Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing this on this forum and haven't been around long enough to pick up on the main reason why people keep referring to the four-cyl car as a "better all around car" than the 6 cyl. I understand that the engine is in some way a more efficient powerplant but in what regard is this achieved? I'd love to hear more about this both regarding just the engine being superior in whatever way, and in terms of the whole car.

thanks,
-Alt

·
Registered
319 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Why is the 6i considered to be more advanced than the s?'

It is really just the engine that most people are talking about. The reason they say the 4 cyl is a more advanced car than the V6 is because the I4 is a 100% all new, clean sheet powerplant. The I4 is all aluminum, and is designed to be a truly world-class powerplant in different applications. It is smooth, light, fuel-efficient, and pretty powerful.

The V6 on the other hand, while a good solid design, is based on the Ford Duratec architecture that has been around for probably close to, what 10 years or so? The Duratec is a very solid motor, however, I believe it is a cast iron block. Also, while it is based on the Ford architecture, it is really more of a Mazda powerplant than a Ford. Mazda developed its own heads (the true innards of the engine) and added swirl valves, variable valve timing, and some other performance enhancements that make the motor much smoother, quieter, and throatier than what you'd find in the Taurus. While the 4 cyl steps up above typical 4 cyl sedan fuel economy, the V6 is your typical 20/27 that you'll find in just about every V6 family sedan save the new Honda Accord V6.

Basically it comes down to the fact the I4 uses the very latest in engine technology in nearly every aspect of the motor, while the V6 is more of an updated take on a proven engine design that has been around for years.

Hope that helps.

As far as the one I'd chose, I'm not sure. I plan to drive both and make my decision then. Many people say the I4 has a wonderful sound, plenty of pull, and makes the car a bit more nimble, which I like. However, there is just something about the way a V6 sounds, and that extra uumph it has that makes it appealing, even if it does make the car slightly more nose heavy. Kinda like the VW motors. I LOVE the 1.8T I4 motor, as it is a superb 4 cylinder engine, however, I KNOW I'd take the VR6 over it any day just because the way that engine rips when the revs climb is so intoxicating I could do it all day long. I'm thinking this may be what the 6 is like, and it'll make my decision harder.

·
Registered
577 Posts

The Duratec V6 is an all aluminum engine as well. The block is cast using the same Cosworth casting process as the 4 cylinder.

I think that if anyone is seriously looking at buying the Mazda6 they need to test drive both models. I plan to do this as soon as my dealer calls me to let me know they have some in stock.

Nikolas

·
Registered
19 Posts

What I have gathered is that the horsepower and tourqe of the I-4 is adequate, while handling is better because the car is more balanced with less weight on the front wheels.

The same was said of the Contour when it arrived in '95. I bought an I-4/5spd. and it is adequate. But, sometimes you just long for the outright acceration of a V-6 in our 70mph. design speed roads.

I'd definately agree that you have to drive both.

·
Registered
21 Posts

It looks like Ford/Mazda is going to get more "mileage" out of the new I4...not referring to fuel mileage eh. They already have it in the Ranger (IIRC); also saw pics yesterday and a little blur saying the next Focus platorm will get the I4, the next Protege or Mazda 3 (which really will get my attention); and there are even rumors that it will make it into the next gen Miata (which will all grab my attention...hopefully without through off the balance or packing on toooo many pounds...should be similar to adding a supercharger to my 1.6L 92 MX5). Mazda is on a roll...the competition is on toast :D

~Nanda

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Right on... thanks friends!

-Alt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts