Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the latest issue of Car and Driver the 07 Altima SE and 07 Sentra 2.0S were reviewed. Both cars were sticks shifts

Here are the comments about each car and the clutch.

Altima SE-" joyless 6-speed, aloof clutch"
The clutch has a unsatisfying effort curve as the pedal comes up, making it harder than it should be to anticipate engagement, and the shifter clunks throught it prominent detents. The Altima is no BMW in this regard; its no Honda either"

Sentra S-" Clutch effort is heavy and numb. The shifter is limp and indifferent"

This is for the 07 new models. Is it that difficult for Nissan engineers make a half decent manual to not get blasted like this in a major car mag?

·
Registered
347 Posts
They probably spend more effort and money on the CVT transmission.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The clutch isn't very good in the '6, either- not even in the Mazdaspeed. My STI's clutch (which should be more aggressive) is much easier to drive. The Miata and RX-8 are much better, just as I'm sure the 350Z's is.

The answer to your question is probably: money.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The clutch isn't very good in the '6, either- not even in the Mazdaspeed. My STI's clutch (which should be more aggressive) is much easier to drive. The Miata and RX-8 are much better, just as I'm sure the 350Z's is.

The answer to your question is probably: money.
[/b]
You beat me to it. I wonder how much the shifter feel would improve with MT-90 in either car?

·
Registered
383 Posts
You beat me to it. I wonder how much the shifter feel would improve with MT-90 in either car?
[/b]
I agree also. I've driven many different MTX vehicles.... neither Mazda or Nissan is near the top in terms of clutch feel.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Nissan engineers spent the majority of the time on building a great V6 and put the clutch and shifter as an afterthough. Just how hard is it to copy another car maker's best features? If you give the Altima SE 3.5 a Honda manual it would be pretty damm good.

·
Registered
86 Posts
even the clutch/tranny whole assembly is no good for the Z - it's notchy, sticks, and lots of people have had to have them replaced multiple times

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think Nissan engineers spent the majority of the time on building a great V6 and put the clutch and shifter as an afterthough. Just how hard is it to copy another car maker's best features? If you give the Altima SE 3.5 a Honda manual it would be pretty damm good.
[/b]
they could buy the whole honduh drivetrain and it'd be pretty good. I wouldn't complain one bit if my 6 had an accord V6/6 speed manual setup :)

**puts on flame suit**

·
Registered
375 Posts
doesnt car and driver have stock in honda.... its funny every test they do if an acura is in it, the acura wins... even if they dog it all the way through.

my fav was a perfomance car shootout for under 25k...
a wrx under 25k
srt4 under 20k
cobolt ss under 25k
saturn ion redline under 25k
acura rsx type s over 25k

the slowest
worst cornering
worst braking car of the gourp wich is also the most expensive (shouldnt even be in the comparo) won cause its car and driver and its a honda

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
doesnt car and driver have stock in honda....
[/b]
Yeah, that's it...

Let's not forget the fact that they just tested the Civic against the Hyundai Elantra, Mazda3, VW Rabbit, Nissan Sentra, and Toyota Corolla. The Civic finished third.

Or the comparison test between the Honda Element, Chevy HHR, Scion xB, and the Chrysler PT Cruiser. The Element was DEAD LAST.

How about Acura's TL finishing forth in an eight-car comparison test, behind the G35, IS350, and 330i?

If ANYBODY is kissing Honda's (and Toyota's, for that matter) ass, it's those dumbasses at CR and their brainwashed readers. Let's give credit where credit is due. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah, that's it...

Let's not forget the fact that they just tested the Civic against the Hyundai Elantra, Mazda3, VW Rabbit, Nissan Sentra, and Toyota Corolla. The Civic finished third.

Or the comparison test between the Honda Element, Chevy HHR, Scion xB, and the Chrysler PT Cruiser. The Element was DEAD LAST.

How about Acura's TL finishing forth in an eight-car comparison test, behind the G35, IS350, and 330i?

If ANYBODY is kissing Honda's (and Toyota's, for that matter) ass, it's those dumbasses at CR and their brainwashed readers. Let's give credit where credit is due. :)
[/b]
Yup. Car and Driver only swings from Bavarian nuts. everyone knows that :laugh:

·
Registered
375 Posts
i dont know about crappy quality
ive had more than 5 nissans with way over 200k and a few of them with way over 300k miles on them
and they were in better running condition than my mazda 6 with only 45k
and they got beat on alot more than the mazda does

but whatever you guys wanna think go for it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts