Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting these, and wanted to hear from some people who have them. I know Forzda1 does and loves them, and perhaps Groceries... other than that, I don't know anyone with them.

So, if you have KMDs, please chim in. How long have you had them? What PSI does the pump hold through reline? Any problems?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Yup, I've got the first generation. I bought them from PG before they made the swap to the other failboat machinists.
I've had the internals in for a couple years. No problems. No funny noises. Boosted fuel PSI linearly.
As far as redline PSI, or pressure specifics, I haven't paid attention to it in so long that I cannot recall. But I can look this evening if you'd like.

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, I've got the first generation. I bought them from PG before they made the swap to the other failboat machinists.
I've had the internals in for a couple years. No problems. No funny noises. Boosted fuel PSI linearly.
As far as redline PSI, or pressure specifics, I haven't paid attention to it in so long that I cannot recall. But I can look this evening if you'd like.
That's awesome. Yeah, they have the new V2.1 out now... Forzda1 has the V2. I'm assuming the V2.1 fit the same as the V2s (or V1s for that matter). The sales rep wasn't very helpful... "many people with mazdas buy them." Yeah, thanks, lol. Dude, I'd be bumming something fierce if I got a bootleg set of KMDs and the pump crapped out again!! I'd prefer the CPE pump, but it's expensive and on back order for a bit. If I can get a new 'stock' pump from PTP before I return the old one, I'll be in good shape. I can fart around on the stock pump for a bit waiting for the CPE pump, if I decide against the KMDs. I'm super broke though, so it's hard to justify spending $625 on a pump, when the $300 KMDs may work just as well. You know anyone else w/ the KMDs or know of anyone w/ problems with them? If you're already going for a drive in your car, a log would be great (or eyeball on your DH). If not, don't sweat it. It's gonna be a few days either way here at least.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Off topic, but can I order this internals from KMD itself?. Their site doesnt say anything about mazda just VAG...

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Thats not a bad price at all... thinking of getting them when I get money this weekend lol... bday time...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
my 2cents

just wait for the cpe pump to be back in stock

sometimes you have to pay for quality and Peace of mind

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Interested in a CP-E Pump?

The best money can buy
Proof???

sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you just get ripped off for double what it's worth...

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Proof???

sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you just get ripped off for double what it's worth...
Gotta admit, I'm def leaning towards the CPE pump. I haven't heard of one case of the CPE pump failing, but countless PTPs and I've heard bad things about the KMD internals, except for my recent post asking about it. As you know CPE breaks their pumps in on some rig, and includes a sheet showing it's performance. That's the proof imo. I think it's more than just the "breaking in" though... there is something PTP is lacking that CPE has. Why else would there be a 3-4% fail rate w/ PTP, and like <1% with CPE?

CPE says they do "DLC" diamond like coating or something... I don't know if that helps or what... all I know is the CPE pumps are the only ones that seem to work right, without (or w/ very few) exceptions. I'm tired of the bullshit, which is the only reason why I'm leaning towards the CPE pump. Trust me, the last thing I want to do is fork over an 'extra' $250-300 for a fucking mod that adds no power, lol.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The day I get to upgrading my fuel pump (which most likely my children will), I'm going with the CPE pump. I've also heard nothing but good things about it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
.....sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you just get ripped off for double what it's worth...
How true.... I HATE paying extra for marketing hype...

You guys should do due-dilegence research on the CPE (and all others as well) hpfp before declaring it the "best", I did.

Some of the CPE pumps with some miles on them are beginning to rattle at throttle tip-in, when the AC kicks on, etc. Seems they have a decent internals piston/sleeve fit, but the piston diameter at the retainer end is much larger than the others and has an aftermarket spring diameter which doesn't fit snuggly on the retainer. It comes loose and apparently rattles against the cam follower. I haven't heard of any actual pumping failures from the issue yet, but there is the noise to deal with.

With Doogie's luck(?) and "analness", I don't think he could tolerate the rattling noise....

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'll tell you that i would feel alot less but-hurt if i had to pay $300 twice instead of $600 once. and i would WAY rather rebuild a pump twice with a new kit even if it was out of warranty and i had to pay for it than cough up $600 for a pump. For $600 they should send someone on a fucking plane to hold it on a silk napkin during flight and install the fucking thing, then blow me and walk home.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How true.... I HATE paying extra for marketing hype...

You guys should do due-dilegence research on the CPE (and all others as well) hpfp before declaring it the "best", I did.

Some of the CPE pumps with some miles on them are beginning to rattle at throttle tip-in, when the AC kicks on, etc. Seems they have a decent internals piston/sleeve fit, but the piston diameter at the retainer end is much larger than the others and has an aftermarket spring diameter which doesn't fit snuggly on the retainer. It comes loose and apparently rattles against the cam follower. I haven't heard of any actual pumping failures from the issue yet, but there is the noise to deal with.

With Doogie's luck(?) and "analness", I don't think he could tolerate the rattling noise....
I DID do my due-diligence on this compadre. I tired to anyways. I made at least 3-4 posts over a couple forums, and read a couple dozen responses. That's why I'm still posting... not sure about the KMD vs. CPE. I've heard some shitty things about the KMDs... not sure if you got lucky or what. As far as my 'luck' goes... the biochemist in me chalks all this bs up to probability. As far as being anal about the 'rattling noise'.. I'm not sure how loud it is?? I'm sure Biggie & TuPac would drown it out pretty quick...

I'll tell you that i would feel alot less but-hurt if i had to pay $300 twice instead of $600 once. and i would WAY rather rebuild a pump twice with a new kit even if it was out of warranty and i had to pay for it than cough up $600 for a pump. For $600 they should send someone on a fucking plane to hold it on a silk napkin during flight and install the fucking thing, then blow me and walk home.
That's cuz you're a... um, nevermind. I'd rather pay $900 for certainty that the pump would hold 1700+ PSI from 3K to redline each time, every time. I'd rather pay more, and not deal w/ bs, than cheap out and deal w/ the bullshit. If the KMDs are all they're cracked up to be, that's great. The PTP's definitely weren't all they were cracked up to be, and I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. Then again, I don't really have any enemies.... Ok, I wouldn't recommend them to a casual acquaintance.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Your new Sig sucks.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^ GFY

Some of the CPE pumps with some miles on them are beginning to rattle at throttle tip-in, when the AC kicks on, etc...
I read through the thread on msf, and watched the vids, and it seems like you will only hear that sound when you are listening super hard, lol. I would rather not have a rattling sound at tip in, but I could definitely live with it if the pump holds up fine regardless.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
well then ems settled it

Dougie sounds like you should stop modding and keep the stock pump, that one win for the internet, one loss for Al Gore......................... or you could just go buy a Z06

1 - 20 of 28 Posts