Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I took my IM (Intake manifold) off, to make my life easier for replacing my pcv. Which, the dealership ordered the wrong one, and are trying to ship in the old hose, rather than the new reinforced one, but that's another story.

While everything was off, I decided to clean up my IM and make the front valve cover a little more presentable. I had covered everything up, and I used just a wee bit of degreaser and a scrubby brush.

That was yesterday morning. This morning I put everything back together, and decided to start it up. Car cranks over, starts right up. I get out to double check everything, and the engine is smoking a fair bit from the front. Smells of burning oil. Shit.

It's kind of hard to determine where exactly it's coming from, but it appears that the smoke is coming from the top of the exhaust manifold near the O2 sensor at the front. Hard to really see. I didn't mess with anything around there. I don't know why it's like that.

Any ideas as to what would be causing this?

On a side note; the gasket on the right side coming from the valve cover has been a bit shot for a bit now, just because I haven't had the money to really fix it.. has anyone replaced that gasket themselves? I'd love to, but am not sure if it's too big of a feat for me.
I'd love to do it myself, but not really sure

·
Registered
611 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if there's oil getting on the front manifold, my guess is its probably the valve cover gasket I did mine back in December and wrote up a little DIY I'll link below

https://forum.mazda6club.com/engine-suspension-drivetrain/438242-3-0-valve-cover-gasket-replacement.html

there are some pics in this post of my valve cover leak
https://forum.mazda6club.com/picture-videos/435274-chris-2007-mazda-6s-hatch-7.html#post5030054

Both links are amazing. Thank you so much. Did you pick all the seals from your local dealership?

Also, mind me asking about how much it costed you for both banks?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Both links are amazing. Thank you so much. Did you pick all the seals from your local dealership?

Also, mind me asking about how much it costed you for both banks?
I ordered the valve cover gaskets from RockAuto (I went with Fel-Pro) and the OCV seals, if you decide to replace those which I would strongly suggest while youre already in there, from Twisted Tuning

Valve Cover gaskets $28+ shipping https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mazda,2007,6,3.0l+v6,1434579,engine,valve+cover+gasket,10710
OCV seals IIRC $28 after shipping https://twistedtuning.com/collections/mazda-products/products/oil-control-valve-seals-03-08-mazda-6s-3-0l-v6

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the valve cover gaskets from RockAuto (I went with Fel-Pro) and the OCV seals, if you decide to replace those which I would strongly suggest while youre already in there, from Twisted Tuning

Valve Cover gaskets $28+ shipping

OCV seals IIRC $28 after shipping

Do you personally recommend Fel-Pro?

Fel-Pro seems like a great buy for me with shipping, but I'll have to source out another place to buy ocv seals.. $20 for the seals, and $20.20 for shipping lol. I'm glad shipping for the Fel-Pro is only $14 though 🙂

Thanks again! You've been a great help.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Do you personally recommend Fel-Pro?

Fel-Pro seems like a great buy for me with shipping, but I'll have to source out another place to buy ocv seals.. $20 for the seals, and $20.20 for shipping lol. I'm glad shipping for the Fel-Pro is only $14 though

Thanks again! You've been a great help.

No problem, I’m usually out for the best deal, but for some things like gaskets I like to go with “name brands” rather than the cheaper alternatives.

A lot of people just use sealant if the ocv seals start leaking if you needed to you could probably get away with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts