Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
It's in the TB on the side where the electrical plugs are.

I know what your planning. Good luck.
[/b]
Surely he's not talking about that little solenoid? Anyone would already know what that is. He's got to be asking about something else, right?

So what's the clever idea? Make the TB cable operated?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's in the TB on the side where the electrical plugs are.

I know what your planning. Good luck.
[/b]
um, no ya dont :)

I have to bring my car in for service and the throttle actuator was one of three reasons I was getting CEL's. The other CEL's had to do with gas cap and the MAF.

I figured out the MAF issue... a hose fell off from the side of the airbox. I plugged it up tho with a screw. I have no idea if the MAF CEL relates to the throttle actuator CEL... and well, i dont know if i still have all the parts from the airbox mod, as they are at my parents house. I was going to revert before bringing it in, if still possible assuming i have the parts, back to the stock airbox setup. Anyway, i was just worried that the tech would notice my AB mod and deny warranty service or whatever, so Im debating on telling him that i fixed the MAF issue. I wanted to know where the throttle actuator was so id know how close he'd be near the airbox , lol

·
Registered
426 Posts
um, no ya dont :)
I have to bring my car in for service and the throttle actuator was one of three reasons I was getting CEL's. The other CEL's had to do with gas cap and the MAF.

I figured out the MAF issue... a hose fell off from the side of the airbox. I plugged it up tho with a screw. I have no idea if the MAF CEL relates to the throttle actuator CEL... and well, i dont know if i still have all the parts from the airbox mod, as they are at my parents house. I was going to revert before bringing it in, if still possible assuming i have the parts, back to the stock airbox setup. Anyway, i was just worried that the tech would notice my AB mod and deny warranty service or whatever, so Im debating on telling him that i fixed the MAF issue. I wanted to know where the throttle actuator was so id know how close he'd be near the airbox , lol
[/b]
I think it's unlikely they'll try to deny warranty service b/c of your airbox tinkering. Did you happen to remove the MAF when you were doing your airbox work?

The part you're calling an actuator is a tiny little solenoid with an attached gear about the size of a dime, and it's inside the TB. It's little gear is what turns the shaft to which the throttle plate is attached. If I remember right, it's that little wiener that's the source of the TB troubles that often occur. They will almost certainly just replace your TB entirely. They wont open the unit.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's unlikely they'll try to deny warranty service b/c of your airbox tinkering. Did you happen to remove the MAF when you were doing your airbox work?

The part you're calling an actuator is a tiny little solenoid with an attached gear about the size of a dime, and it's inside the TB. It's little gear is what turns the shaft to which the throttle plate is attached. If I remember right, it's that little wiener that's the source of the TB troubles that often occur. They will almost certainly just replace your TB entirely. They wont open the unit.
[/b]
ah ok...

ya think i should jus come clean with the tech and say i did the airbox mod, and i realized the hose fell off causing at least the MAF CEL? I never messed with the actual MAF until a week ago when i cleaned it using electric cleaner spray, but this was obviously after the fact of me getting the CELs, and, it wasnt even that dirty to begin with.

Since i plugged the hole with a screw and disconnected the battery for the ECU to reset, ive noticed a huge difference. But i do sometime get a little hesitation still, and the rpms dip almost 500 when im idle, going from 900 to near 500 several times.... but hasnt thrown a CEL yet from that since i plugged the hole.

·
Registered
426 Posts
ah ok...

ya think i should jus come clean with the tech and say i did the airbox mod, and i realized the hose fell off causing at least the MAF CEL? I never messed with the actual MAF until a week ago when i cleaned it using electric cleaner spray, but this was obviously after the fact of me getting the CELs, and, it wasnt even that dirty to begin with.

Since i plugged the hole with a screw and disconnected the battery for the ECU to reset, ive noticed a huge difference. But i do sometime get a little hesitation still, and the rpms dip almost 500 when im idle, going from 900 to near 500 several times.... but hasnt thrown a CEL yet from that since i plugged the hole.
[/b]

No I'd try to find the problem first myself. I think at least some, if not all, of your CEL's may be from something you did. If you come clean, you'll be charged for the service. And the worst part is the TB CEL may just be a coincidence and they'll charge you to fix that too.

In what order did the MAF and TB CEL's appear and how close together in time? Also, when you d/c'ed the battery, are you saying neither CEL reset? Is anything pending?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I'd try to find the problem first myself. I think at least some, if not all, of your CEL's may be from something you did. If you come clean, you'll be charged for the service. And the worst part is the TB CEL may just be a coincidence and they'll charge you to fix that too.

In what order did the MAF and TB CEL's appear and how close together in time? Also, when you d/c'ed the battery, are you saying neither CEL reset? Is anything pending?
[/b]
ok well after thinking that plugging the AB hole and disconnecting the battery solved the MAF issue, which it may have, i guess i still have a TB issue, or maybe a MAF issue, i dont know, but i got a CEL today since i made that fix. I was in 2nd gear and let up off the gas, the car bucked once and i got the CEL, and total loss of power. I had to restart in neutral to get power again. Ever since i plugged the hole and had the ecu reset from the battery disconnect, it has slowly decreased in performance and smoothness. When i did that fix i noticed a HUGE difference (not bucking when i let off the gas in 2nd gear), but it only lasted a few days.

i dont know how close in time or order they appeared. I basically started getting CEL's like mad a few days after i bottomed out the car. I was getting them for about two weeks b4 i finally was able to bring the car in. The tech looked at the stored CEL's and said i had 12 of them, all 3 different kinds (gas cap, MAF, and TB act)

I believe he said he found a problem with the gas cap harness, so he ordered me a new one. But he said it was extremely weird for me to get the MAF and TB CEL's at the same time. He said bottoming out (i blamed it on the wife, lol) would have caused neither of those issues

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got everything fixed with no mention of the AB mod. YAYYY.

now i just need the ecu to recognize my style of driving again cuz the car feels slower lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
TRiPLE 6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing