Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from an interview on RotaryNews:

What of the effect the Internet and enthusiasts had on the design changes made to the RX-8, from the RX-Evolv.  

(Charlie) Enthusiasts allowed Mazda to be Mazda. They kept working with the concept, as input came in from the Internet, and focus groups, through the folks in R&D, who used the net to keep tabs on current thought. There was so much of a strong interest in the vehicle from the beginning, we knew we had to get it right.[/b]
Mazda listens and responds, and I think it shows. The '6 is just about exactly the car I'd have built if I were designing a midsize.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Reading Topic: Why I like Mazda

I Only had one problem with my Protege5. The cold startup is not exactly pleasant. You have to grind it for a bit and doesn't roar to life. Also the timing is off, if you read many forums, and until the engine is warm you get a pingy clunk noise when accelerating. This of course has not been acknowledged by the factory but it exists nonetheless. I would be interested to see if Mazda listens when it will cost them money instead of make them money. Of course you know me and my (interesting)posts, I love Mazda. However I am perhaps interested in trying a new dealer this time around.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Mazda has acknowledged this and says it is normal. Technically, I don't remember exactly what the terminology is, but it has something to do with valves staying closed to meet lower emissions standards. This only happens when the engine is cold, and happens on purpose.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Stretch that makes sense and seems consistent to what I have heard recently. It's still a bit disconcerting when you hear it. I usually just try to keep RPM's below 2500 which seems to keep it from happening. It took Mazda a long time to acknowledge that it exists however. They wanted to keep it hush-hush as the car was just coming into its own with all the comparison reviews being released in the summer. And again not that it was really a defect per se. When you start your car and start going along it just makes you think, "something's loose" or "the timing is off". It probably doesn't help that the Protege's absolute worst quality is engine and road noise. But damn can you throw that thing into a turn. Getting on 270 I just go full speed into the circle on ramp and I feel like I'm on roller coaster. WHeeeeee!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts