Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who does one off custom builds but could make us an FMIC if you guys are interested. I'd imagine the price would be in the $700 to $900 range as a guesstimate. I'll try and meet up with him this week and show him the car to get a better feel for price.

Mike

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd say pretty much everyone, just my personal estimate, is looking for a front mount. Obviously we'd like to see pics and details about it especially if it's some random person making FMIC's, no offense to ur friend we just don't know him or his work....

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'd say pretty much everyone, just my personal estimate, is looking for a front mount. Obviously we'd like to see pics and details about it especially if it's some random person making FMIC's, no offense to ur friend we just don't know him or his work....
[/b]
Agreed-- Why aren't you stepping up for your MS6?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'll have him prototype it on mine but it's my wife's daily driver. I just wanted something that got decent gas mileage for her that wasn't slow. To be honest my Excursion is faster...
Mike
[/b]
haha, but it's a domestic and therefore will probably break down soon: Ford: Fix Or Repair Daily .... just messin' around cause u are on a mazda forum

·
Registered
756 Posts
haha, but it's a domestic and therefore will probably break down soon: Ford: Fix Or Repair Daily .... just messin' around cause u are on a mazda forum
[/b]
you do know the mazda is part of ford???

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
[/b]
that doesnt make driving a ford right...
Found On Road Dead

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
that doesnt make driving a ford right...
Found On Road Dead
[/b]
Additionally, the speed 6 is Japanese made. Hiroshima!

·
Registered
583 Posts
i get better gas mileage though. ha. the economical choice wins again.

fmic = not me. i cannot void my warranty. fmic will mess with too many things. or am i wrong?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get 16 in town and 22 highway out of the big pig plus I can tow 4 speed 6's on a trailer if need be...
:)
At 6'4" 300lbs and a family of 5 with a dog that weighs 180lbs the Excursion is a necessity. The speed 6 is for the little woman to enjoy, she got tired of the wheel spin at 60MPH in the SRT-4.
Mike

·
Registered
477 Posts
Looks like quality work. I like the hooker too :)

How much power can really be gained adding an FMIC on the stock turbo. The extra plumbing and core size will add lag = less torque in the low rpm.

Once some bigger turbo solutions present themselves, and FMIC will compliment it nicely.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Looks like quality work. I like the hooker too :)

How much power can really be gained adding an FMIC on the stock turbo. The extra plumbing and core size will add lag = less torque in the low rpm.

Once some bigger turbo solutions present themselves, and FMIC will compliment it nicely.
[/b]
Always a good question but I am interested in the FMIC just to lose the heat soak issues my car and many others seem to suffer from. I hate the fact that I never know what kind of performance my car is going to give me at the stop light. If I could get a small FMIC and make my engine much more consistent then I would pay for that.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm thinking about doing it this way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/liquid-Wate...1QQcmdZViewItem

1.)Put the W -> A IC in the stock location, Keep the stock IC air guide so that the vents "double cool" the IC.
2.)Put the condensor down where the FMIC would go.
3.) Profit!

Just need to by some plumbing, a cheap reservoir a pump and heat exchanger. Should come in right around $700 bucks give or take.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
[/b]

Actually, Ford is more of a part of Mazda since 2004 when Mazda bought 67% of their company.

Also, the speed 6 is built in Korea, not Japan as with most Mazdas.

F*cked Over Rebuilt Dodge

·
Registered
193 Posts
Actually, Ford is more of a part of Mazda since 2004 when Mazda bought 67% of their company.

[/b]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda

Ford owns a controlling intrest in Mazda, which by Japanese law is 33.4%

Speed 6 is built in Hiroshima, Japan. US 6s and 6i are built at the Auto Alliance plant in Flat Rock, MI. About 20 miles from my house.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

[/b]
Nope, speed 6's are built in Japan. They either come from Hiroshima or Hofu. I used to work for Mazda, I heard this all the time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm thinking about doing it this way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/liquid-Wate...1QQcmdZViewItem

1.)Put the W -> A IC in the stock location, Keep the stock IC air guide so that the vents "double cool" the IC.
2.)Put the condensor down where the FMIC would go.
3.) Profit!

Just need to by some plumbing, a cheap reservoir a pump and heat exchanger. Should come in right around $700 bucks give or take.
[/b]
Not bad but I wonder if there would be clearance issues? The stock IC looks to be about 2 inches thick, that bad boy is 4+ But it is a step in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
14 Participants
nickdina
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing