Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my HKS BOV full recirc and it has absolully no sound, its like an N/A car. Which is kinda weird because I heard a guy with a HKS bov full recirc but it has this swishing sound. And why should we do full recirc? I am hearing different sides to this, one says we should do full recirc because that what the stock bov was meant to do, and if you release too much air out, it will mess up the calculations on the MAF sensor and you will be running to lean, thus back firing and so on and so forth, and one side said do VTA so the access air will be VTA and not back in the turbo, so you turbo will last longer.

Which set up should I use?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
You got some of that backwards. If you notice, the MAF is mounted right on the intake, so your engine is expecting all the air that passes over it to make it to the throttle body. If you run VTA, you are now purging air the ECU is expecting to make it to the engine. Thus, you'll have less air going in (because it was purged VTA), but you'll be getting the same amount of fuel for LESS air. So, you'll be running rich, which makes LESS power, and you can backfire from running to rich, and most people do. I hope that makes sense. I would not sacrifice proper fueling, power, and proper afrs for any sound :).

EDIT: Once the air passes the MAF sensor (on the intake), it doesn't make any other calculations. It's a one way flow. It just measures the initial air coming in from your intake, and once it has passed over the MAF, the computer is making fueling calcs. And if you purge some running VTA you get the problems I described.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But how come I once saw a speed 6 full recirc and it still has the swishing sound, would you happen to know how he achieved that?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ur gonna have the sound no matter what. Just with the VTA it is going to be louder. Also the different stanback units have the ability to tune for the VTA so there is no backfire.

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also the different stanback units have the ability to tune for the VTA so there is no backfire.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I don't understand, please elaborate, thank you so much

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
mine is louder than hell in rec.

you could here the diffrence between stock and hks even with the stock air box, sounds like the op has a problem

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
OP - original poster?... lol... dude you have a lot of questions. But I think you have a problem with the way you have your BPV installed or maybe improper vacuum, or somethings a miss. You still havent answered the question, what type of intake you got, but regardless, even with a stock intake, you should be able to hear a swooshing sound.

Running VTA is improper on a MAF set engine management, but with proper tuning you can. Its weird, but it can be done. Running Re-Circulated is much more healthier to your car, and it has less lag (well thats what ppl will tell you), I do however run my car full re-circulate and I have the HKS kit. My shit is loud with the COBB SRI...

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
Also the different stanback units have the ability to tune for the VTA so there is no backfire.
Sorry but I don't understand, please elaborate, thank you so much
Standback is cp-e's engine controller. According to the description on their website, one of its features is it allows you to tune for VTA by using fuel cut.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UNDERSTOOD! THank you sooo much! I have stock intake NOOOOO Standback! So I know now. Thank you

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Sounds like yer the type of guy who just about looses their mind (in a good way) the first time they run through the gear after installing a CAI. So um, yeah, do that, and enjoy...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like yer the type of guy who just about looses their mind (in a good way) the first time they run through the gear after installing a CAI. So um, yeah, do that, and enjoy...

You guess is correct! Man, I have been spending a lot of money on my photography gear and I have been leaving the speed6 alone for quite a while so this summer I promise her a new BOV and Intake, and I am pretty sure I will be going with HKS and COBB SRI

·
Registered
178 Posts
@magiclow
Just wondering if you've checked out the turbosmart dual port valve? I just installed one on my car and it sounds pretty sweet... however it is a little picky with both the VTA and recirc setup... I've been tweaking it to keep it from backfiring. As of this afternoon, I think I've got it set right.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Do you have the right recir piece in? Has a triangle in the middle of it?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@magiclow
Just wondering if you've checked out the turbosmart dual port valve? I just installed one on my car and it sounds pretty sweet... however it is a little picky with both the VTA and recirc setup... I've been tweaking it to keep it from backfiring. As of this afternoon, I think I've got it set right.
I used to have the dual port, as a matter of fact I still have it! Not quite sold yet, I am testing both out to see which one I like best, but I am swaying torwards full recirc on HKS because I Lost the plate for my Dual port, LOL

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you have the right recir piece in? Has a triangle in the middle of it?
No triangle, the recirc piece is like a small trumpet flange thingy that you put the recirc back to intake hose in. Cuz the triangle thingy makes a lazer zapping sound on the hks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts