Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people say it isn't true but I still believe RWD cars are simply the worst to have in snow or rain etc. This makes me wonder why the Miata is RWD...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: Why is the Miata RWD?

There is a belief that, all else being equal, RWD handles better the FWD in dry conditions. While that may be the case in some situations, I would argue it has more to do with the power going to the wheels. If you have a smaller car (Think RSX, M6, Mini) which doesn't need 300 HP to the wheels to go fast, therefore toque steer isn't a issue, then FWD can handle just was well. I'm sure it saved my ass on the track 3 weeks ago. Ideally, AWD would be the best, but the weight associated with it can hurt overall performance. Say what you want about FWD, but I can't count how many people with powerful RWD vehicles (Vettes, M3, Vipers etc...) spun off the track in a corner when I was at Texas World Speedway.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

My thoughts exactly! Although they are in two totally different categories, if the Miata were FWD, I'd want it over the 6.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Why is the Miata RWD?'

Originally posted by Gecko_2k2

My thoughts exactly! Although they are in two totally different categories, if the Miata were FWD, I'd want it over the 6.[/b]

If the Miata was FWD, it would have gone out of production long ago.

Gecko_2k2

Though thousands of people use their Miata year round, the Miata isn't about snow and rain. With a full set of winter tires the Miata does just fine in the snow, as long as ground (snow) clearence doesn't come into play. Rain isn't a problem either, good tires have great grip in the rain.

The funny thing is that the Miata people want to know why Mazda didn't make the Mazda6 RWD.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I guess we are all on two opposite sides of the spectrum. :) I suppose I ought to test drive a Miata and just see why everyone loves RWD. Ihope I don't crash. :D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I suppose I ought to test drive a Miata ...[/b]

WARNING! WARNING!

TEST DRIVING A MIATA MAY RESULT IN A SEVERE CASE OF "I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THESE"

You have been warned. :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I know some people say it isn't true but I still believe RWD cars are simply the worst to have in snow or rain etc. This makes me wonder why the Miata is RWD...[/b]
Oh geez, here we go again.

FWD vs. RWD is a long-aged debate.

Instead of asking "Why is the Miata RWD", I ask "Why would you want the Miata to be FWD"?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by applejax

I know some people say it isn't true but I still believe RWD cars are simply the worst to have in snow or rain etc. This makes me wonder why the Miata is RWD...[/b]
Oh geez, here we go again.

FWD vs. RWD is a long-aged debate.

Instead of asking "Why is the Miata RWD", I ask "Why would you want the Miata to be FWD"?[/b][/quote]

BECAUSE I drive a FWD car now and I like the way it handles. I'd rather have the car pull itself forward than push itself forward. I personally think that FWD gives the driver more control. Then again, I suppose the only true solution to this debate is to get an AWD vehicle.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Have you ever driven a Prosche in the snow? Me neither. I have, however, been told by more than one person that they handle impeccibly in the snow. I also think that rear-wheel drive gives you a more positive acceleration feel. Kind of like you're riding on the hood of the car, leaning into the wind rather than being dragged behind it...

Snow driving has always been an issue of giving yourself enough stopping distance, and being careful. It really doesn't matter what you drive. My crown vic drove fine in the snow, if you were careful.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Phrosted

Snow driving has always been an issue of giving yourself enough stopping distance, and being careful.  [/b]
You're making too much sense. I think you should go home now.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I'm sorry, I'll come on back. All cars suck in the snow, and we should all just walk! The human body has a much better collision detection system, and with proper "tires," it also has much better traction. Humans also have much lower fuel consumption than cars do. So that's that, all cars suck in the snow, get out and run! :D

·
Registered
791 Posts

I dunno, I consume a lot of fuel. Last summer I was eating a pound (whole package) of pasta and a can of sauce every night before going to bed... as a snack.

As far as FWD versus RWD- shame on people who would want a FWD Miata!

·
Registered
391 Posts

If mazda miata was FWD, then it wouldn't be the best handling roadster under $30,000.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Maybe the fact that so many people complain about RWD cars' snow capabilities also has to do with the power of these cars. Think about it - most RWD cars today have 250+ horsepower and really, once you get past 300, it doesn't really matter if it's AWD, FWD or RWD - you have enough power to break her loose even by just tapping the gas pedal. As has been said, a nice set of winter tires and some common sense is all you need when driving on snow, regardless of the vehicle.

Don't get me started on stupid, arrogant SUV drivers who think that just because their SUV has AWD, they can drive like a$$holes on snow/ice. The few times it snows down here every winter, I try to just stay home, because these people seriously scare me.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

If the Miata were FWD, it wouldn't be a Miata.[/b]
It would have been the 89-94 Mercury Capri. :D

·
Registered
376 Posts

Originally posted by LBJay

If the Miata were FWD, it wouldn't be a Miata.[/b]
It would have been the 89-94 Mercury Capri. :D [/b][/quote]

-e e ... e e ... wwwwo!

-shut up Beavis!

-i tought i just saw a Mercury Capri ButtHead...

-well, stop looking through a bottle of Coca Cola Beavis...

-e e ... e e ... yeah! :D

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Why is the Miata RWD?'

FWD on a Miata?

The horror...the horror.

Edit: How dumb am I? I meant FWD.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts