Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
8,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is one of those days (89 degrees F, with an index of 99, and the car reads 106 after being parked) that I really, REALLY miss the windows-down from keyfob function that had on my '10.

Why, oh wise and wonderful Mazda, did you drop that feature from the 3rd-gen?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't an automaker that wants to get some of the entry-luxury market clientele include that simple function?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Today is one of those days (89 degrees F, with an index of 99, and the car reads 106 after being parked) that I really, REALLY miss the windows-down from keyfob function that had on my '10.

Why, oh wise and wonderful Mazda, did you drop that feature from the 3rd-gen?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't an automaker that wants to get some of the entry-luxury market clientele include that simple function?

I also miss this feature and the possibility to close the moonroof and windows by holding the door button.

They also removed the alarm system, at least from the Canadian GT (GTR in the US). I don't know why. There's the immobilizer, but no alarm. Weird.

On the flip side, on my 2009, it was starting to go bad and turned on for no apparent reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
I does have auto up/down feature on all windows though that allows for quick down. For me, I only used that feature on the company car, Ford Fusion SE a few times actually over a two year period. Would have rather had Mazda included heated side mirrors on my Touring model that was fogged/iced over quite a bit over the winter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in Tucson, where I “nice summer day” is 105 degrees. My wife’s 2008 Miata has this feature, but my new Mazda 6 doesn’t. Why, oh why, would they eliminate this simple feature that other brands have added?

Opening the drivers door and climbing into a car that has been sitting in the desert sun isn’t just a minor inconvenience. Temperatures in a closed car here can be well in excess of 150 degrees, yet I have to open the door, climb into the car, and start it before I can roll down a window to let the hot air out. I would think that Mazda could come up with a simple software fix for this very stupid mistake on their part.

What seems to be a minor issue to some, may be a reason for me to get rid of my Mazda and never buy another.

Everyone should be complaining to Mazda about this. Trying to move into the “near luxury” market while removing features is ridiculous. It’s possible there could be a software fix or maybe a reconfigured module to address this issue. But if no one complains, nothing gets done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Actually, you'd be surprised what simple features aren't included on expensive luxury(especially German) cars. A $42,000 C Class or $53,000 E Class doesn't even come standard with Keyless Go, leather, heated seats, AEB or FCW.

Mazda probably figures this could be remedied by the customer simply installing remote start. If there's almost no chance of rain anytime soon, you can also crack your windows. A good windshield shade should help as well. It's really not that big of a deal. I'm saying this as someone who lives in South Texas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Actually, you'd be surprised what simple features aren't included on expensive luxury(especially German) cars. A $42,000 C Class or $53,000 E Class doesn't even come standard with Keyless Go, leather, heated seats, AEB or FCW.

Mazda probably figures this could be remedied by the customer simply installing remote start. If there's almost no chance of rain anytime soon, you can also crack your windows. A good windshield shade should help as well. It's really not that big of a deal. I'm saying this as someone who lives in South Texas.
Sure the German cars make many features optional at extra cost, but this is a feature that comes standard on Honda, Toyota, even Hyundai, KIA and other low priced cars. It was even standard on Mazda, until they removed it for some unexplained reason. They even had it on the Miata. Now, it isn’t even available as an option. Having it and being used to that feature, then buying a newer, top of the line (Signature) model only to lose that feature... yes, it is a Big Deal. I would gladly pay to have it back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sure the German cars make many features optional at extra cost, but this is a feature that comes standard on Honda, Toyota, even Hyundai, KIA and other low priced cars. It was even standard on Mazda, until they removed it for some unexplained reason. They even had it on the Miata. Now, it isn’t even available as an option. Having it and being used to that feature, then buying a newer, top of the line (Signature) model only to lose that feature... yes, it is a Big Deal. I would gladly pay to have it back.
Fair enough I guess. I never knew this feature even existed on cars until this thread, so I guess for me it's not like I'm missing out. I've never seen my parents, friends, strangers, or family use such a feature in my life.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fair enough I guess. I never knew this feature even existed on cars until this thread, so I guess for me it's not like I'm missing out. I've never seen my parents, friends, strangers, or family use such a feature in my life.
That’s because most people don’t even know they have it. They don’t read their manual. Also, unless you live in a very hot climate it’s not as important. But when you show someone that they can just hold down the unlock button on their fob and their windows will open, they begin to appreciate the feature. My neighbor has a Toyota and a Honda. They weren’t aware that both cars could do that. Once I showed them, they use it now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is my communication with Mazda customer support re this feature:

Me
“I recently acquired my Mazda 6. Unlike my wife’s 08 Miata, I am unable to get the windows to open from the remote. I live in Tucson AZ, where the interior of a parked car can be well in excess of 150F, so this is no small issue. Please tell me that I don’t have to climb into a hellish environment and sit there while starting the engine and only then, am I able to open a window. If so, is there a software fix or anything else I can do, other than sell the car and look for another brand?”

Mazda
”Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center, it's so great to hear from you. I can understand with extreme heat, wanting to roll down the windows prior to entering the vehicle. My parents actually live in Arizona as well, and I know how hot it can get.

I personally drive a 2018 Mazda 6 and can confirm that this is the normal operation of the vehicle. Because the vehicle was not designed for this function, there would not be a software update available to allow this functionality.

I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you. We appreciate you taking the opportunity to connect with us, and for allowing us the opportunity to respond. Thank you for being a loyal Mazda customer, and feel free to connect with us if you have any questions in the future. Enjoy your weekend!”

Me
Could someone explain why this feature was removed by Mazda? Previously it was included on all Mazda’s. Now, it’s not available even on your top-of-the-line Signature edition vehicles. Yet Honda and Toyota now have it included on cars that didn’t have it in the past. Seems like Mazda is going in the opposite direction by removing features.”

Mazda
From year to year, our product planners and engineers make changes that they see fit based off the feedback from our customers.

I will be happy to share your specific feedback to our team for future consideration”

So, who here has been writing Mazda to ask them to remove features from their cars? Because, apparently Mazda customers demanded this feature be eliminated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So, who here has been writing Mazda to ask them to remove features from their cars? Because, apparently Mazda customers demanded this feature be eliminated.
Simple, building cars to a price point is give and take. Since the most people don't even know about this feature, I doubt people asked to have it removed. It was probably an easy cut in favor of other features that customers have actually requested or that make the car more competitive overall.

You're Mazda and you get thousands of customer requests or your biggest competitors are all adding features like express-up/down in all-four windows; where are you going to cost cut? The features few people actually use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is my communication with Mazda customer support re this feature:

Me
“I recently acquired my Mazda 6. Unlike my wife’s 08 Miata, I am unable to get the windows to open from the remote. I live in Tucson AZ, where the interior of a parked car can be well in excess of 150F, so this is no small issue. Please tell me that I don’t have to climb into a hellish environment and sit there while starting the engine and only then, am I able to open a window. If so, is there a software fix or anything else I can do, other than sell the car and look for another brand?”

Mazda
”Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center, it's so great to hear from you. I can understand with extreme heat, wanting to roll down the windows prior to entering the vehicle. My parents actually live in Arizona as well, and I know how hot it can get.

I personally drive a 2018 Mazda 6 and can confirm that this is the normal operation of the vehicle. Because the vehicle was not designed for this function, there would not be a software update available to allow this functionality.

I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused you. We appreciate you taking the opportunity to connect with us, and for allowing us the opportunity to respond. Thank you for being a loyal Mazda customer, and feel free to connect with us if you have any questions in the future. Enjoy your weekend!”

Me
Could someone explain why this feature was removed by Mazda? Previously it was included on all Mazda’s. Now, it’s not available even on your top-of-the-line Signature edition vehicles. Yet Honda and Toyota now have it included on cars that didn’t have it in the past. Seems like Mazda is going in the opposite direction by removing features.”

Mazda
From year to year, our product planners and engineers make changes that they see fit based off the feedback from our customers.

I will be happy to share your specific feedback to our team for future consideration”

Can you share which website/email address you communicated with Mazda with? I'm going to bug them too.

This feature is all software related. There has to be a way to enable it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Before buying my 2018 6GT this was the first feature I checked coming from a 2007 GT and it was such a heartbreaker to learn it was removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd be willing to bet the feature died alongside Mazda's relationship with Ford in general. My 2015 Focus ST also had the ability to roll the windows up/down from the fob. I'm fairly certain my father's 2011-ish Edge had it as well.

A lot was shared between Mazda and Ford in those days, which would likely explain why second generation 6s would have it. The third generation coincides with the Ford split, hence no more fob feature. Depending on how much the body control computer changed between gen 2 and gen 3, adding it may not be possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts