Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me preface by saying that this is my first car of which i know next to nothing.

on wednesday, i drove my 2003 mazda 6s about 45 minutes on the highway from my house to a friend's house for a baseball game. i got out of the car for 20 minutes and when i got back, my engine wouldn't start. it sounded like the engine would begin to turn over, but then just stop. my radio, power windows, lights, headlights were all working.

~6 hours later, i try to start the car again. it sounds like it starts to turn over a little more, but then stops again. i get a jump, let it run a little while, then drive back home. fast forward to today. i manage to start the car on the first try, but it sounds like it just barely got there. i'm thinking it's the battery, but i'm not sure, so i drive ~20 miles out to radio shack and buy a multimeter. when i get back, with everything off, i measure 12.8V. according to some other thread i found here, this would seem to say that the battery's ok?? or was it just charged up from driving around?

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
sounds like a bad battery. and testing with a voltmeter will not give you a good indication of how the battery takes the load. if you do as previously suggested, and hit a autozone or checker, they can load test it, and tell you for sure. heck when i use to work at autozone they had a tester they rolled out to the car to check it for you. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool, i'll test it in an hour or so.

what will autozone or pepboys do to test it?

also, i did notice some gunk (dirt?? battery acid??) on the battery terminals when i popped the hood. what should i use to clean this off? paper towel? water?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
what will autozone or pepboys do to test it?[/b]
They can hook a tester up to it, for free, that will determine if the battery is holding a charge or not.

also, i did notice some gunk (dirt?? battery acid??) on the battery terminals when i popped the hood. what should i use to clean this off? paper towel? water?[/b]
Best thing is a wire brush. Should be able to pick that up at the auto parts store too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i took the car to autozone and just as expected, the battery test showed that it was bad. swapping the battery out was no problem, next time just need to remember to write down my radio presets...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
kuya_noel
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing