Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. I don't own a 6 yet and I've heard that the car only requires 87 octane (regular unleaded) fuel. Any of you use premium?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Replying to Topic 'W

Not again :sarc

Christ Almighty......click HERE then type in Octane then click "search"...it really is that simple.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: Which Octane (gas) do you use in your 6?

Whoa, just asking a question. Forgive me, but I'm still a "noob" to this site. Anyways I used the search and found little discussion as to what type of fuel economy people are using.

·
Registered
652 Posts

Sorry, rough morning for me....

But this topic has been beaten to death here. Try refining your search. There is plenty about octane and some about mpg as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Which Octane (gas) do you use in your 6?'

Originally posted by Kristoff

But this topic has been beaten to death here.  Try refining your search. There is plenty about octane and some about mpg as well.[/b]

Hehehe...If you really want to see flaming try going to VWVortex and asking if the 1.8T or the VR6 is the better engine.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by Guy Legend

Whoa, just asking a question.  Forgive me, but I'm still a "noob" to this site.  Anyways I used the search and found little discussion as to what type of fuel economy people are using.[/b]
Short answer is stay with 87. No benefits from going higher and I have found that I feel like I lose power at 91/93. Once some ECU tuning becomes available, running premium might make some tangible power.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

Yeah I brought this issue up a few weeks ago. Everyone told me to just use 87 Octane. Thread compiled like 50 posts though.

I agreed, but I told my fellow clubmates that I would beat them all up if I was embarrassed by some granny in a Altima 3.5SE. They all laughed and said she'd probably beat me no matter what I use! :(

·
Registered
269 Posts

I haven't read the other posts, but I disagree. I look at it like this... It says to use premium fuel on the fuel door so that's what I'm going to use. If I'm wrong no biggie, but if you are running 87 and it's too low.... you could get some mild detonation. I'll go with the premium. It's not that much more expensive.

Jon

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

Originally posted by Jonnyspeed6s

I haven't read the other posts, but I disagree.  I look at it like this... It says to use premium fuel on the fuel door so that's what I'm going to use.  If I'm wrong no biggie, but if you are running 87 and it's too low.... you could get some mild detonation.  I'll go with the premium.  It's not that much more expensive.

Jon[/b]
I can hear that strange silence like just before a hurricane hits.... :sarc

·
Registered
269 Posts

I was not trying to insight a riot :) I'm just saying what I am going to do. To each his own. It's my baby and it's not worth the gamble to me.

Your actual mileage may vary, read the fine print, tip your waiter, etc...

Jon

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

I haven't read the other posts, but I disagree.  I look at it like this... It says to use premium fuel on the fuel door so that's what I'm going to use.  If I'm wrong no biggie, but if you are running 87 and it's too low.... you could get some mild detonation.  I'll go with the premium.  It's not that much more expensive.

Jon[/b]
You do know that the only place it says use Premium fuel is on the chrome and satin pearl fuel doors right? The fuel doors that are standard don't have any indication as to what octane to use. However, the manual says to use Regular so that's what I am going to use.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

Originally posted by Absolut

Jon[/b]
You do know that the only place it says use Premium fuel is on the chrome and satin pearl fuel doors right? The fuel doors that are standard don't have any indication as to what octane to use. However, the manual says to use Regular so that's what I am going to use.[/b][/quote]
Yeah I was going to mention that as well. It has been theorized that the Satin and Chrome fuel doors are actually manufactured by a different company which puts the stickers on them. ALL auto enthusiast magazines, including Car & Driver, say the car uses only 87 octane. They even put this is a distinct advantage over the premium fuel gulping Altima 3.5SE.

·
Registered
269 Posts

That's cool. It doesn't really bother me to put Premium in... I have to use it in the Jetta and my Sportbike anyways...

Jon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Originally posted by Kristoff

But this topic has been beaten to death here.  Try refining your search. There is plenty about octane and some about mpg as well.[/b]
Hey, it's cool. :)
Anyways, just asking cause one of the local gas stations has 87 and 89 for the same price. The reasoning is that their 89 is composed of 10% ethanol, so their trying to promote it.
I don't think a higher octane will hurt the car at all, right? Does the Mazda 6s require only 87 octane as well?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts