Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a velocity red speed6 and I dont love the rims. However, I think they would look good if I powder coated them white. Looking for opinions about this look (white rims/red car) and white rims in general. I dont see many around. Here are a few before and after pics (photoshoped). Thanks in advance. Andrew.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Personally, I think black or gunmetal would look best on Velocity Red, but that's just my opinion. Easier to keep clean, too. White would look okay, but they will be a nightmare to keep clean. However, if you insist on white wheels, consider Team Dynamics wheels. They have a variety of white wheels, but chances are the offsets are going to be +45, so fender rolling will be necessary.

Team Dynamics USA

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah i agree with you - but im getting those too. Black rims with all weather tires for the winter season up here in new england. These white stock rims would be my summer wheels. The stock wheels have great tires, and I am just looking for a way to be happy with the look of the rims - stock i think they just look too busy. Here is a pic of the black rims I will be getting this fall, if i dont freak out too much about ordering from wheelmax.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I am just looking for a way to be happy with the look of the rims - stock i think they just look too busy. Here is a pic of the black rims I will be getting this fall, if i dont freak out too much about ordering from wheelmax.
[/b]
You think the stock wheels look too busy but you're considering that mesh wheel? That's an awfully busy design, too, IMO. If you want a clean look, consider the wheels I had on my 6, the PIAA FR-S. These would look hot on a red MS6. Please don't get a black wheel with a polished outer lip. Won't look good.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
toyo guy - i see you have a red mazda as well. what do you have against the polished outer lip? and do you know the difference between the black shades of rim - hyperblack, gunmetal...etc? i definitely want black rims sometime in the future. is it true that they show the most dirt? thanks, andrew

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
toyo guy - i see you have a red mazda as well. what do you have against the polished outer lip? and do you know the difference between the black shades of rim - hyperblack, gunmetal...etc? i definitely want black rims sometime in the future. is it true that they show the most dirt? thanks, andrew
[/b]
I don't have anything against the polished outer lip on a black wheel, I just don't think it will look good on a red 6. I've seen one or two on the board and I don't care for the way it looks. But, put that on a black or steel gray 6 and it looks much better. The PIAA FR-S has a polished ring, but it's set back away from the lip.

I don't know the specific differences between gun metallic, hyperblack, etc. I do know that photos never show the exact shade as they look in person. My wheels looked black in photos but in person are like charcoal metallic. Lastly, I got dark wheels because they don't show the dirt and brake dust. I sometimes go for a few weeks between washes and having wheels that don't show the dirt was a bonus for me.

Here's an example of black/polished lip on red. I mean no disrespect for the owner, as everyone's taste is different. You may like it, I prefer a solid black or gunmetal on a red car.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Don't do black....almost everyone here has black rims on their 6...do something that you would like...my personal preference would be like a bronze or gold rim on it...or if you can afford them 19" Racing Hart CX you can get them in Silver or Gold...both would look good on your car

·
Registered
490 Posts
I recently purchased a velocity red speed6 and I dont love the rims. However, I think they would look good if I powder coated them white. Looking for opinions about this look (white rims/red car) and white rims in general. I dont see many around. Here are a few before and after pics (photoshoped). Thanks in advance. Andrew.
[/b]
1st,
I like your idea of being individual. And keeping true to the theme of the Speed6 :)
The White would do it more justice than ppl think.
A) it would allow the mellow the red
B) it will set off the lower lines of the car
C) it does not look like everyone elses
D) it states who you are on an individual basis
AND, it will take a good design and increase it's benefit by just powder coating.
Also, a quality powdercoat will make it MUCH easier to spray off the grime and dust.
Just My view ;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
i really thought about getting white on my redfire, but where I'm at there are alot of ricers, and I'm pretty sure I'd get revved at all the time. But, the white would look nice.. a much nicer look compared to black, black looks more evil/bad ass looking..

·
Registered
979 Posts
I saw a red Honduh with White rims and it looked just ok.. I am not wowed by the combo as I am by other wheels.> I think tho if you like it then you should go for it.. It is after all your car... Just let us see whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
finally did it - powder coated stock rims white. cost $90/rim (plus the guy very nicely fixed some curb rash at no additional charge) i spray painted the center caps myself - which is why they dont match perfectly. chrome flying "m" snaps off and is easy to reattach. overall i am well pleased.

these are now my winter wheels. tires are pirelli sottozeros. they will be on the car for about 4 months before i rotate back to the stock summer tires and aftermarket rims. can't wait for snow.

pics attached.

if you are in new england area - the guy who did the work is. http://www.trgcoating.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Nice!! I like them alot.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yah they wont be easy to keep clean. i've applied a product called wheel wax and i'll see how it works.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I waxed my wheels, and they cleaned up alot easier afterwards.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
17 Participants
awh
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing