Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will. I haven't been to the movies in years, but I'll go to see this.

I feel like I should, since I work at Cleveland Air Traffic Control Center and from what I've heard, they mention Cleveland quite a bit in the movie, although none of the filming was actually done here. It's gonna be hard to watch, I can't lie, but I almost feel obligated to go see it. Should be a very emotional film though. It's good that we remember what happened to all those people, even if we really don't know what happened inside that aircraft.

Who else will go?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I won't.

It will be highly fictionalized, just like all Hollywood films "based on actual events". And too much like an exploitation film, IMO.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will definitely go and see it. I am not sure if most of America is ready to see that on screen, but I think it's important to remember too. Plus, I think a lot of people really don't realize - and really choose not to realize - exactly what those people went through. I mean talk about terror and then to die the way they did. Of course, I expect a lot of it will be dramatized for the screen but the bottom line will be loud and clear. Anyway, I'm there.

·
Registered
337 Posts
They had a movie like this one on I think USA Channel a few months back. Probably same idea excpet this one probably has better acting and special effects.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
agree with modcon. examples:

The Perfect Storm - once their antenna went out, im 100% sure they were dead at that point and didn't surf a 100+ foot wave :|
Wolf Creek - if you haven't seen it, then i wont spoil anything but its impossible to make a movie out of that without making up the majority of it. nothing wrong with that, but it was just pathetically written and made too.
Mothman Prophecies - wtf?

etc etc...

i have no interest in this movie though. im not saying its a bad thing that it was made, but this sure as hell isnt for me. im sure Faux News will say something along the lines of "Excellent movie that we should never forget! If you dont see this movie, you're not an american!" :sarc:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehe, you gotta learn to suspend your sense of reality a bit man :D

I thought perfect storm was good except for Clooney's lame ass acting. Good action and special effects, and the story wasn't THAT unbelievable. Hollywood-ized, yeah, but not that bad.

Mothman Proficies, I fucking loved that movie. True, not, believable, shrug? I thought it kicked ass, I was gripped the whole time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i'm going to have to agree with modcon and business on this one.

i won't see it because i can't handle it but just because i don't want to see what hollywood is going to do to such a meaningful event in our lives.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I will not see it either. This will just exploit a set of events and likely blow them even more out of proportion.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Not I. Didn't a made-for-TV movie/show already cover the same thing?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
i'm going to have to agree with modcon and business on this one.

i won't see it because i can't handle it but just because i don't want to see what hollywood is going to do to such a meaningful event in our lives.
[/b]
What will Hollywood do?

There will be at least one wimp among the passengers (and he will be a fictionalized character since they won't dare portray a real person as a wimp.)
The majority of the passengers will be portrayed heroically and/or stoically after the initial 'panic' scene.
The hijackers will be portrayed as just short of Satanic in their evil - making them caricatures rather than believable characters.
And there will be at least one character that is a composite of several individuals on the flight to keep it from getting too confusing for the movie going public.

Oh yeah - except for the very small percentage of dialogue taken from available exisiting tapes, most of it placed where it will have the most dramatic/emotional impact rather when it actually occurred, it will all be made up by some writer who doesn't give a rat's ass about what really happened but needs to make it as exciting as possible, while not insulting anyone's relatives.

I would be very happy to be proven wrong on most of these suppositions, but expect to be fairly close on all of them. But as I've said - I will not find out first hand.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What will Hollywood do?

There will be at least one wimp among the passengers (and he will be a fictionalized character since they won't dare portray a real person as a wimp.)
The majority of the passengers will be portrayed heroically and/or stoically after the initial 'panic' scene.
The hijackers will be portrayed as just short of Satanic in their evil - making them caricatures rather than believable characters.
And there will be at least one character that is a composite of several individuals on the flight to keep it from getting too confusing for the movie going public.

Oh yeah - except for the very small percentage of dialogue taken from available exisiting tapes, most of it palced where it will have the most dramatic/emotional impact rather when it actually occurred, it will all be made up by some writer who doesn't give a rat's ass about what really happened but needs to make it as exciting as possible, while not insulting anyone's relatives.

I would be very happy to be proven wrong on most of these suppositions, but expect to be fairly close on all of them. But as I've said - I will not find out first hand.
[/b]
that sounds about right

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I never go see a movie in the theaters unless its a huge blockbuster, so its unlikely I'll see it. But I don't know that it will necessarily be out of control. That thing on USA or I think it was actually A&E where they recounted the event using what they knew was pretty good. The part about them rushing the cabin, A&E fully admitted to speculating. But so what?

Anyone know where the profits are going?

Regarding this though:

I am not sure if most of America is ready to see that on screen
[/b]
I don't agree with that. It reminds me of Secretary Heller's lameass excuse on 24 this week. America can handle anything, tragedy or scandal. Times like those test our nation and time and again we've able to come out on top. This is no different. The country is never not ready for anything.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
it will be a VERY controversial movie. you will more than likely either love it or hate it. i haven't decided if i will see it or not. i know i won't pay to see it in the theatre's, but if it's playing at someone's house later on, i will probably sit down and watch it. i don't actively watch movies in the theatre.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
all i know is that they took down the plane by force, i dont know how much more heroic you could make that seem.

those people were very fucking brave. if a hollywood writer glorifies them, so be it. because if those people didnt take that plane down, the white house would probably be being rebuilt right now. plus hundreds of others were saved.

i dont have a car, i cant get to the movies, so i wont be able to see it, plus, i dont like super sad glory movies, i get a little too emotional.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I will see it sooner or later but am not eagerly awaiting to see it. I would much rather watch a two hour documentary on United 93 than the actual movie.

What I am eagerly awaiting for is The Da Vinci Code and X-Men: The Last Stand.

·
Registered
490 Posts
all i know is that they took down the plane by force, i dont know how much more heroic you could make that seem.
those people were very fucking brave. if a hollywood writer glorifies them, so be it. because if those people didnt take that plane down, the white house would probably be being rebuilt right now. plus hundreds of others were saved.

i dont have a car, i cant get to the movies, so i wont be able to see it, plus, i dont like super sad glory movies, i get a little too emotional.
[/b]
Thank You for a Sane statement. This is NOT about whether one agrees we are at war or about politics.
It IS about a handful of People whom saw further than thier Latte` or the cost of gas. And if HOLLYWOOD actually did something worthy on this, without making the HIJack characters look like the innocent bad guys, then credit must be given for what it is meant for.
:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I have no desire to see this movie. I'd rather not watch what will probably a fictionalized account of an actual event. We don't know exactly what happened on the plane and therefore don't see myself watching this movie. I would expect something like Modcon suggested.

Not to mention that in my mind it's way too soon. This wasn't even 5 years ago.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I agree that a share of the profits should go somewhere meaningful. I found the TV movie that was on recently very disturbing. It's a reality that many of us may not be able to bear.

They have one of the recorders. They pretty much know what happened. If nothing else it will keep it fresh in our minds what happened and why we should still be united as a country in being pissed off about it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
19 Participants
Modcon
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing