Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd consider installing the Sirius radio option but I find it ridiculous that Mazda charges almost $400 just for the equipment. It's not like it even comes with a headunit since equipment plugs into the standard headunit.

Yet in comparison, for $400 you could go to Best Buy and get the top of the line Siruis receiver that you can unplug from the car and take with you as an MP3 player! For $99 you could go with the unti that you mount on your dash etc. The point is that with installation, the OEM Sirius unit from Mazda can run almost $600, over 3 times what a Sirius unit and install costs on the aftermarket. :huh:

Am I crazy or does this sound crazy?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
cause they can...i personally wouldnever get the built in one...cause then you can only use it in your car

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd consider installing the Sirius radio option but I find it ridiculous that Mazda charges almost $400 just for the equipment. It's not like it even comes with a headunit since equipment plugs into the standard headunit.

Yet in comparison, for $400 you could go to Best Buy and get the top of the line Siruis receiver that you can unplug from the car and take with you as an MP3 player! For $99 you could go with the unti that you mount on your dash etc. The point is that with installation, the OEM Sirius unit from Mazda can run almost $600, over 3 times what a Sirius unit and install costs on the aftermarket. :huh:

[/b]
In Quebec province (not sure if the promo is for all Canada) Mazda gives the satellite system for free and 6 months ( or 12, not sure) subscription for free, when you purchase a new mazda

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i think he's talking the hardware to make it work

·
Registered
53 Posts
In Quebec province (not sure if the promo is for all Canada) Mazda gives the satellite system for free and 6 months ( or 12, not sure) subscription for free, when you purchase a new mazda
[/b]

Which is pretty much useless, because the nazi canadian regime censors half the content on satellite anyway. There is no way on earth I would pay half-a-nickel for sirius' watered-down, god-fearing, sesame-street canadian broadcasts. If you want true satellite radio, you'll have to take the outlaw route and buy a receiver with an american serial number and register with an american billing address (and hope the gestapo doesn't catch you and chop your weiner off for noncompliance).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Which is pretty much useless, because the nazi canadian regime censors half the content on satellite anyway. There is no way on earth I would pay half-a-nickel for sirius' watered-down, god-fearing, sesame-street canadian broadcasts. If you want true satellite radio, you'll have to take the outlaw route and buy a receiver with an american serial number and register with an american billing address (and hope the gestapo doesn't catch you and chop your weiner off for noncompliance).
[/b]
US Sirius has 125 channels, Canada Sirius has 100 (5 of which are Canadian, so let's assume the other 95 are common to the US Sirius distribution)

I don't see how a 25% in number of channels equals to "useless", and I don't see the comparison to a "Nazi" regime.

I posted the current offer so that Mazda6guy can go on Mazda Canada, print the offer, and it'll help in his discussion with the dealer (If they get it for free... why should I pay that much, etc... more chips for bargaining and a strong valid argument to get a rebate)

·
Registered
96 Posts
ya friend of mine just bought a Mazda3. Got the promotion for the radio. Doesn't like the fact you have to plug it into the cigarette lighter adapter and have the wires hanging everywhere.

Told her to buy a 6! 6 comes with the extra adapter in the center console.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm totally with mazda6guy in this. :/ I really wana get satellite radio and I like my stock head unit, but I'd really hate to pay so much money for the unit and then to install it which is even more. Not sure what to do.

·
Registered
20 Posts

[/b]
It's so expensive, because they have to beef up the shocks to handle the massive sirius unit. :D

*wonders if anyone gets the reference*

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
OEM autosound is almost always sold for much more than aftermarket.

I remember the in-dash CD changer Nissan offered for early-mid 1990's cars. It was over $600 for the part in 1997.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's so expensive, because they have to beef up the shocks to handle the massive sirius unit. :D
*wonders if anyone gets the reference*
[/b]
That's another issue. The Sirius unit for Mazda is ridiculously big. where the heck do you have to stash that box?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm totally with mazda6guy in this. :/ I really wana get satellite radio and I like my stock head unit, but I'd really hate to pay so much money for the unit and then to install it which is even more. Not sure what to do.
[/b]
Bought mine off the web, Mazda dealer, for $295.00 and got it installed at Car Toys for $100.00.

I wanted to keep the steering wheel controls and avoid an FM modulated unit.

John :cool:

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Go with the Streamer Replay you can get it in Black or Silver and you can buy a FM wired modulator for $20 and it sounds just as clear as direct to the headunit. PLUS you get a remote and you can rewind 44min of music or talk. I love the one my girl friend has.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I took the plunge and spent the ~$300 to buy the dang part online. :p Me and a friend are going to attempt installing it ourselves. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
YEAH, IT'S EXPENSIVE - BUT I LIKE THE FACTORY INTEGRATION AND THE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS ARE GREAT. I HAD IT INSTALLED BY A LOCAL STEREO SHOP FOR $100. THE UNIT IN THE TRUNK IS INVISIBLE (UNDER THE MOULDINGS). I HAVE FACORTY PRESETS AND IT DISPALYS ON THE RADIO SCREEN. I BOUGHT MINE FROM PARK MAZDA ONLINE FOR $300. WHEN IT COMES TIME TO SELL THE CAR THE FACTORY UNIT WILL PAY FOR ITSSELF.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ya friend of mine just bought a Mazda3. Got the promotion for the radio. Doesn't like the fact you have to plug it into the cigarette lighter adapter and have the wires hanging everywhere.

Told her to buy a 6! 6 comes with the extra adapter in the center console.
[/b]

Doesn't the satellite unit just plug into the back of the radio (I would assume the cd changer port) where it would be powered directly by the radio? And if so why does your friend have to use the cigarette lighter plug? Or is that to power the antenna?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
YEAH, IT'S EXPENSIVE - BUT I LIKE THE FACTORY INTEGRATION AND THE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS ARE GREAT. I HAD IT INSTALLED BY A LOCAL STEREO SHOP FOR $100. THE UNIT IN THE TRUNK IS INVISIBLE (UNDER THE MOULDINGS). I HAVE FACORTY PRESETS AND IT DISPALYS ON THE RADIO SCREEN. I BOUGHT MINE FROM PARK MAZDA ONLINE FOR $300. WHEN IT COMES TIME TO SELL THE CAR THE FACTORY UNIT WILL PAY FOR ITSSELF.
[/b]
Unfortunately, not. A buyer will not give you more because it has Sirius installed. By then, who knows, Sirius could be out of business.

I just ordered my 6 and it comes with 12 months free service. I hope it's a clean install though :sarc:

Good luck!
[/b]
The problem is the damn antenna, which is never clean looking. You can always see the wire coming from the rear windshield, wheras on other cars, the antenna is hidden under a cover which is the same color as the body.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I have not seen a single satellite radio antenna, OEM or otherwise, that does not look like crap.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
19 Participants
Kevin6s
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing