Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Potenza RE050A 225/45 18" or Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S for my RX-8 rims? (both are the same price) I'm not a racer, and honestly I don't know if i'd notice a difference. I put about 16k miles on a year (in VA), so the potenza's would be dead each year, where the nero's would last about twice as long? I realize that the potenza's are high performance, but I will be keeping my stocks since I can get minimal $$ for them. So the question is, will I REALLY notice a difference in my 6s. Keep in mind this is the first sports car I have ever owned, and I'd had it less than 2 weeks. If I will notice big difference, is it worth an extra $900 every two years (since the potenza's wear out faster) when I could be using that for other upgrades... Or SAVING money!

And have any of you ever had the Nero all season tires? Or do you see the words all-seasons and turn the other way and never give them a chance?...the reviews I read say they are sweet tires...

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
They are good tires from their respective catagories. But the RE050A > Nero M+S in terms of dry and probably wet performance. As always, ok summer tires will always outperform the best all season tires. Of course the only downside is you can't use the RE050A in the winter.

And it all depends on how you drive. if you only drive hard occasionally, then it might be in your best interest to stick with the all-seasons. However if you drive hard often and crave for more performance, you'll sure to love the summer tires. I have a set for summer and an all season set. When the warm weather hits or autocrossing time, that's when the summer tires comes out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think (and hope) the biggest difference will be reduced noise throughout the life of the tire.

12 months and 19 thousand miles ago I purchased my 2006 Mazda 6s Grand Sport and it came with the 18" Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S tires. They looked good and felt great, even in heavy rain at 75 mph. But around 10 k miles, I started noticing low speed ( under 45 mph) tire noise as if one of them had a slipped belt or scalloped tread pattern or something similar. While at the dealership for a warranty repair (fan control module) I had them rotate and inspect the tires. They told me the Pirellis were wearing faster on the inner portion of the tread, causing the noise, and they saw a lot of this because of the 6's negative camber specs. Since the Potenza RE050As has a tread construction that is claimed to compensate for this,
"A continuous circumferential rib adjacent to the inside shoulder blocks enhances wear quality to help reduce noise throughout the life of the tire, especially on cars with alignment settings that specify negative camber. " I'll give them a try when my Pirellis finally wear out.

I can also say the Pirellis are wearing very well otherwise and look as if they'll go about 40 k miles.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Dawei and Laser both have good points.

Its all were you live and how you drive. You'll notice that while Pirelli's are all-seasons, that there is difference in the all-season category with other tires. If you just want a daily driver tire, without purchasing anything else, go with the pirelli's, or maybe some other all-seasons in the same price range. If you want performance to the max, get the Potenza's, and a winter-tire set. Now, with the Pirelli's in winter time, you will be able to get by and drive. However, the Pirelli's sacrifice traction, as they have less siping (on a noticeable level) in order to maintain cornering.

To recap my jumbled info

If you live in a place with/want this out of your tire

-Snow and occasional ice/Don't want to open up alot with your tire: Pirelli's.
-Down south where its warm (or if you're willing to get a winter tire set, up north)/want real performance: Potenzas.

Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts