Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon to post my 6 and my journey and the long list of repairs and mods I'm going to do to the girl. The biggest one I'm going to do are coil-overs, which brand or parts should I look for, on a budget. (2004 longtop/ wagon, 3.0 v6, current stock suspension)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Coilovers are not something that you want to go cheap on. The 2 "budget friendly" ones that I can think of are the Megan Racing ones that I know some people have ran and then there is the Godspeed Project that appear to be Megan clones for a little cheaper. However, I'm not aware of anyone running these yet. I have strongly considered running the Godspeed Project coilovers vs the Megan just to try them out.

I do have to say that I have a sedan vs the long top so I'm not sure of the ones that you would need.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yeah it really is and that's 1 reason I haven't done it yet. Plus my car isn't quite ready for them yet.

There is someone on here running Raceland coilovers that installed them not to long ago. If you use the search and type "raceland coilovers", it should pop up. They are about 1/2 the price of the Megan but I'm not sure of the quality or customer service.

·
Rally Racer
2,270 Posts
Soon to post my 6 and my journey and the long list of repairs and mods I'm going to do to the girl. The biggest one I'm going to do are coil-overs, which brand or parts should I look for, on a budget. (2004 longtop/ wagon, 3.0 v6, current stock suspension)
I am with @DJ Raydiate on this one. A second consideration is finding a set that will work with the wagon. @hurddawg has some experience with this but I don't think it was straightforward.
If you are looking to go low (like barely driveable low) then an airbag system may be the way you want to go. Otherwise Eibach has one of the last wagon specific lowering springs available on clearance right now.
Eibach Pro Kit Wagon 3.0L $122
If you don't want to bash the long front overhang on everything then King Spring out of Australia has a set that will drop half as much and still give you a 30% increase in rate.
Good Luck.
Send Pics

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Super cool, coils were very low on things of need on my list. But having the info on why I shouldn’t is good too lol. And how did you get a pic of your wagon below each thread you post @DrFeelGood ?

·
Rally Racer
2,270 Posts
Super cool, coils were very low on things of need on my list. But having the info on why I shouldn’t is good too lol. And how did you get a pic of your wagon below each thread you post @DrFeelGood ?
I took a pic and cut it out using Photoshop. I then shrunk it to 200 x 66 pixles in MS Paint. I then clicked on my avatar above and selected [Account Settings] then went to [Signature] along the left side and dragged it into the text field. Done.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you are looking to go low (like barely driveable low) then an airbag system may be the way you want to go.
@roadhonky , this right here. However like I had suggested to another member earlier this week, a combo deal would give you the best of both worlds. Whatever coilover set I get, they will be accompanied by an air cup lift kit. These are cups that ride on top of the coilovers and give an extra lift on the fly for bumps, potholes and curbs. These cups are mainly for low speed and only to clear objects. Once cleared then it's best to drop the car back down on the springs.

20191006_084520.png

20191006_084559.png

This will add another $1200 to the build but the end will be well worth it to not scrape the nose on things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my answer, turns out coil-over and air lift kits are completely opposite of what I'm looking for! A less extreme more commuter-car-but-still-sporty option of changing the struts and springs is what I should be doing. I watched a ton of stuff on coil overs and it was weird and misleading... But hey, if I still got my long-top after high school and well into adulthood then my 6 will be, possibly, tuned for the drift track... maybe...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mazda 6 Reverse Drifting League is underway haha! The 6's fwd format makes it feel awd almost (personally). So my brain is scattered with drive trains because of too many past cars and too many drive train formats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts