Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Rally Racer
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been sitting here for hours and I cannot make heads or tales of certain tasks.
For example:
I cannot center my signature picture.
I cannot link a web page in a comment
I cannot edit a previous post to repair a broken (non-existent after update) link.
I cannot see and/or interact with polls (6OTM voting)

...and I have not explored much else to see what can (and cannot) be done because I have been trying to solve the above problems.

Forgive me if I am out of place here and this is normal for new forum roll out. If this is the case how long should one expect to have this functionality restored, or is it forever lost on this platform?

I mean nothing against anyone specifically. This community (esp. moderators) have been very good to me. I'm just trying to keep interest.

cheers

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't think the poll was up for that one this month anyway. I think it was missed due to them switching to the new format.

Edit: I just looked at my poll and it's showed up for me and is still live so IDK.

My experience so far is ok. It's a slight learning curve but some of the features are great so far. While we can't edit old post anymore (maybe they can fix it) it seems as if the site is faster. The old one seemed bogged and would take a few secs to load a thread.

I'm still learning it myself but I'm sure we can figure it out. We have some smart guys and gals here lol.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The only LARGE issue I have is that it appears the "go to first new post I have not seen in a thread" function is GONE. "Jump to latest" (that is, go to the LAST entry in a thread) is NOT the same thing.

That's IMHO a PRIMARY function that discussion forums have to have.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I second this, the new interface is aesthetically better in my opinion, but it lost a good amount of functionality in the process. This could also be due to the fact that we're all still so used to the old interface, but I hope they continue to improve this current one because it is missing a lot of features from the old one and also is a bit buggy (which is understandable).

·
Registered
679 Posts
When logging on every 3-4-5 days I would go to the latest posts column. That's now hidden at the bottom of one of the pages and only lists a couple of them. Trying to navigate to the most recent is next to impossible unless you have all day to surf around.

Def not a fan.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
For "new" posts, in other words, posts in threads you haven't seen yet:

To the right of the search bar, there's a button with an arrow, that shows "popular" when highlighted. Click it, and go to "New Posts".

Once the list appears, click on the main title of the thread, and it automatically brings you to the "new" post within the thread, or your first unread, whichever you want to call it.

Trust me, even Admins unfamiliar with the new software (read: me) are having difficulty with doing simple tasks, both with just reading/posting, and moderating. Like everything else, it's a learning curve.

If you have any questions, post them HERE or HERE. Also, take a moment to read through those threads to see if some of your questions have already been addressed. If not, post up there, and others who already know can help out, whether it's Admin, Mods, or other members.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
The only LARGE issue I have is that it appears the "go to first new post I have not seen in a thread" function is GONE. "Jump to latest" (that is, go to the LAST entry in a thread) is NOT the same thing.

That's IMHO a PRIMARY function that discussion forums have to have.
Agreed - I found the "jump to last post" but not the "last I haven't seen" - Will keep poking.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
I cannot center my signature picture.
Looks like you'll have to change your code - mine is centered perfectly and I didn't change a thing.

I cannot link a web page in a comment
I have no problem doing that so I don't know what's going on for you. Click Me, I go to Google!

I cannot edit a previous post to repair a broken (non-existent after update) link.
These two things are being discussed between me, GreyGhost, and the admins. They're working on giving everyone the correct privileges. They aired on the side of caution rather than to accidentally give everyone TOO MANY privileges.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Looks like you'll have to change your code - mine is centered perfectly and I didn't change a thing.

I have no problem doing that so I don't know what's going on for you. Click Me, I go to Google!

These two things are being discussed between me, GreyGhost, and the admins. They're working on giving everyone the correct privileges. They aired on the side of caution rather than to accidentally give everyone TOO MANY privileges.
Im sorry, but i call bull on that, being able to edit ones post isnt a security risk and is a basic feature.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Im sorry, but i call bull on that, being able to edit ones post isnt a security risk and is a basic feature.
Would you rather risk having an automated process that gives out privileges give everyone too many or too few? The process was completely done automatically and was referencing our multiple levels of privileges/user groups and hoping that it set the permissions correctly.

I'd air on side of caution, rather than accidentally giving EVERYONE mod access, thank you.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Would you rather risk having an automated process that gives out privileges give everyone too many or too few? The process was completely done automatically and was referencing our multiple levels of privileges/user groups and hoping that it set the permissions correctly.

I'd air on side of caution, rather than accidentally giving EVERYONE mod access, thank you.
What automated process? Setting permissions on a user group isnt anything automated. Editing posts is a basic permission for the default "user" group on any forum. You dont get "mod" privs just by signing up, that has to be handed out manually on a per case basis, so im not sure what youre talking about.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
im not sure what youre talking about.
Clearly.

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm genuinely curious: how do you think a large vBulletin database was transferred to a completely different one?

There's a reason all the badges are gone, why even I don't have full privileges right now, and why things like posts and attachments aren't working 100% - converting databases is extremely difficult and tedious, and can only be done either by hand (which would be ludicrous for 35k+ users and 2+million posts) or by a script.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Funny, when i converted a 1mil+ post, 100k+ user forum from vB to phpBB i had no issues with leaving everything turned on like normal. Some things arent compatible from software to software like badges and avatars, but permissions are such a basic thing, theres no reason to turn them off for an upgrade. (shrug)

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Funny, when i converted a 1mil+ post, 100k+ user forum from vB to phpBB i had no issues with leaving everything turned on like normal. Some things arent compatible from software to software like badges and avatars, but permissions are such a basic thing, theres no reason to turn them off for an upgrade. (shrug)
phpBB and MySQl are both fairly old and, let's face it, outdated database formats. BUT, they're highly compatible in that it's fairly simple to convert from one to the other.

Non-relational database formats are becoming much more convenient and popular as opposed to their older, slower, relational DBs such as phpBB.

Why a forum, a static, organized, completely predictable set of data would be moved to a non-RDBMS I have no idea, it would certainly create some new advantages and disadvantages based on the forum size. It's likely they're pushing these new changes to much smaller forums like ours first in order to get the kinks out before getting all the complaints from larger ones.

·
Registered
750 Posts
phpBB and MySQl are both fairly old and, let's face it, outdated database formats. BUT, they're highly compatible in that it's fairly simple to convert from one to the other.

Non-relational database formats are becoming much more convenient and popular as opposed to their older, slower, relational DBs such as phpBB.

Why a forum, a static, organized, completely predictable set of data would be moved to a non-RDBMS I have no idea, it would certainly create some new advantages and disadvantages based on the forum size. It's likely they're pushing these new changes to much smaller forums like ours first in order to get the kinks out before getting all the complaints from larger ones.
Who knows, but whats funnier is, the further we move from the old programming like COBOL, the greater need there is for people who speak it.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
the further we move from the old programming like COBOL, the greater need there is for people who speak it.
I'll chalk that up to Moore's Law and the steep advancement of technology to this point. People have no clue how overwhelmingly over-powered all their electronic devices are, including many of the software engineers. There's no need to write extremely efficient code when the processing power is 100x greater than you'd ever need.

And good 'ol COBOL - spent my fair share writing in that and I'm more than happy to be done with it :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
15 Participants
jman1200
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing