Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm thinking about putting the original 17s in storage and buying an aftermarket set with tires. Now, the stock size is 215/45. My primary concern here is rim protection, since the roads here are so unpredictable (bad experience with my first 6.)
So, now, 215/50 would be about 22mm larger in diameter, which would increase speedometer error and cause acceleration to be a bit weaker, but affords better protection in ruts and potholes, but not much against sidewalk rubbing.
225/45, however, is only about 9mm larger, provides better protection for the rims against sidewalk rubbing, but not as much protection from potholes and ruts as the other one.
Fact is, I have an extra set of 16s complete with 225/50 Potenza G3's lying around, but I'm seriously inclined to go stay with the 17s on my new 6 and keep the 16s in storage (I'm already using another set of 16s on my older 6 after the original 17s died and went to Automotive Heaven.)
Hmmm. suggestions?

·
Registered
922 Posts
i'm assuming the weather is not a factor here? if i had to choose i'd go with Bridgestone RE-01R's for dry traction.. they are awesome...

others would recommend the toyo "anything"

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I was asking about the sizes.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your presence has been felt. You can crawl bacl under your rock now. :laugh:

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,570 Posts
It sounds like the roads there are a mess. You may want to consider the size that's going to protect the whole rim itself and not just the sidewall.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'd rather have too much sidewall than too little, so I might downsize to 16" and go for the 225/50 or even 55, just like I did with the first 6. Now I just have to find rims with enough offset. I found some brand new same-as-OEM ones, but I have to check the quality.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts