Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that you loose so much power from the crankcase to the wheels on the Mazda 6? Its loosing more than 20% of its HP. There was a guy in here that dynoed his V6 with Manual Transmission Mazda 6 and put down 176WHP when the engine has 220BHP, Thats a 48HP loss. Does it have to do with the clutch used on the Mazda 6?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reading Topic: WHP on the Mazda 6

I think we need to reserve judgement until more people dyno their cars.
We can't base much on a couple of cars.

On one of the dyno runs there HP seemed to be down in regard to the typical 15% HP loss with manual trans, however, the torque number was very high. But, we need more runs and more cars tested in the same manner in the same gear.

20% would be too much loss for a FWD manual for sure
If that looks like it's typical and the norm, then we can start to ask questions to the proper
people, namely Mazda. Till then, we need more testing and time considering how slow the V6 manuals are coming.

Tome

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I would say to keep your eye on DuratecPerformance. He'll probably wind up with alot of research data.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'WHP on the Mazda 6'

Is any of the mods used on Ed Bergenholtz Mazda 6 drag car available or going to be availble for the Mazda 6? He has the Mazda 6S right?

·
Registered
219 Posts

A swedish motor show(Motorjournalen) dynoed the 2,3 liter engine with manual transmission to 159 hp... Could that be possible?

·
Registered
350 Posts

Originally posted by Outsider

A swedish motor show(Motorjournalen) dynoed the 2,3 liter engine with manual transmission to 159 hp... Could that be possible?[/b]
I read that too, only 7 hp loss in drivetrain is very good and indicates that the motor have more than 166 hp (approx. 175 hp).

I'm going to get my car Tuesday or Wednesday with the 2.3 so I hope it is 175 hp :p

·
Registered
526 Posts

Comparing different cars on different dynos is like apples and oranges.

Each car's dyno chart is truly only a good comparison when they're from the same dyno. Too many variables machine to machine & operator to operator.

Plus, you don't know what the motor actually puts out at the crank, so driveline loss is a guess at best.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by babysix

Is any of the mods used on  Ed Bergenholtz Mazda 6 drag car available or going to be availble for the Mazda 6? [/b]
Yea.... the Mazda/Mazdaspeed decals.

·
Registered
350 Posts

Junkan: Is that blue beauty yours??!! *drool*[/b]
If the spoiler package had costed 10000SEK it would have looked like that but now it's a 2.3L Sport hatch pacific blue coming whithout spoilers :( , I'll pick it up tomorrow :p

·
Registered
219 Posts

Originally posted by junkan

Junkan: Is that blue beauty yours??!! *drool*[/b]
If the spoiler package had costed 10000SEK it would have looked like that but now it's a 2.3L Sport hatch pacific blue coming whithout spoilers :( , I'll pick it up tomorrow :p [/b][/quote]

It's really sad that it's so damn expensive her in Sweden. Our silver hatch had looked much better with it... :-( Have u considered a sports grille? I'm quite tempted! :D

I'm waiting for some pics of your beauty later... :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Does anyone know what mods is Ed Bergonholtz has on his Drag 6?

·
Registered
32 Posts

Average cars Lose 25-30HP for a 5speed tranny and 5+ more on Auto.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

Why is it that you loose so much power from the crankcase to the wheels on the Mazda 6?  Its loosing more than 20% of its HP.  There was a guy in here that dynoed his V6 with Manual Transmission Mazda 6 and put down 176WHP when the engine has 220BHP,  Thats a 48HP loss.  Does it have to do with the clutch used on the Mazda 6?[/b]
HAHAHA, silly babysix! Do your math, 220 - 20% = 176 hp! Ok, so the 6 has a 21.8% loss, thats not that bad!

·
Registered
315 Posts

Actually, it IS bad on a manual trans.
It would be fine for an automatic but not for a manual trans.

Has anyone gone to sythetic trans fluid in the manual?

Tome

·
Registered
577 Posts

The only way to be 100% certain when comparing two cars dyno numbers is to do the dynos on the same machine on the same day.... if you compare two different cars done on two different dynos, it is good for discussion (maybe) but not for any valid comparison....

Ed Bergenholtz is using the 2.3L engine.. However, they have destroked the engine and then I think they bored it out even more so that it is around 2200cc. It is of course using forged pistons, rods, and a crank...and it is running on Methanol..... It is far from being a street engine.

The 2.3L engine will respond VERY well to a new set of longer duration/slightly higher lift cams, as well as a long tube header with a less restrictive exhaust system. We are still waiting to get one in our shop for testing....

Nikolas

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: WHP on the Mazda 6

DP, instead of waiting for a 2.3l '6, why not just move your shop to DC and work on mine?

=)

·
Registered
70 Posts

Does anyone know what mods is Ed Bergonholtz has on his Drag 6?[/b]
The only thing I know about Bergenholtz's 6 is that it uses the 2.3L four... turbocharged of course. I haven't really seen too much about his car. Although I haven't looked that hard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts