Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I did some searching and I saw a lot of people refer to "synthetic" brake fluids or DOT4 fluids ...

Which brands can I trust ???

Should I get what RPM has on their website ??

Also I have a MTX, so the clutch uses the same fluid, right ?

thanks.

ok, I found a Valvoline SynPower Brake Fluid DOT 4 here, is this a good one ?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Brake fluid is brake fluid, tranny oil is tranny oil. Brake fluid is in the hydraulic braking system but gears, axle bearings and clutch are lubricated by the transmission oil. Never mixed.

I don't know much about the brands that you mentioned. Personally, I prefer to use Motul because it's well-known.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
To an extent the "brake fluid is brake fluid" statement is very true. For the most part the main difference is just the blending levels to obtain a higher boiling point.

"Well that higher point must make it better." Hmm. Not really 'better' only capable of higher temp operation.

"Well my brakes run real hot so this will definitely help." Maybe. But only if you're boiling the fluid currently in the car. Seldom if even seen on a road going car it's more common on open track days.

The more proper way to look at it is; if you're not boiling the fluid you're using then you're operating well within the level of the fluid. Granted over time this fluid does become more water saturated and that boiling point will drop.

"Ah, then adding that 600^ stuff is going to be better in the long run!" Sadly, no it's not. To obtain and operate in that upper level of temperatuire the blending is now far more suseptable to moisture absorbtion. In short it breaks down much faster and can in short order can be equal to or even less stable than what you removed.

Mixing of DOT 3 or 4 is fine and adding a higher boiling point fluid will simply average out the % of each of the old and new fluids. A nice full flush is certainly a wise idea if you have the time to do it. On the other hand if your fluid is 2-3yrs old and the car still stops fine with a firm pedal and you never see a race track...there's really no significant gains. Certainly no need for "Racing fluid".

·
Registered
487 Posts
Use DOT 3.

The owner's manual says: SAE J1703, or FMVSS116 DOT-3

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey guys, I did some searching and I saw a lot of people refer to "synthetic" brake fluids or DOT4 fluids ...

Which brands can I trust ???

Should I get what RPM has on their website ??

Also I have a MTX, so the clutch uses the same fluid, right ?

thanks.

ok, I found a Valvoline SynPower Brake Fluid DOT 4 here, is this a good one ?
[/b]

I have Valvoline SynPower Brake Fluid, I think mine says compatible with DOT 3 and DOT 4. It's decent and cheap, and it's widely available. It's better than the stock fluid that Mazda calls "Mazda High Performance DOT 3 Brake Fluid", haha. SynPower has higher boiling point.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Some friends of mine run a motorsports shop and they say one of their best selling fluids is Castrol SRF Racing Brake Fluid. Note that there customers more than likey have a aftermarket brake kits and probably demand a higher end fluid. When I hit 30k I switched to Valvoline synpower and it has been working fine since and I'm at 45k. The other thing is Castrol SRF runs for a whopping $75 and wont be need on a oem brake setup, I have a Retora kit coming i the mail so I will have to do the research on Quadriga
GS610 (which is a great fluid) and the Castrol SRF fluids.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts