duster which was Lemon Twist Yellow and I waxed it every weekend for I always went to the Beach on weekends. Didn't want the salt to get to it.

Now I am a proud owner of a Speed Yellow Mazda6s fully equiped but the leather seats. Don't like leather since the Olds. Too hot in the summer and they haven't figured out they need cooling too just as well as heat in the winter. Also leather starts to split or crack in time. If taken care of Cloth will hold up better. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts