Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm certain the on/off clutch wasn't done by accident. The engineers must have purposefully designed it so. So can anyone tell me what purpose this short clutch engagement would serve? I know other sports cars have touchy clutches so an explanation would be great from someone who knows their stuff since I don't.

On a sidenote, I'm afraid my MS6 sport is not aging gracefully regardless of how much care I put into it. Squeaks, loose body panels, and flaking paint on the side mirrors in the first few months are making me nervous...

·
Registered
679 Posts
After a few months it's still covered under warranty. Stop complaining and take it in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm certain the on/off clutch wasn't done by accident. The engineers must have purposefully designed it so. So can anyone tell me what purpose this short clutch engagement would serve? I know other sports cars have touchy clutches so an explanation would be great from someone who knows their stuff since I don't.

On a sidenote, I'm afraid my MS6 sport is not aging gracefully regardless of how much care I put into it. Squeaks, loose body panels, and flaking paint on the side mirrors in the first few months are making me nervous...
[/b]
Don't be so certain it was designed that way. Imagine this scenario: trans/clutch guys get clutch working perfectly in test mule, wiring guys decide more room is needed for wires around steering column so steering column is moved 1/4 inch, moving steering column causes clutch pivot to move 1/4 inch, boom, you have a problem that is not the clutch guy's fault. This is how 'WTF' happens in the engineering world. This is a totally hypothetical example, but you get the idea. The difference between a truly quality auto and a mediocre one is often based on control of changes during development.

My May 06 build has much better clutch action, so to Mazda's credit, they realized they had a problem, and fixed it.

What body panels are loose on your MS6?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

[/b]
I think they made it that way for matching revs on downshifts (double clutching and heel and toeing). My old cars were more difficult to hit the right spot and match revs on than the MS6. It's almost like it's made for that. Honestly the cluth doesn't even bother me any longer, you'll get used to it, and I bet come to like it! It's on/off nature is meant for fast shifts, up or down!

:drive:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
argh, i worked in configuration management for a year befor ei came to law school, and just hearing the words "engineering change" makes me cringe. i must've processed 200 or so. the worst.

back on topic, i noticed today that on a very steep hill with somone kissing my bumper, that i released right to the friction point and took off smoothly without thinking about it. guess im finally used to the cluth and comfortable enough for it to be second nature

·
Registered
721 Posts
fast engagement is typical of aftermarket clutches with high clamping force. Especially 4 puck race clutches which are truly on/off. Ours would be similar to a 6 puck street/strip clutch. Most of us are used to full face organic clutches as stockers with smooth engagement but crappy holding power. I can slip this thing no problem now, just took some getting used to, however i will get it adjusted closer to the floor when i bring in the car for service tommorow.

·
Registered
259 Posts
fast engagement is typical of aftermarket clutches with high clamping force. Especially 4 puck race clutches which are truly on/off. Ours would be similar to a 6 puck street/strip clutch. Most of us are used to full face organic clutches as stockers with smooth engagement but crappy holding power. I can slip this thing no problem now, just took some getting used to, however i will get it adjusted closer to the floor when i bring in the car for service tommorow.
[/b]
Pucked race clutches have an on/off feature because of the ceramo/metalic friction material. There is no Marcel Layer in them like organic clutches nor does the friction material have any elasticity so the engagment is going to be on/off. Combine that with the higher intial bite of ceramo/metalic puck faces it gives it an on/off feel.

Organic units that have an on/off feeling have mostly to do with the geometry of the clutch system and the thickness of the marcel. The MS6 is equipped with an organic unit.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Having big feet helps.

I love my clutch - no problems whatsoever.

To all those guys whining about the clutch being non-linear and whatever - get used to it and learn to drive with it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
the clutch was changed sometime in the model year. try an 07 speed6, the clutch is completely and utterly different (eg, "normal") from an earlier 06 speed6.

the claim that a clutch has to be on/off to clamp 280lbft torque is complete BS, proven 100% by mazda's mid-model-year change to the clutch.

and for those of you who "love" your 06 "high clamping on/off clutch", you should never ever try an 07 speed6, you will absolutely hate it. in fact in the 07 speed6, mazda has "ruined" the on/off clutch you love so much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
the clutch was changed sometime in the model year. try an 07 speed6, the clutch is completely and utterly different (eg, "normal") from an earlier 06 speed6.[/b]
What was actually changed? Linkage, clutch material, whatever?? Is it a known fact that clutch was redesigned or just speculation based on driving different vehicles?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Don't be so certain it was designed that way. Imagine this scenario: trans/clutch guys get clutch working perfectly in test mule, wiring guys decide more room is needed for wires around steering column so steering column is moved 1/4 inch, moving steering column causes clutch pivot to move 1/4 inch, boom, you have a problem that is not the clutch guy's fault. This is how 'WTF' happens in the engineering world. This is a totally hypothetical example, but you get the idea. The difference between a truly quality auto and a mediocre one is often based on control of changes during development.

My May 06 build has much better clutch action, so to Mazda's credit, they realized they had a problem, and fixed it.

What body panels are loose on your MS6?
[/b]
I'm in the trade. And that's actually a pretty good description of what happens.

Hydraulics says, 'Forrest, we moved our lines group to here because engine and cooling moved their group here, so you're gonna have to move u're harnesses somewhere else...'

I say, 'WTF man, my groups have already been released, why didn't you tell me this shit 6 months ago when you first heard about it?'

They say, 'Sorry man, I forgot......'

I say, 'Don't worry about it, I'll take care of it.'

In the back of my mind I'm thinking, 'If I ever seee you on the street, I'm f&*$(*ng your Sh(t up dude!!!'

·
Registered
595 Posts
What was actually changed? Linkage, clutch material, whatever?? Is it a known fact that clutch was redesigned or just speculation based on driving different vehicles?
[/b]

he has no proof.....just speculation from driving a couple cars. But the way he says it sounds like a fact doesnt it? I love the internet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
[/b]
i'm waiting for a response back from mazda usa regarding exactly what they changed in the clutch mechanism, and possibly an exact build date where the changeover occurred.

the responses blowing off the clutch issue as "learn to drive" sounds exactly like the responses regarding the powerloss issue, which mazda ended up issuing a TSB for... so i guess some people in these forums still havent learned anything.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys, thanks for the informative responses. i wish there was a mazda engineer they had onboard here so they could give us MS6 enthusiasts some straight answers. so i'm not clear on what the consensus is.. a development issue or just as designed sport clutch?

my thinking has the development as the issue now because the car is supposed to be an understated grand touring sedan, not your ralley car or drag racer. the fact that late '06 models are linear indicates this as i'm sure they didn't change out the clutch to a different type last minute with suppliers needing time.

so my side skirts are creaking as i get out as my legs contact them. oh, and my driver seat is squeaking on acceleration 1-3 gear. i already have an appointment scheduled for next week at Redlands, CA mazda. (If you know any other dealer in the SoCal area that you recommend please PM me)

Once again, THANKS for all the awesome input and opinions, even if all we can really do is speculate on this forum.

** Thanks Bani for going directly to the source, look forward to hearing what they have to say...

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's a "love it or hate it" clutch granted.

Still a million times better than my old Saginaw 3 spd. I think that tranny and clutch combo could be the reason they created aftermarket parts :D

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Not that i dont love my car, or that I am willing to put up with some crap given the price I paid, but I have worries now with long term durability, squeeks and rattles are not gonna be fun, and while i like my clutch as is, i would not complain about a LITTLE easier engaegment....

·
Registered
30 Posts
not really, just buy a late 06 or 07 speed6.
[/b]
What is considered a "Late 06?" Mine was built in March 06. I have had no problems with my clutch, seems on/off, but no problems...My only issue initially was the late grab and somewhat numb feel to it (i.e. it grabs late but you can't tell when its staring to engage, although admittedly I don't really think about it anymore after 800 miles).

·
Registered
177 Posts
i have a mazda 6 and a mazda rx-7. the clutch in the rx-7 is ALOT easier to modulate. i get back in my 6 and i have trouble driving it for a few miles. i get the hang of it, but its not the easiest car to drive.

but thats not to say i dont adore my 6!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts