Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CHMSL (that's Center High Mounted Stop Lamp) on our '15 Touring flashes sometimes. Why? I figured it must be something the previous owner put on for some reason. I've seen this on a very few other vehicles out on the road occasionally. I don't care for it.

Anyone seen something like this, and have suggestions for how to remove or disable it?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
They're leds, no? I'll bet the previous owner had a flasher unit installed. You just have to find it. Try looking under the rear parcel shelf. Look for non-factory looking connections. And zip ties.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Sometimes this is a dealer aftermarket add on that is sold as a safety feature. The control unit is designed to flash the light a couple times when first energized and then hold solid. It honestly is probably safer as the flashing gets one's attention. You'll be looking for some sort of "black box" that is wired online with the chmsl wiring. I would suspect it to be pretty easy to find in that the dealer wants to make money, not do a great job of hiding things. Follow the wiring from the fixture and you'll likely find it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bingo. Small add-on box under the plastic cover surrounding the CHMSL. Luckily (for me) they used bullet connectors rather than crimped butt connectors on the positive wire, so I just pulled that box out of the circuit.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts