Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this would be a good place for people to express who they are and why they like the 6.

One reason is, because I'm starting to second guess wanting this car. It happened when the salesman mentioned "Yeah, it's a bigger car than you're used to. So it handles different and visibility is lower." He didn't seem too into it haha. Then it hit me. This is a family car. Like the one my mom drives. Designed for lugging around children perhaps.

Here's me. I'm 26. Single. No kids no girl no clients no nothing but a guitar. Bachelor's degree, got a new sales job and trying to be an adult and move up through the company. Trying to come off as responsible and growing up, yet young, sexy, classy, and professional. The 6 seemed to have all of that appearance, like the Audi. Classy, refined, mature, yet youthful and aggressive.

But is this too much car for me? I'm now starting to think I will look stupid driving this thing around, maneuvering into my parking spot, compared to my compact Honda Civic. Perhaps I am more suited for a Mazda 3. Yet, that thing is tiny and not handsome like the 6. Again, I have no family. Nor do I drive much haha. I just want something that can impress the ladies and maybe intimidate them a tad and make me feel good about picking up a girl. Also, I'm 6 foot 4, which is why I wanted a bigger car than my Civic. The 6 feels good. Yet, doesn't feel bigger on the inside. Just feels like I'm lugging more car around. I don't wanna feel stupid for spending $500/month after insurance for this..

So how does the 6 fit you and your life?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm a 19 year old student. I got the 3rd Gen Mazda6 because it's:
-Affordable (the sport model, at $252/month)
-Safe in an accident
-Great gas mileage
-Nice amount of space
-Nice road trip car (minus road noise, not a big deal)
-Japanese, so you can get accessories
-Decent for car insurance
-Nice amount of horsepower
-Aggressive styling! No other cars around the $250 range are this aggressive.

Overall, even if I was in the budget range of $325/month I'd still purchase this car. It's fun to have a unique car, with great handling, even if it is a big car. If it was a hatchback it'd be preferable, but it's not a big deal. The only other car I want at this point is a Subaru WRX hatch, which would be murder financially, on both insurance and payment.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm a 19 year old student. I got the 3rd Gen Mazda6 because it's:
-Affordable (the sport model, at $252/month)
-Safe in an accident
-Great gas mileage
-Nice amount of space
-Nice road trip car (minus road noise, not a big deal)
-Japanese, so you can get accessories
-Decent for car insurance
-Nice amount of horsepower
-Aggressive styling! No other cars around the $250 range are this aggressive.

Overall, even if I was in the budget range of $325/month I'd still purchase this car. It's fun to have a unique car, with great handling, even if it is a big car. If it was a hatchback it'd be preferable, but it's not a big deal. The only other car I want at this point is a Subaru WRX hatch, which would be murder financially, on both insurance and payment.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. Except I am 26 with 2 little ones. They fit carseats very well. Safe. Tons of trunk. Great on gas, I get nearly 450 to a tank, and I have quite a heavy foot. I get alot of head turns because i've debadged mine.

Also, these are my car seats for my little ones.. Pretty badass IMO...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thought this would be a good place for people to express who they are and why they like the 6.

One reason is, because I'm starting to second guess wanting this car. It happened when the salesman mentioned "Yeah, it's a bigger car than you're used to. So it handles different and visibility is lower." He didn't seem too into it haha. Then it hit me. This is a family car. Like the one my mom drives. Designed for lugging around children perhaps.

Here's me. I'm 26. Single. No kids no girl no clients no nothing but a guitar. Bachelor's degree, got a new sales job and trying to be an adult and move up through the company. Trying to come off as responsible and growing up, yet young, sexy, classy, and professional. The 6 seemed to have all of that appearance, like the Audi. Classy, refined, mature, yet youthful and aggressive.

But is this too much car for me? I'm now starting to think I will look stupid driving this thing around, maneuvering into my parking spot, compared to my compact Honda Civic. Perhaps I am more suited for a Mazda 3. Yet, that thing is tiny and not handsome like the 6. Again, I have no family. Nor do I drive much haha. I just want something that can impress the ladies and maybe intimidate them a tad and make me feel good about picking up a girl. Also, I'm 6 foot 4, which is why I wanted a bigger car than my Civic. The 6 feels good. Yet, doesn't feel bigger on the inside. Just feels like I'm lugging more car around. I don't wanna feel stupid for spending $500/month after insurance for this..

So how does the 6 fit you and your life?
We have like the same life story except I'm 26 with no kids, no girl going to school full time and my two (sheltie) dogs. I got the 6 because I previously owned a 2004 Mazda 6 and it was my love (Maybe it was cause of the V6 engine). Anyways, bought the 6 GT (I only buy fully loaded because if I'm going to go in debt might as well get all the bells and whistles) and saddled up for the ride. My car paid off now so now I just pay insurance (Geico).

I will admit though, once I saw the new Mazda 3 I was (--) that close to trading down for a five door. Main thing is if you are planning on having a family the car is roomy. However, if you plan on being single for a while and are trying to impress the women then maybe you should (I know cliche) lease or buy a BMW 2 series or 4 series or the new Mercedes. My car gets looks, and I impress people when they ask what kind of car it is and I say "Mazda" with a big :D but the ladies are like oh Mazda. :mellow:.

If you trying to impress the ladies get a Fiat 500 Gucci edition. Now that car screams (P) getter!

Hope I helped. :cool:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm 21, single.. I really love the way the Mazda6 looks and handles. I'm a Mazda fan, I enjoy how they drive. I don't think the 3 is a good fit for me either, I had one prior. I had a 2012 Mazda6 V6 but when I saw the 2014 I knew Mazda had a knockout on their hands, and I had to be in one!

·
Registered
926 Posts
i am 22 and starting my career, asian, no kids, single. I always wanted a mustang, but i know insurance will not play nice, and it was the last model year before it got the refresh. (dont want to get one just to have a new model come out). The focus and impreza i looked at, but they had short comings. reasons i decided on the 6:

once in a while I need to drive my parents around, and I want comfort for them, plus future needs if I end up married and kids. I plan to keep it till i drive it to the ground

It has good power and great gas mileage, and it has one of the best drive train package around, practical, looks awesome, and not expensive in the mid 20k price range.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i am 22 and starting my career, asian, no kids, single. I always wanted a mustang, but i know insurance will not play nice, and it was the last model year before it got the refresh. (dont want to get one just to have a new model come out). The focus and impreza i looked at, but they had short comings. reasons i decided on the 6:

once in a while I need to drive my parents around, and I want comfort for them, plus future needs if I end up married and kids. I plan to keep it till i drive it to the ground

It has good power and great gas mileage, and it has one of the best drive train package around, practical, looks awesome, and not expensive in the mid 20k price range.
lmao.. Why did you mention you were asian? I got a laugh out of that one for some reason idk

351 Posts
I'm 29. 5"11. Married. No kids yet. Upper middle class.

OP, listen up!!!

1. Most attractive affordable car out there. CarandDriver quote: "Maserati wishes it had a sedan this beautiful in its line up"
2. about 30k units sold annually in US - so it's exclusive
3. proper size for spreading legs and elbows in your driver's seat, as a Mazda 3 class car is narrower
4. Finally, sedan is a very mature and sophisticated thing. Notice that government cars in all countries are sedans, either Mazda 6 size - Mercedes E, BMW5, Audi 6, or, obviously larger sedans such as S-class or 7 series.

So, to impress ladies with your maturity and sophistication, yet to remain somewhat on a playful side it's got to be a Mazda 6, Accord is relatively close second, but there are TONS of them out there. Altimas and Camrys - forget about them.

P.S. get the Grand Touring in reflex blue with tan seats - and you'll be unique yet in an understated way. Notice that 98% cars on the road are: white, black, silver, graphite.

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts

[/QUOTE]

These seats are awesome!!!

Anywho. I am 25, male in a relationship but not married and no kids. I chose the new 6 coming from 2005 6i which i loved very much. Once i saw the new six and had 3 test drives under my belt, it was as good as sold. Its hella roomy (im 6'3) and all the trunk space. Its also great on gas even with my lead foot and has a super aggressive look and capability of mods and upgrades to come. Owning the six also lets me belong to this awesome forum of folks who are nice enough to help the newbies yet talk technical when its time. This would be a huge upgrade from your civic and trust me, the ladies will be intrigued if you yourself are as suave and sexy as the car is. . . No ****.

Sent via skid marks -/(zoomzoom)\-

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'm probably one of the oldest here at 47, a DHS Nurse for the County of Los Angeles, divorced, no kids, my Chinese gf who is also a nurse, is into cars too (co-owner of auto dealership and restauranteur, has car auction license, rides a motorcycle and is a stick shift driver, just like me)..and here I am back to my driving roots, with a manual trans (I love cars and grew up, modified around with it, with a huge gratitude to a very car loving Father..God Bless His Heart) and Mazda is but the few remaining mass manufacturers that still promotes manual transmissions on their models.

As my handle suggest, I came out from a 1.8T Passat and as I understand cars (my HS elective back in the Old Country, "Automotive") I held on to it for so long and had it driven it to the ground (along with it, the "automatic habit"). This Mazda6 has the Best of All Worlds I am looking for in a car. Sporty handling (the 19s', taut suspension for a "family midsize" yet ride is surprisingly comfortable), great looks (swoopy fastback roofline, "RWD looking" side profile), the uniqueness/exclusivity/rarity (you don't see yourself at every corner, you know you're not from the "Me Too", "Keeping Up With The Joneses", "Camcordtima" zombie/Borg crowd), reliable (no doubt, coming/compared from German car ownership mindset, a parent "hand me down"), economical on gas (the Mazda 6 is a sport sedan, disguised as an economy car) and mostly, fun-to-drive (need not elaborate, you guys/gals has heard enough of me I guess :lol:).

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts

Those. Are the single greatest things I've seen in months......

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm a 23 year old single male. I would say that I am well employed, and having a good car these days is almost a necessity in my eyes to move up in the business world (I work at an automotive supplier). The Mazda6 is far and away the best looking car in its class. I am unable to get into a smaller class of car due to my 6'8" frame. That being the case, I was left looking at Camry, Accord, Sonata, and Mazda6. The Mazda was the only one I was able to find locally even offering a manual option so it was not a hard decision on that front either. As an aside, family sedans are pretty cookie cutter in appearance and generally not easy to modify to look any better. Threw tints, black vinyl roof, and HIDs in the Touring trim and it is instantly a sexy young person sedan IMO. See image.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm 23, single, and the ladies love my car. I'm also the youngest person at my office with the nicest ride, which grabs my coworkers attention. I debadged mine, and I keep it very clean. No one knows what it is, and I get compliments on it often.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
26 married, 2 kids (2 and 4), and an optician working with an ophthalmologist. Why the 6? Initially - Fuel economy and styling. I came from a 2001 Firebird Formula and was no where near ready to give up my sleek looks and performance. I looked at the Civic SI, Accord, and Kia Optima and was severely disappointed with each for various reason (SI was nice, economy sucked. Accord.. CVT nuff said. Optima.. it's a Kia...) Enter the Mazda6.. I just happened to remember seeing the Takeri concept and thinking.. I wonder if that car is done yet. Sure enough, they had one sitting at the local dealership in MT. One drive was all it took, none of the other cars even came close in comfort, sport, or style. I bought an auto since it was to be the family car and my wife can't drive a manual and it was an option, but that was the only compromise made with this car for me. It ticked all the boxes I was looking for regardless of filling the family box, plus filled that one in with more space than I could afford from any other brand and blew most of them out of the water on attainable MPG. Fast forward almost a year and I still love this car like the day I bought it.. if not more since the rear weatherstripping doesn't fall off when I open the door now LOL.

On the size issue, the size is welcome, as the car never really feels big. One of my favorite Mazda traits is the cars feel one size smaller than they are typically when driving. That rings true even in the Miata.. it feels like a motorcycle in size LOL :)

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
About me: I'm 44, divorced, no kids, Asian (Ha!), and I'm 6' 2". I was modifying Civics and competing in IASCA competitions before most of you were born (yeah, I'm old). I'm a tech geek that has to have all the latest tech, and I build gaming computers as a hobby. I live by the credo work hard, play harder.

Why the 6:
-As a single male in my 40's, most of the women I meet have kids and are looking for someone "responsible". This car is THE best combo of responsible and sporty.

-Performance - MPG's are unmatched. Long road trips always get me close to 40mpg. Daily commute nets me about 34mpg - same as my '12 3 iTouring Skyactiv. At the same time, I can hold my own at a stop light race, and merging into high speed traffic.

-Room and storage - Plenty of room for 4 adults, and was even able to fit a Samsung 60" LED TV in it, new in box.

-Mods - I'm old, but I'm not dead. My toys come first, probably why I'm still single. I'm past doing full on engine work, but not past bolt-ons. Corksport is my best friend. I've bought everything they have for the 6 except the front license plate relocation kit.

-Exculsivity - Of course, unless you're in Florida. Around Baltimore, I get looks and comments all the time as the car is extremely rare. My neighbor even asked me if "I had some type of special Mazda prototype" cause she has never seen my car before. Meanwhile, I'm here in Orlando and there's one around every corner...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
-Room and storage - Plenty of room for 4 adults, and was even able to fit a Samsung 60" LED TV in it, new in box.
LMAO!!! You and me both. I had a friend call me stranded with a TV at wal-mart because it wouldn't fit in his lexus. Dropped the seats and it fit with some wiggle room to spare, I'd say a 65" would be at the edge of the limits.. probably out of box would fit fine.

Also, I fit 5 full sized hay bales in this car. The mess was a #!$#% to clean up, but they fit! I asked the guys that loaded them if they'd ever seen that before.. they said most they EVER got in a CAR was 4 and from looking outside in they thought only 2-3 would fit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
OK, my turn. 42, married, 3 daughters (12, 9 and <1), but they are not allowed in my cars :p.
Changing jobs where my comute will go from 3 miles to work to 42 miles one way. Traded in my AWESOME tuned 2013 GTI for the Mazda6 6MT Touring for: Comfort, Space and Mileage.
This car is just a perfect blend of comfort and naughtiness. It handles well, and is a lot of fun.
I will be taking clients out to lunch/dinners and the GTI just did not cut it. The space in the 6 is great.
Finally, the GTI was doing about 30 mpg HWY, premium gas. The 6 does about 40 mpg, cheapest gas, over 40% savings.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm 48 and I graduated to the Mazda 6 out of the Mazda 3. I've had 3 Mazda 3's since 2004, and I loved them all, but I needed more comfort, and i wanted to stretch my legs. Plus the 6 is dead sexy. While I love the new look of the 3, i figured it was time to grow up and get into a new ride.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am 45 and knew it was time to get a little more of a grown up car to fit my 2 kids 10 and 8. I had the 12 speed3 and loved the punch of power it provided especially when at highway speeds, caught a lot of so called fast cars by surprise spooling up and leaving them behind from 75 to 100+. My M6 doesn't possess that type of power but man it sure looks GOOD cruising up the highway and as you get older you realize there really is no prize to beat some random stranger in a highway race. The M6 is arguably the best looking sedan out right now and with a few tweaks it can look even better. I love this car, maybe I'm not getting from point A to B as fast but I sure look good getting there slowly or shall I say a little slower.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts