Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Mazda6 I with manual transmission. During cold starts, my engine cranks for like 3 to 5 seconds before it starts. I live in NJ and temperature is around 40F to 50F. Any solutions?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Check your Battery, Might be going on you
[/b]
If it's cranking, it doesn't sound like the battery. Sounds more like a spark issue, or it could be a fuel delivery issue. How long since a tune-up?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's cranking, it doesn't sound like the battery. Sounds more like a spark issue, or it could be a fuel delivery issue. How long since a tune-up?
[/b]

I have about 56500 miles on my car. I just followed the maintenance schedule and did all the maintenance. Do you think I should replace the spark plugs? I never replaced them before.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Turn the key to 'On' and let the fuel pump initialize first. You'll hear it. After that then turn the key the rest of the way and start the car.

In other words, dont just stick the key in and flick it right to 'Start' immediately.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turn the key to 'On' and let the fuel pump initialize first. You'll hear it. After that then turn the key the rest of the way and start the car.

In other words, dont just stick the key in and flick it right to 'Start' immediately.
[/b]

I know that trick, but how come other cars don't have to do that?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have about 56500 miles on my car. I just followed the maintenance schedule and did all the maintenance. Do you think I should replace the spark plugs? I never replaced them before.
[/b]
At 30k they should have been replaced anyhow.

That fuel pump trick works on older cars. (Like my 82 FB) This doesn't do anything at all for my 6.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Mine started sputtering a bit on cold starts with about 30K on them. New plugs and the sputter was gone... (These were 'shaved' plugs that I put in at about 10K. I'm at about 41K now.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have also had this starting problem. It happens about once in every two weeks. I have also had a problem with cold engine when driving very slow and starting to accelerate. It feels similar like I'm not giving enough throttle and the car is shaking a little bit. Have you guys had this problem? I think I'm going to get the spark plugs changed. I don't know have those been replaced before I bought the car. It has +40000km and when I bought it got ~34000km.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Mazter
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing