Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My front struts are shot and I need new ones, they're getting squeeky and starting to lose their ability to dampen. Backs are fine, but I might just replace em anyways. Wanted to know what everyone's experience was with the various brands you've all tried. I'm fine going slightly stiffer than OE (or the same) but I'm not looking to go full race mode.

I also was thinking about the motor mount and transmission mount mods. The car feels sloppy in traffic, I have to have razer sharp focus to drive smoothly and I'm tired of working that hard. As Ticker Guy has mentioned before its primarily the dual mass flywheel, but I was wondering if that character improved for anyone with the MTX who got stiffer mounts.

Thoughts?

Edit: I read the thread "What are you guys suspension setups?" which had some good info. If anyone who chimed in there doesn't mind writing a few sentences about what they like about their setup and if they have any gripes, I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
237 Posts
My front struts are shot and I need new ones, they're getting squeeky and starting to lose their ability to dampen. Backs are fine, but I might just replace em anyways. Wanted to know what everyone's experience was with the various brands you've all tried. I'm fine going slightly stiffer than OE (or the same) but I'm not looking to go full race mode.

I also was thinking about the motor mount and transmission mount mods. The car feels sloppy in traffic, I have to have razer sharp focus to drive smoothly and I'm tired of working that hard. As Ticker Guy has mentioned before its primarily the dual mass flywheel, but I was wondering if that character improved for anyone with the MTX who got stiffer mounts.

Thoughts?

Edit: I read the thread "What are you guys suspension setups?" which had some good info. If anyone who chimed in there doesn't mind writing a few sentences about what they like about their setup and if they have any gripes, I would greatly appreciate it!
First off, I would strongly recommend you do some research first in order to better diagnose your suspension issue. No matter how worn your struts are, they will never make any sort of sound. The "squeaking" sound you mention is more likely worn bushings or strut mounts which are relatively easy and inexpensive to replace with good improvements to suspension feel, but while you're in there you may as well replace your control arms which will likely be worn as well and, probably the best time to simply replace your struts and springs as well. Like i've mentioned before, I highly recommend bilstein struts as they are durable and offer both firmer control and better comfort over anything OEM. Tanabe springs make a good pairing because they offer a mild drop meaning you do get better body control but without any dramatic impact on ride stiffness.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, great advice, you know struts are shot and want good performance, replace struts!
New bushs ontop of that will remove sqeaks and a great drive for you, and anyone else who gets behind the wheel

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought the red JBR trans mount for my '16 Mazda 6 Touring MTX. When driving, the mount does "tighten" things up. I found that shifting smoothly is easier both when taking it easy and when I can drive spiritedly. On those merits alone, I'd definitely recommend one! It really is great when driving.

However, NVH increases...a LOT. At 750 and 1500 rpms, vibration is pretty bad, especially for a 4 door midsize family sedan. This is roughly where the car idles at a stop and where I used to land in the rev band when I would cruise. Increasing revs about 100 rpm or so does smooth things out (especially when the AC compressor is on), but the shake is still evident at a stop. I also select a gear where the car is at or above 1750 rpm when cruising. I bought the Corksport lightened flywheel pulley and that mitigated the worst of the vibration. I also started an OV tune where they added the bump in idle speed, which helps at stoplights.

Another possible issue is the resonance. It sounds like I added an aftermarket exhaust inside the car now, especially when coasting in gear. In fact my 1 yr old now blows raspberries in sync with when I'm off the gas. He does it now when playing with his cars too.

I think it was Solar who made a post about stiffening lower control arm bushings with urethane in the DIY section of this site. That was an easy mod that made a difference which I'd recommend. Just make sure to wear gloves when handling the urethane.

Hope this helps

·
Rally Racer
1,987 Posts
First off, I would strongly recommend you do some research first in order to better diagnose your suspension issue. No matter how worn your struts are, they will never make any sort of sound.
This does not match my experience. I have had more than one strut and more than one shock that have either "squeaked" or "groaned" audibly. By contrast I have never had "squeaking" bushings that were rubber. Polyurethane, yes, those bushings can squeak but not rubber, they usually clunk, pop, or allow grinding from the lack of isolation between the metal parts they seek to isolate.
The "squeaking" sound you mention is more likely worn bushings or strut mounts which are relatively easy and inexpensive to replace with good improvements to suspension feel, but while you're in there you may as well replace your control arms which will likely be worn as well and, probably the best time to simply replace your struts and springs as well. Like i've mentioned before, I highly recommend bilstein struts as they are durable and offer both firmer control and better comfort over anything OEM. Tanabe springs make a good pairing because they offer a mild drop meaning you do get better body control but without any dramatic impact on ride stiffness.
Sounds like a whole new suspension...
Keep in mind that if you lower the car and do not increase stiffness you will be bottoming against the stopper cushions more frequently. Mine went down 20mm and 30% stiffer and I am contacting the stoppers more frequently for sure.
Good luck @neonoggie , it should be nice whatever you do

·
Registered
237 Posts
This does not match my experience. I have had more than one strut and more than one shock that have either "squeaked" or "groaned" audibly. By contrast I have never had "squeaking" bushings that were rubber. Polyurethane, yes, those bushings can squeak but not rubber, they usually clunk, pop, or allow grinding from the lack of isolation between the metal parts they seek to isolate.
Sounds like a whole new suspension...
Keep in mind that if you lower the car and do not increase stiffness you will be bottoming against the stopper cushions more frequently. Mine went down 20mm and 30% stiffer and I am contacting the stoppers more frequently for sure.
Good luck @neonoggie , it should be nice whatever you do
You're 100% right, shocks (springs) absolutely will creak when worn but I don't believe this would be all that common on a newer car unless the mileage is high and you push the thing quite hard. I've never heard a strut creak even if it is worn to the point of leaking. Again I would assume the actual strut mounts is what makes that creaking sound which is common but I understand your knowledge and life experience when it comes to vehicles is quite comprehensive.

My main point, on the topic of suspension, is that I commonly see people planning to replace struts when there are many other parts in the suspension which get worn over time especially from abusive driving or going over speed bumps too fast and should be inspected.

Well, I did pretty much mention every single suspension component save for the tie rods... Much easier to just replace as much as you can at once while you have everything taken apart. I actually used to own a Mk4 Golf which which had an incredibly enjoyable chassis to say the least but the stock suspension on it was not very durable and left room for improvement... Didn't take much spirited cornering to the point where I had to be gentle around right turns because it because noticeably softer and more wallowy than the other side. I'm sure me being 200LB in a 2700LB compact car doesnt help, but I'm wondering if I did refresh the suspension, what parts should be addressed in particular if you want to ensure a tough track -type suspension? I've heard so much mixed reviews about polyurethane bushings specifically about them not lasting very long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts