Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been following some MS3 forums and each and every one of the owners describe this demon unleashed starting in the third gear. I couldn't really say that about my MS6 although the first two gears are great b/c of the AWD and lack of limiters. I realize the MS6 lugs around 500 more lbs but it has the same engine. Do you think it could be as simple as a tuning or chipping to extract even more out of the 2.3? (nothing available aftermarket right now)? Invite your comments and theories.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Less weight, no AWD zapping the torque, and the MS3 has that "torque management" system that limits torque until 3rd gear or so to prevent torque steer. Simple reasons... :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
He didn't mean from a dead stop.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Let's break out the Ouijia board and ask it about the unleashed demons.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My MS6 is a pussy demon.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yeah no more "non turbo regular ol' 4 banger" mode. I still get weird half second things where it cops out under full throttle.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am starting to think that the MS3 puts out the same HP/TQ as the MS6.... anyways, yes, the MS3 is torque limited in first two gears... it does it by cutting boost, so its more like boost limited. And MS3 gets the traction once moving, outta all the reviews I read, it does pull like crazy in 3rd gear, since this motor is tuned for midrange torque, haha but it wont last long... it runs outta breath like the speed6, too bad.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Soon as more people start buying them we'll find out won't we....

So far my Speed6 can pull on a stock evo9... tested it out 3-4x on the freeway at speeds between 60 and 120 mph... The speed6 is a LOT more touchy.. in that .. if you make one mistake or are in the wrong gear / rpm range you're toast... where as the evo ... though still a turbo and similar... is a lot more forgiving about not shifting exactly right....

Plus it doesn't have any of the lack of power issues we do...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
also remember that the MS3 has torque electronically limited in 1&2 to reduce torque steer. you get back in 3 what you miss out on in 1+2.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Soon as more people start buying them we'll find out won't we....

So far my Speed6 can pull on a stock evo9... tested it out 3-4x on the freeway at speeds between 60 and 120 mph... The speed6 is a LOT more touchy.. in that .. if you make one mistake or are in the wrong gear / rpm range you're toast... where as the evo ... though still a turbo and similar... is a lot more forgiving about not shifting exactly right....

Plus it doesn't have any of the lack of power issues we do...
[/b]
Your car is not stock, right? I've driven both cars. That and the numbers also indicate that either your car is not stock or the EVO did not realize you were racing (or was not familiar the a manual transmission).

:nana:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Your car is not stock, right? I've driven both cars. That and the numbers also indicate that either your car is not stock or the EVO did not realize you were racing (or was not familiar the a manual transmission).

I am just waiting for the threads where people tell everyone they pull on Z06's and Lambos.... :nana:
[/b]

no he doesnt have to be lying. there is a difference between a roll race and a race from a dig(or a stop). people dont seem to get that. yes from a a dig an evo or sti will win. from a a roll, an sti, evo , and ms6 are actually pretty equal. they all pull 99.5-101.5 trap speeds in the 1/4 mile which show thats our cars will be right beside them.

i found i am side by side sti's in my area, as long as i dont misshift like he stated. i actually was going to post last night again, but last time i wrote something about that it got closed for "street racing". whatever the case, in a roll race we can be as fast as evo's and sti's.

·
Registered
940 Posts
no he doesnt have to be lying. there is a difference between a roll race and a race from a dig(or a stop). people dont seem to get that. yes from a a dig an evo or sti will win. from a a roll, an sti, evo , and ms6 are actually pretty equal. they all pull 99.5-101.5 trap speeds in the 1/4 mile which show thats our cars will be right beside them.

i found i am side by side sti's in my area, as long as i dont misshift like he stated. i actually was going to post last night again, but last time i wrote something about that it got closed for "street racing". whatever the case, in a roll race we can be as fast as evo's and sti's.
[/b]
Well then, my car is even more neutered by the reflash than I previously thought, but his MS6 is definitely not normal or stock.
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...c=63783&hl=

Did not mean to call anyone a liar - just based on personal experience, that just does not happen (hence the comment about the MS6 not stock/bad evo driver)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Well then, my car is even more neutered by the reflash than I previously thought, but his MS6 is definitely not normal or stock.
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...c=63783&hl=

Did not mean to call anyone a liar - just based on personal experience, that just does not happen (hence the comment about the MS6 not stock/bad evo driver)
[/b]

no one said you called anyone a liar, you just simply didn't believe his statement. either way, i do believe based solely on the fact that trap speeds in these 3 cars are similiar, mind you i'm not talking an evo mr or an rs. i'm talking about a base evo8 or 9, since they are alittle slower, and a sti.

i can honestly say i have gone neck and neck with sti's, or even pulled on them a VERY slight bit, i'm talking half car length from a roll, never had the chance from a dig. i have 3 inch axle back exhaust, no mufflers, thats all. i dont know, maybe i have a factory freak, or i'm a good driving, whatever the case.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My car is not stock... I have CAI, BOV, Downpipe... and a Sexy Driver!

Well at least the first 3... MAKE NO MISTAKE... a modified evo.. for half the price of a modified speed6... will tear any mazda a new one... They have been around for a long time... and the mods for them are well known.. well tested.. and cheaper than ours...

However this evo I met up with... was stock... as best I could tell.. no tint job... stock exhaust... it just looked.. stock... we played around.. had fun.. it was not a timed drag race.. it was driving on the freeway .. passing cars and such when there were openings...

I didn't make it clear enough that.. though I pulled on him those few times... all the other times he pulled from me... Like I said... the speed6 is a touchy little biotch... if you do any little thing wrong at any point... or if you have a SLIGHT lack of power issue... you're toast...

BUT when you do everything right.. and the car is actually working at full power... she'll do amazing things =)

In a full out real timed drag-race at the tracks... I usually get eaten up by people... I just never seem to pull good times against the fast cars... I've been up against mustangs... pontiacs.. and other POS cars that I toasted... and pulled 13.7-13.9s... But it seems like almost every time i'm up against an EVO or STi or SRT4... any of those or faster cars.. i pull 14.2's ... or slower.. hell several weeks ago I pulled a frigin 14.8... GO GO LACK OF POWER BS!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
stock evo 9, puts down about 240-250whp and traps 102-105 (MR). I'd like to see a ms6 pull on a stock evo 9. Average I see ms6 pull is 97-98 traps.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
stock evo 9, puts down about 240-250whp and traps 102-105 (MR). I'd like to see a ms6 pull on a stock evo 9. Average I see ms6 pull is 97-98 traps.
[/b]
you need to take a trip to maryland speedway, atco or englishtown. go watch some evo's run. the do not on any consistant basis pull 102-105 traps. yes, they trap over 100 with a good launch. yes i have seen an MR run a 103.9mph. but that doesnt mean that from a roll a ms6 could not or would not pull or stick with an evo or sti. drivers and cars vary. just because you have an evo doesnt mean you or the car is capable of running a 104-105 mph trap speed. just because you own a ms6 doesnt mean you'll pull a 97 mph trap speed and not a 100 mph trap. things vary, air, wind, traction. thats all im saying.

oh and i havent seen any MR put down 250 hp unless it was hub hp.

·
Registered
856 Posts
This thread got way off real quick!

Back to the topic. The Speed6 is limited in 1st and 2nd gear as well but not as much as the MS3 I would assume. I recorded a few runs with my Defi boost gauge and this is what I found. 1st and 2nd gear settle to around 13.5-14psi where 3rd and up settle to 15.6.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts