Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When buying my car I didnt even condering the speed6 cause I thought Id never be able to afford it. Since I bought my v6 about a year ago ive come across a bit more money and have been looking at the speed. Finding ones with under 30k miles for between 14-16000. Can anyone please enlighten me as to why these care for as much as they offer are so cheap? I realize that perhaps in some ways they cant compete with the STI's or whatever.. but whats one good reason I shouldnt sell my V6 and get a newer Speed6 with less miles for the same monthly payment? lol

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
thats not really cheap. remember brand new they were $22k-26k. and they are 4-5 years old now. just consider them a good used car purchase. lol.

and the sti cant compete with the speed6 in some ways also. i dont care what options you buy, ur not gonna make a sti feel as luxurious as a speed6 GT on the interior

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but i mean mechanically the cars are good? Cause at this point im really tempted to just scrap the v6 and go find a speed.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This was exactly what i did. I had an 06 v6 6s with 66k on it and sold to buy my speed6 (only 29k miles). I could not be happier with the decision.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I did the same thing 3 years ago when I traded my v6 6s in for the MS6. The difference in power between the two was unbelievable at the time. Even though the 6s was only 2 years old, and I took it in the shorts with the trade in, I still don't regret it. :)

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Not to be a bummer or anything, but just fyi there a few things you'll need to do at a minimum to the stock MS6 to get her right, and before adding any power. To be clear, you need to do these even if you don't want any power upgrades.

Bare Minimum:

1. Rear Diff Mount $175 or $255 (~3-4 hrs labor)
2. SPC Front Camber Adjustable Ball Joints (or you'll chew up tires every 5K bc front camber isn't adj stock, and the stock alignment sucks) $180/pr (~1 hr labor)
3. Oil Catch Can (Only get the SM OCC) ~$165 (unsure of labor, lol. Depends if you take intake manifold off to clean it, which you should... ~3 hrs).

Not sure if you do your own work, or will have a shop install these for you, but those are the prices and ~labor times... hourly labor rates vary obviously, but you can call around local and find out. This way, you have an idea of the bare bones "extra" loot the MS6 will cost you.

Blaise was nice enough to put together a n00b guide that gives a lot more info and other things to do, but the above is the minimum if you just want to keep it stock, and more reliable. Here's his thread:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazdasp...mps-noob-thread-summary-guide-new-owners.html

Good Luck!

EDIT: Rear rear bone mount ~$120 and ~30 mins tops :) Thanks MV!

Reactions: AtTheDriveIn

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
And the leaking TC... :)
LOL, glad you mentioned that, because I have YET to look at mine, and I always end up getting distracted, and forget all about it. Is there anything you can you do about the leaky PTO anyways? (too lazy to search)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just got VVT tsb done and got estimate from the dealer for the TC. They ~$800 to redo 3 seals. I'll probably do it soon but for now just keep adding some oil...

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
thats not really cheap. remember brand new they were $22k-26k. and they are 4-5 years old now. just consider them a good used car purchase. lol.

and the sti cant compete with the speed6 in some ways also. i dont care what options you buy, ur not gonna make a sti feel as luxurious as a speed6 GT on the interior
fully loaded GT was 33500

·
Registered
177 Posts
DO IT! Overall, I really enjoy driving my Speed 6. There are some things to watch out for, as with any high performance car. 94 octane premium is pretty pricey, and you definately must change the oil every 3,000 miles, but you will love this car. Read the forums and you'll find out about a lot of the problems.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
fully loaded GT was 33500
Just because you got ass raped doesn't mean everybody paid that much.

Yes, they were going for 23-26 new. GTs and Sports alike. Go visit some of the posts from 3 years ago in the pricing thread and pick your jaw up off the floor.

The demand was low when they were new and the demand is low now.

And no, I don't consider these good cars. If you want a good car buy a Honda. If you want a quick, stylish car with some soul, pick you up a nice, gently used MS6 for a good price and have fun. Lifes short.

Just be prepared to go belly up when the mod bug bites and the piece of shit breaks.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Just because you got ass raped doesn't mean everybody paid that much.

Yes, they were going for 23-26 new. GTs and Sports alike. Go visit some of the posts from 3 years ago in the pricing thread and pick your jaw up off the floor.

The demand was low when they were new and the demand is low now.

And no, I don't consider these good cars. If you want a good car buy a Honda. If you want a quick, stylish car with some soul, pick you up a nice, gently used MS6 for a good price and have fun. Lifes short.

Just be prepared to go belly up when the mod bug bites and the piece of shit breaks.
Just because your car sucks doesn't mean they all suck :p

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Just because your car sucks doesn't mean they all suck :p
Fuck you, Greg. The MS6 has major flaws. Don't be naive. You can be candid about its problems and still enjoy the car.

And before all you fanboy noobs get butthurt about my opinion, kiss
my ass.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
:laugh: And welcome to the 6club! haha

Double post from the lounge, but I think it's pretty funny and he rips on the MS3, lol

Reactions: AtTheDriveIn
1 - 20 of 44 Posts