Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's Toyota Corolla finally died after 197,000 miles. Actually it still ran beautifully but a bolt broke off that holds on the harmonic balancer and that was going to be too costly to fix. We were hoping to wait until our other vehicle was paid off before getting another vehicle but because of this, we were forced to get one. My wife really wanted the Acura TL so we begn the search. After looking at a few I began to realize that the TL was going to cost us dearly. She wanted one with the leather, heated seats, moonroof, and a spoiler. The more we looked and found out what payments would be, the more discouraged we became. One day in my search I saw a black 2005 6s with 7000 miles. It had everything she wanted on the TL mentioned above and more. I brought it home showed it to her and we drove it. I had done research on these cars but we had not driven any. My wife reluctantly agreed to buying the 6s with some reservation(understatement), but the price was right. She really wanted the TL so initially she pouted a little. Now afer about a month I can see she really likes this car. We always have to park in the back of parking lots with the curb on one side to decrease the chances of getting a door ding. The car has really grown on her and she loves to drive it. I like it too. Actually I fell in love with it the day I saw it. I couldn't be more pleased. I know that the TL is a great car but I was wondering if there is anyone out there with a similar situation? I feel that the 6 is much more sporty and more fun to drive and the Bose stereo is way better. One of her initial arguments was durabilty and longevity. Does anyone have any knowledge about the durability of the 6 verses the Honda or Acura products? Can we expect to get the type of longevity that the other Japanese carmakers give? We have the 3.0 V6 and do regular maintenance and we don't take it to the track. I am happy with my choice but just curious to know what others think.

Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had a black 2005 6s 5spd which I eventually traded in for an MS6. I believed the car looked amazing for a daily driver and had no issues with it after ~20k miles. Granted the 3.0L V6 is a Ford Duratec, there aren't many issues at all with it. Keep in mind that any problems stated on these forums make up a small percentage of the owners.

Don't think you could have gone wrong with either the 6s or the TL. Overall similar cars, but the 6s is easily more fun to drive. Then again some drivers would trade great ride quality for something like seat heaters. Congrats on your purchase and good luck with the car.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,540 Posts
Congrats on your choice of the Mazda6! You made the right choice.

The Acura TL was also too rich for my blood when I bought my 6, but I drove the TSX a few different times, and for the price, it wasn't worth it. The 4-cyl with MTX was okay, but it didn't have as much punch compared to the V6 in the 6. The interior was nice too, but not worth the $5K price difference.

As far as reliability is concerned, with regular maintenance, you should do just fine. The Duratec V6 is very reliable, and after 2 1/2 years and 40K miles, I'm still smiling! The only issue I've had is a CEL from a faulty gas cap, which was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
$74K mi and still going strong. Well, aside from a couple clutches.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
We have two 6's, the wagon and the 5-door! Obviously, we have not any issues at all and we havehad the cars 2 years + and loving every minute of it. Good luck with yours, I am sure you'll both enjoy it! BTW you should note where your location is in your profile.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks for the input. My wife was the hardest to convince but like I said, the more she drives it the better she likes it. I used to have a Miata and it was the funnest car I ever had. That is saying a lot because I used to trade a lot. I have had close to 50 cars since I was 16. Sounds worse than it really is because most were back in the day and were old junkers that I picked up and tinkered with.

When we first test drove the 6 we did not really test its full capabilities. Now that my wife has been driving it about a month I think she is realizing how fun it is. The TL is very nice, but the balance tilts more to the luxury side while the 6 tilts more to the sporty side. As long as I get good realiability we will continue to be thrilled.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I would say you made the right choice. I find the 6 to be a great compromise car for someone looking to have a little higher-class type of car but can't quite afford it. As far as the reliability, you should have nothing to worry about. I'm approaching 45K and no major issues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Aside from a few lemons (you would know by yours if your 6 was a lemon) that any automaker has, the 6 has proved fairly reliable for most owners from what I understand. Since it was first produced in 03 (correct me if im wrong) you probably arent going to find many ~200,000 milers like your old Corolla. From what is said in the first 50,000 miles, it sounds like with regular maitnence the 6 will prove a reliable car.

Congrats on your purchase, my family now has a camry and in a matter of months is getting a 6. I cant wait to feel how this thing drives... good luck to you.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i took looked at the TL and the TSX when I was out car shopping....but they were WAY out of my price range for what I wanted on my car. I've been in love with the 6 since they came out and I first saw them. I couldn't be happier with my choice - it's sporty, sexy, sleek, and I can make the payments!!! I don't think I would have been this happy with any other car. :love:

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
i took looked at the TL and the TSX when I was out car shopping....but they were WAY out of my price range for what I wanted on my car. I've been in love with the 6 since they came out and I first saw them. I couldn't be happier with my choice - it's sporty, sexy, sleek, and I can make the payments!!! I don't think I would have been this happy with any other car. :love:
[/b]
I feel the same way basically. I really liked the TL alot, but jesus they're expensive! The TSX was too small for me to fit properly. The Accord was not the same to me, it felt too sleepy. I wanted something that was ready to move when I hit the gas and handled very well, and I found it.

I've also liked the 6 since they came out. Had I bought one in 2003 instead of the POS PT Cruiser I had before, maybe I wouldn't have had so many reliability issues and replaced parts. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

If you're worried about longevity, you could always purchase an extended warranty.
Mazda extended warranty

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
the only problems seen in the 6's but only seen in the first models 03 & 04 is bad clotch. It was fixed for the 06 for sure and i believe as well as the 05. Great choice with the 6 though!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I can't expect perfection from any car. I also have a Honda Odyssey and I understand that they have had some real problems with transmissions. As we know Hondas are supposed to be bullet proof. I am very pleased with the carand do not have any regrets. My wife was however complaining this morning about the windows being difficult to defog. I told her to make sure the outside air is on. She said she had it on to no avail. We have the climate control. I suspect its something she is not doing right. Any suggestions on this??

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Well I can't expect perfection from any car. I also have a Honda Odyssey and I understand that they have had some real problems with transmissions. As we know Hondas are supposed to be bullet proof. I am very pleased with the carand do not have any regrets. My wife was however complaining this morning about the windows being difficult to defog. I told her to make sure the outside air is on. She said she had it on to no avail. We have the climate control. I suspect its something she is not doing right. Any suggestions on this??
[/b]
Kev, what does she have the temp set at for the heater blower? If you have the ACC, have her hit the top button for the defroster, then go to the fan control and adjust the temp. Hopefully, this will work. Have her hit the AMB button to see what the heater temp is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She told me today the temp was 70. I suspect she needs to raise it a little and kick up the blower speed.

Kev

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
My 6 probably has the best defogger in any car I've ever owned. Hit the button and it's almost instantaneous. The only problem I have with my 6 is the clutch. Other than that, all the other problems were fixed under warranty.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts