Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so i've decided to use synthetic in my 6. a few questions:

1. which synthetic oil do you prefer, and why?

2. which weight do you recommend? i live in los angeles. 5w30?

3. how many quarts does the v-6 require? my mazda tech doesn't know (!!). he says they'll change the oil for me, but i have to provide the synthetic oil myself.

4. any oil filter recommendations? i'm thinking k&n myself, but i'd like differing opinions.

as always - thanks a bunch! :)

nick

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: which synthetic oil for my 6s?

I'm running with mobil 1 and love it. Engine sounds better and rev's smoother. I'm using mobil 1 5w-30. You could go with a redline or royal purple, but if you not racing your car mobil 1 will be fine. I would also change out the tranny fluid if you have a manual tranny for the red line stuff I'm running (see sig) I changed my oil @1,800 miles

·
Registered
77 Posts

I have run Mobil 1 0w30 in my Probe since I got it and it has run like a top for all 106k. I am not sure if I will use 0w or 5w when my 6s arrives, but I know it will be Mobil 1. They aren't fibbing when they say that it is the purest synthetic oil out there. The term synthetic oil is something that you have to be careful of. There is not much regulation on who can use it and who can't. Take Castrol for example, it is re-bagged conventional oil and they call it synthetic, which is why it sludges up your engine like nothing. The small valves used in Mazda engines love Mobil 1 becasue it does not sledge up. This was why I started using the 0w in my Probe, because the KL03 Mazda V6's used in the Probes suffer from valve tick and even in some cases deterioration. Using the quicker flowing 0w did the trick to get rid of the tick, no pun intented. My $.02 is that Mobil 1 is the best stuff out there and my baby only eats from the top shelf...

·
Registered
17 Posts

The only synthetic oil in 5w-20 I have been able to find is Amsoil. I know almost nothing about the company, so until I can find Mobil 1 in 5w-20 or something like it, I am just going to use the regular stuff, and be sure to change my oil often. If anyone knows of a good 5w-20 synthetic, please let me know, but I dno't plan on putting anything in my new engine other than what Mazda reccomends.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Mobil1 recently introduced a 0W-20 that meets Ford's specs for 5W-20 (WSS-M2C153-H). I will probably switch to that when the vehicle reaches it's first scheduled service at 5k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts