Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting one, but theres a lot to look at.
So I'll ask you guys.

What have you bought/installed, and from where?
If it's on your car, it's probably working right hehe.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I got the big mutha' shut yo mouth from Napa, works good lasts long time, but the one most everyone get is the HR (i think) and it work good last long time AND comes with mounting brackets, whereas the Napa one I had to frabricate custom zip-tie mounting brackets.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
B&M tranny cooler from Summit Racing. Cost is around $60 for everything including shipping. Depending on your location you can pick the size from there albeit anyone of them helps 10000%.

Also install a MagnaFine Transmission Filter at the same time. It takes less then 5minutes from added protection cost is $20 shipped.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a specific size you guys went with?

I've seen them as big as 'Heavy duty truck, and motor home' sized, and I havn't pulled the bumper off yet to see what kinda room there is.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool.
I looked into it and called around to few auto places here. Most of them didn't know what tranny cooler would fit with my car. Some even told me they 'don't make them yet'.

It's an 06' 4cyl.

Did the B&M have mounting brackets included, or did you have to fab something?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
how easy/hard are these to hook up?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I got the big mutha' shut yo mouth from Napa, works good lasts long time, but the one most everyone get is the HR (i think) and it work good last long time AND comes with mounting brackets, whereas the Napa one I had to frabricate custom zip-tie mounting brackets. [/b]
Yeah I got hayden one from "poser"boys and it was rated motor home use LOL! My tranny still works after like almost 2 years of usage so I guess it works

Cool.
I looked into it and called around to few auto places here. Most of them didn't know what tranny cooler would fit with my car. Some even told me they 'don't make them yet'.

It's an 06' 4cyl.

Did the B&M have mounting brackets included, or did you have to fab something? [/b]
I ghetto fabbed/Hill Billy Rigged my own brackets from home deopt. If you find crossbows how to pictures it's exactly like that. I put insulation around the line where it would possibly rub mettal or sharp edges.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I purchased the B&M Racing 70264 BMRacing.com.

I bought it from SummitRacing.com. It came in a kit with mounting brackets and some hose (althought I needed more for the install).

·
Registered
919 Posts
I purchased the B&M Racing 70264 BMRacing.com.

I bought it from SummitRacing.com. It came in a kit with mounting brackets and some hose (althought I needed more for the install).
[/b]
Same one i bought. Pretty easy install per instructions from this forum, and bought extra hose from Pepboys. :D

I occasionally check the bolts and hoses to make sure there tight.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I found a local supplier that stocks it, but they're closed today.
Can you guys give me an idea of how much extra hose you needed, and what diameter?
I'm going to swing by tomorrow and I'd like to grab everything at once :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
I picked up 4 feet of hose, and there was enough that I trimmed it to fit without a bunch of extra hanging all around. And I don't remember the hose dimension. I believe I went with 11/32, but it's been a while.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They didn't have 11/32 when I went :(
The guy gave me 3/8 (1/32 bigger). The barb seems to go in easy enough, and looks like it won't leak, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone tried 3/8, or does anyone know of a good way to test it?
I don't know what kind of pressure is going to be flowing through it.

Also install a MagnaFine Transmission Filter at the same time. It takes less then 5minutes from added protection cost is $20 shipped.
[/b]
I havn't found anywhere that has these, or where I can order it from.
Any ideas ??
Someone posted on it a little ways down the page, but the link they posted won't ship to Canada :(
I have a friend in the states that could probably help me out, but I'd rather find someone that will ship directly to Canada.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
They didn't have 11/32 when I went :(
The guy gave me 3/8 (1/32 bigger). The barb seems to go in easy enough, and looks like it won't leak, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone tried 3/8, or does anyone know of a good way to test it?
I don't know what kind of pressure is going to be flowing through it.
I havn't found anywhere that has these, or where I can order it from.
Any ideas ??
Someone posted on it a little ways down the page, but the link they posted won't ship to Canada :(
I have a friend in the states that could probably help me out, but I'd rather find someone that will ship directly to Canada.
[/b]
3/8 should work, sometimes even better, 11/32 can be a pain to get over the barbs. Just use hose clamps and you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This was pretty easy to do. Didn't install the filter, but it's pretty easy to pop off the air box, and add it later :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I still havent installed my tranny cooler yet, but i think im going to do it maybe this week or next week. I got the 70264 B&M tranny cooler from summitracing.com. As it sounds, everyone says its easy and the instructions look simple enough, hopefully everything will go smoothly....

·
Registered
67 Posts
All the information here is already posted elsewhere, but to sum it all up. Dont be intimidated by the install its all easy, you could do the Tb bypass as well at the same time (have some spare Coolant near by) 3/8 is fine, just check up on your clamps to ensure your holding the pressure. you can buy the filter here: http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/order_page.htm you do not need the 3/8 connector thingie, thats for putting the filter on metal lines. a total of 8ft of hose is plenty, i threw away the hose that comes the kit, and bough some better 11/32 hose from pep boys for $12 per 4 1/2 ft. As for mounting, go to the link on Maza6tech.com for installing the 6cyl cooler, dont use all the zip tie things. otherwise just follow everything in the 4cy page (if you have a 4cy that is). the part 70264 is 14,400 BTU/24,000 GVW, thats cold, probably to cold for some climates, but if you run hard on your tranny, then its good. Good luck with it all, well worth it.

SLCATENZA

·
Registered
366 Posts
All the information here is already posted elsewhere, but to sum it all up. Dont be intimidated by the install its all easy, you could do the Tb bypass as well at the same time (have some spare Coolant near by) 3/8 is fine, just check up on your clamps to ensure your holding the pressure. you can buy the filter here: http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/order_page.htm you do not need the 3/8 connector thingie, thats for putting the filter on metal lines. a total of 8ft of hose is plenty, i threw away the hose that comes the kit, and bough some better 11/32 hose from pep boys for $12 per 4 1/2 ft. As for mounting, go to the link on Maza6tech.com for installing the 6cyl cooler, dont use all the zip tie things. otherwise just follow everything in the 4cy page (if you have a 4cy that is). the part 70264 is 14,400 BTU/24,000 GVW, thats cold, probably to cold for some climates, but if you run hard on your tranny, then its good. Good luck with it all, well worth it.

SLCATENZA
[/b]
Thanks man for the info, i think im going to attempt the install maybe today or tomorrow depending on the wheather. Ive read the posts on mazda6tech.com and it doesnt seem difficult, so im not too worried. Ill post again when i get it installed. Thanks again for the info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts