Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I understand it correctly both of these can offer a wider powerband than the standard turbo, with VVT having a larger effect. Personally I'd like to see a turbo upgrade that offers something on the top end AND more power at 2K. I want the car to be more responsive in daily driving such as when you're in city traffic at 27mph and a hole opens in the next lane, _and_ have headroom above stock.
I believe VW/Audi uses a dual-scroll turbo on their 2.0, which is why that engine has more torque at low rpm than we do.
i. Any turbo experts care to comment?
ii. Who is interested in a turbo upgrade targeted at a broad tq curve and fast response more than peak hp, using VVT or dual-scroll or xx feature. I can live with a 450 or 400 hp ceiling if tq can approach 400 lb/ft over a 2.5-3K rpm range.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Be patient young lad. The doctor is writing the perscibtion as we speak.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'll leak a little if I get a phone call I'm waiting on. For now, I'll just say it has one of the largest efficiency maps in the industry to date, and it's capable of +500hp. Spools very fast, holds boost for a long time, and doesn't get too hot until you're pushing around 33psi. It is a very new concept to turbochargers from a very reputable company.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'll leak a little if I get a phone call I'm waiting on. For now, I'll just say it has one of the largest efficiency maps in the industry to date, and it's capable of +500hp. Spools very fast, holds boost for a long time, and doesn't get too hot until you're pushing around 33psi. It is a very new concept to turbochargers from a very reputable company.[/b]
Does the whole 'sounds too good to be true' apply here? I suppose I'll wait patiently... :drool:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Does the whole 'sounds too good to be true' apply here? I suppose I'll wait patiently... :drool:[/b]
I think I know what you're talkign about?

I thought that place was done making those things.....are we talking about the turbo that's bascially a jet engine?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
You don't even know the half of it. Did I mention it will bolt up to the stock exhaust manifold AND stock downpipe, so it "should" work with the CP-E downpipe as well. I hope so cause that's what I have.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Subscribed with caution...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'll leak a little if I get a phone call I'm waiting on. For now, I'll just say it has one of the largest efficiency maps in the industry to date, and it's capable of +500hp. Spools very fast, holds boost for a long time, and doesn't get too hot until you're pushing around 33psi. It is a very new concept to turbochargers from a very reputable company.[/b]
Sounds like $$$$ but if it helps improve throttle response (ie. less lag) with better bottom end and top end, I'll start saving the pennies now. But I don't plan to upgrade until closer to the end of warranty, probably in about 2.5 years. That should give lots of time to save.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Is this the CP-E turbo upgrade you're talking about?

·
Registered
80 Posts
You don't even know the half of it. Did I mention it will bolt up to the stock exhaust manifold AND stock downpipe, so it "should" work with the CP-E downpipe as well. I hope so cause that's what I have.[/b]
I'm guessing Borg Warner with a VTG turbo....which would be sweet if true.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
On the right track. Specifics won't be for a coulple weeks, but I will say that it is expected to be alot less expensive than the atp option at this point. I will get a far better idea of everything after I take vacation to go see the people I need to.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
What's with all of the secrets?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts