Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the 6/Atenza offers three choices of body style, which is the most preferable?

We all know the sedan and the hatchback are stylish and nimble because they are lighter, would anyone consider the heavier wagon? Does the extra weight of the wagon hurt the performance and handling?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Which body style do you prefer?'

like many other people, i prefer the hatchback. It was the first atenza body style i had seen and i just loved it. I was very disapointed to learn that only the sedan is available in the US for now...

will the hatchback cost more than the sedans? does anyone know if it will be available with 6-cyl?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Reading Topic: Which body style do you prefer?

Well being in Australia the sedan, hatchback and wagon are also available, after some serious thought I picked the sedan, one of the main reasons is that HATCH is already so common, 98% of the Mazda 6ers i've seen on the road are hatchbacks, hence my decision to be alittle different.

In Australia the hatch is $1000 AU more expensive then the sedan, that's about $650 US..

cheers

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

In NA, the cargo space of the wagon is very useful, but it would sacrifice performance and handling. Maybe when the wagon is equipped with the 3.0L V6, then it might make up for it. But the wagon doesn't look as good as the sedan or hatch, is it?

Is it true that wagons/minivans/suvs are at higher risk of breaking in since they don't have a "covered" trunk? Then getting the wagon isn't a good idea?

T

·
0 Posts

IS the hatch back even available stateside yet?

·
Registered
262 Posts

Originally posted by Tysonu74

IS the hatch back even available stateside yet?[/b]
Not until possibly the end of 2003, but more likely the first quarter of 2004.

As for my choice of body style, well, I think my signature speaks for itself.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

I want a AWD hatch, love that hatch :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Come thinking about it, the wagon with V6 should be a good choice. But is the wagon really bad? I'd say no to the hatch due to insurance reason.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

Hatch would've been my choice. The versatility of the wagon without the wagon look. Although the wagon looks quite nice.

·
Registered
27 Posts

If the hatch were available in the states, I'd already be a 6 owner.

Over here very few hatches sell well. I was just told by a Lexus dealer than they are taking the wonderful IS300 SportCross out of production in the states, due to low sales.

I guess I'll save up some cash over the next 9 months or so while we wait for the hatch here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Originally posted by Gecko_2k2

What is the difference between the hatch/sedan/wagon insurance wise?[/b]
I kind of forgot the insurance premium is calculated by # of doors, not body styles. My insurance agency said the Mazda 6 is having higher than avg. premium because the car is sporty. :(

·
Registered
736 Posts

Originally posted by melvincat03

Originally posted by Gecko_2k2

What is the difference between the hatch/sedan/wagon insurance wise?[/b]
I kind of forgot the insurance premium is calculated by # of doors, not body styles. My insurance agency said the Mazda 6 is having higher than avg. premium because the car is sporty. :( [/b][/quote]

While not what I wanted to hear since I am 18, I am going to get the 6 anyway. Its that Mazda feeling.. ;) Anyway, I don't see how they can truly call it a "sports car".. I thought that was reserved for coupes.. Damn, and here I thought I'd get away with getting the 4-door. :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yeah! Mazda feel! The 6 should be able make you popular, and it should bring a lot of attention.

BTW, which style has better cargo or more user-friendly, the sedan or hatch?

·
Registered
230 Posts

I bought a 4-cylinder 6 sedan, but if the wagon had been available in Canada when I was buying, I think I would have bought it. I really like the look of the wagon, especially in the red colour that is darker than the Redfire of the sedan (I don't know what it's called). The wagon would also have more cargo space, although the sedan already has plenty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Which body style do you prefer?

OIC! I was wondering whether the engine of I4 wagon with automatic be too burdened? And does the wagon handle as well as the sedan?

·
Registered
230 Posts

Unless the wagon is significantly heavier than the sedan, I think the 4 cylinder would be more than adequate, especially with the manual transmission. My 4-cylinder sedan with manual is wonderfully peppy, and I think the wagon would likely be much the same. As far as handling is concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't quite as good as the sedan, but if it uses the same suspension set up as the sedan does, I would think it should be close.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Originally posted by melvincat03

Yeah!  Mazda feel!  The 6 should be able make you popular, and it should bring a lot of attention.

BTW, which style has better cargo or more user-friendly, the sedan or hatch?[/b]
Without a doubt, the hatchback has better cargo space and is more user-friendly. A larger entry space for the trunk and completely flat-folding rear seats support my opinion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Chemist,
As for the auto tran, many reviews said the tran absorbed some of the engine power. So the manual should be relatively more powerful than the auto. But I don't want a manual in a wagon. From Japan's official site, the curb weight for sedan is 1340-1360Kg, hatch is 1360-1410Kg, and wagon is 1390-1430Kg. We'll have to calculate the power-to-weight ratio in order to find out if the I4 is adequate for the wagon then. Surprisingly, the hatch is heavier than the sedan!

robgtaasc
So the hatch and wagon have better cargo than the sedan then. The hatch looks the sportiest among the three, and it has better cargo than the sedan. Yeah! The hatch should be very popular!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts