Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been discussed a bit but one thing I have noticed is that noone ever really posts impressions after 5K, 10K, it's always like the first 300 miles or so.

With that in mind, my stock clutch is about ready to go. I can't complain it has lasted 120K miles (though I drive mostly highway but anyone in Mass knows that doesn't mean smooth sailing all the time, stupid ass 95 split).

I am trying to decide between the CM FX2000 and the Exedy Stage 1 clutches. The car is a 2004 6s Hatch and will remain NA so no need to be able to have holding power for 100 more hp or anything like that. How have people's experiences been with these two clutches? My primary concern is the life of the clutch as I hope to get 250Kish out of the car and will not want to change the clutch again to get there.

I have also seen stories that a lightened flywheel can help with the gas mileage which is obvious something I am concerned with. I am doubting the increases that I am seeing though. Does anyone have good data on this? I would only go to the Exedy 16 lb. flywheel as I want to maintain some ease of operation as because of aforementioned traffic issues I end up in a lot of stop and go traffic. Is there any gain here for real or should I just have the stock flywheel machined?

Also, does anyone know any good shops in RI or the Attleboro, MA area? This is one job I won't want to do myself, but since I do most other things myself, I don't really have a guy. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I'd edit your title or sub title to reflect the fact that you're looking for owners long term reviews. This might gain more activity. Most will probably think its just another "which clutch' thread with that title.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
QUOTE (smastroyin @ Jan 20 2009, 07:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1507178
It's been discussed a bit but one thing I have noticed is that noone ever really posts impressions after 5K, 10K, it's always like the first 300 miles or so.

With that in mind, my stock clutch is about ready to go. I can't complain it has lasted 120K miles (though I drive mostly highway but anyone in Mass knows that doesn't mean smooth sailing all the time, stupid ass 95 split).

I am trying to decide between the CM FX2000 and the Exedy Stage 1 clutches. The car is a 2004 6s Hatch and will remain NA so no need to be able to have holding power for 100 more hp or anything like that. How have people's experiences been with these two clutches? My primary concern is the life of the clutch as I hope to get 250Kish out of the car and will not want to change the clutch again to get there.

I have also seen stories that a lightened flywheel can help with the gas mileage which is obvious something I am concerned with. I am doubting the increases that I am seeing though. Does anyone have good data on this? I would only go to the Exedy 16 lb. flywheel as I want to maintain some ease of operation as because of aforementioned traffic issues I end up in a lot of stop and go traffic. Is there any gain here for real or should I just have the stock flywheel machined?

Also, does anyone know any good shops in RI or the Attleboro, MA area? This is one job I won't want to do myself, but since I do most other things myself, I don't really have a guy. Thanks.[/b]
I had the same concerns over going with the Fidanza FW over the Exedy....let me tell you.....it was unfounded. The first week I definitely had some adjusting to do..I stalled out a couple of times, but I drove for 5 1/2 yrs on the OEM clutch and FW....and like any car, you quickly adapt to the new feel. Another thing.....damn does it accelerate quicker in 1st and 2nd with that light weight FW.
My recommendation is to go ahead with the lighter (Fidanza) FW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
dfw6er
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing